Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:27 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...sure you did.

Now to my question: when did you start having sympathy for victims of American bombings?

That's between Japan and their victims. None of my business.

They can't help themselves, Dane. Forget it.
None of our business, perhaps, and of course the enemy is the enemy for all practical purposes during war, but when you consider the difference between what most citizens in most countries want vs what their leaders THINK they want, you might find the source of at least some sympathy for farmers, women and children, families just wanting to get by in life, suddenly finding themselves on the wrong end of an atomic bomb due to no real doing of theirs.

And so I think Obama does well to point at how we all need to think awfully hard when it comes to getting beyond the brink. Almost always in these conflicts, if it were up to the everyday citizens, there would be peace rather than war. It's the "powers that be" who are always primarily responsible, so who shouldn't have some sympathy for the innocent bystanders killed no matter what the war and no matter what the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I've spoken about this at length with people here and don't get that impression at all. Most Japanese don't expect an apology but they do appreciate seeing an American president visit Hiroshima and display sympathy for the victims of the bombing.
Enlightenment not so dark it would seem...

Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I said, most Japanese don't expect an apology. I also talked to many Japanese I know, they don't view this as a good move because many dont want to be reminded of the history this way at all.
Yes, many Japanese at least took pride that it was the Americans defeated them. It is a fact. I honestly don't know exactly what you disagree with.
I visited the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin not too long ago. I suspect the Germans probably feel the same way about all that like some Japanese feel about this, as Americans feel about slavery, and so on...

Many claim these monuments to man's inhumanity to man are necessary to help us not repeat our mistakes. For others they serve as a form of closure and/or manner in which to acknowledge those wronged by these tragedies and injustices are not forgotten.

I find it hard to be critical either way, when it is not my direct family or loved ones involved. For victims and their families more directly affected, however, these memorials and ceremonies have great meaning in all variety of ways. A bit of respect and acknowledgment along those lines is what Obama is right to do, like maybe the rest of us should do too...

Old 05-27-2016, 10:39 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I visited the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin not too long ago. I suspect the Germans probably feel the same way about all that like some Japanese feel about this, as Americans feel about slavery, and so on...

Many claim these monuments to man's inhumanity to man are necessary to help us not repeat our mistakes. For others they serve as a form of closure and/or manner in which to acknowledge those wronged by these tragedies and injustices are not forgotten.

I find it hard to be critical either way, when it is not my direct family or loved ones involved. For victims and their families, however, these memorials and ceremonies have great meaning in all variety of ways. A bit of respect and acknowledgment along those lines is what Obama is right to do, like maybe the rest of us should do too...
I don't disagree with you. After all, the ONLY point I was making is that perception is reality. Some, many, whatever word you choose to use, would still view this as an apology tour. Is it fair, no. But just like the Bitburg controversy, it opened a can of worms.

My brother served in the USMC, he has been in combat, he fortunately has worked through all his emotions. My boyfriend, however, is still struggling with trust issue. (with certain religion) His grandpa fought the Japanese during ww2. Different generation of veterans, same loss, pain. They don't see what we see.

everybody who has seen combat has lost something, friendship, brotherhood, limbs, some even lost their common sense. Yes, understanding is a two way street. Healing only starts when it is not forced. I can see why some people who lost their loved ones in war would be offended by this visit. Their feeling should be respected as well.

So let people vent, no harm done.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-27-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree with you. After all, the ONLY point I was making is that perception is reality. Some, many, whatever word you choose to use, would still view this as an apology tour. Is it fair, no. But just like the Bitburg controversy, it opened a can of worms.

My brother served in the USMC, he has been in combat, he fortunately has worked through all his emotions. My boyfriend, however, is still struggling with trust issue. (with certain religion) His grandpa fought with the Japanese during ww2. Different generation of veterans, same loss, pain. They don't see what we see.

everybody who has seen combat has lost something, friendship, brotherhood, limbs, some even lost their common sense. Yes, understanding is a two way street. Healing only starts when it is not forced. I can see why some people who lost their loved ones in war would be offended by this visit. Their feeling should be respected as well.

Yes, perception is reality when considering what people think is reality, but none of that should be confused with what is truth and what is not.

Obviously perception and/or reality is quite different for different people depending on their mental inclinations, but there is only one truth, only one universal reality, regardless what people may think or argue to the contrary...

You, for example, continue to have the perception of "apology," and continue to foster that perception with others by describing it so, but just as perception can just as easily be misperception, I think you mostly suffer from the latter given what facts we all share as to what Obama actually said and did.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes, perception is reality, but obviously that perception and/or reality is quite different for different people depending on their mental inclinations...

You, for example, continue to have the perception of "apology," and continue to foster that perception with others by describing it so, but just as perception can just as easily be misperception, I think you mostly suffer from the latter given what facts we all share as to what Obama actually said and did.
No, I don't view this as an apology tour. I said, MANY would still view this as an apology tour even if it is not.

I am Japanese/German/Hawaiian/Irish. I cringe whenever there is a ww2 talk because listening to people talking about my "ugly" culture is hard to swallow. but I deal with it. I understand what this tour can do to people like me. I let people vent, no harm done.

see? before you condemn somebody, maybe you should stop making this assumption about somebody. You don't know me. Like I said, perception is reality. this applies to you as well.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:57 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:

My brother served in the USMC, he has been in combat, he fortunately has worked through all his emotions. My boyfriend, however, is still struggling with trust issue. (with certain religion) His grandpa fought the Japanese during ww2. Different generation of veterans, same loss, pain. They don't see what we see.

You keep claiming perception is reality. It is not. As far as the military, it is a small percentage of the worlds population. I fail to see how your brother & your boyfriend have anything to do with a presidential visit to Hiroshima.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You keep claiming perception is reality. It is not. As far as the military, it is a small percentage of the worlds population. I fail to see how your brother & your boyfriend have anything to do with a presidential visit to Hiroshima.
It is just an example. The point I am making is that even if some people who view this as an apology tour, I can understand why.

Millitary might be a small percentage of the world population, but the whole country fought ww2, there are many still suffering from the pain of losing their loved ones. This is the point I am making. So people will vent however they want to. Everyone heals at their own pace.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
WEll now.... here is something interesting....

First let me say that Obama did not apologize.... but it is interesting that we have conflicting reports.

NYT has this transcript.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/wo...apan.html?_r=0

of particular interest this quote from UPI:
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-Ne...?spt=sec&or=tn
""Let all the souls here rest in peace, for we shall not repeat the evil,""

That line is not in the NYT transcript. Nor can the actual audio be found evidently. if someone has the audio please post.

but at this point it appears that someone is wrong. Either one side is trying to smear the president, or the other side is trying to protect him.

Last edited by Ferd; 05-27-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 11:05 AM

617 posts, read 349,172 times
obamabots are obamabots to the end. How terribly, terribly sad to think like they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies