Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:25 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, it doesn't change the DNA that is inherited. But it does change how that DNA is expressed, and those changes themselves can have multi-generational consequences, as the changed reaction to stress is repeated, and even amplified, in subsequent generations.

I think it's pretty hard to make the case that American blacks ceased experiencing the social and emotional consequences of enslavement the moment Lee surrendered.
Unless you can show an unbroken line of the same stress and the same behavior resulting from that stress from the enslaved generation to the present generation, you can't link to slavery using epigenetic inheritance. With the first individual who does escapes being seriously stressed or doesn't cause his female partner stress while she's pregnant, the link to slavery is broken. If the stress and its subsequent stress related behavior then occurs in the same family line a generation or two later, it may be epigenetic inheritance but the stress wasn't caused by being held in slavery but by some other cause like suffering extreme hunger, something that affected millions of pregnant American women, white and black, during the worst of the Great Depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 01:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Maybe it will be replaced by welfare trauma

Old 05-28-2016, 01:46 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
It's just another poor attempt to get money for reparations.

These idiots will stoop at nothing to get "free" money.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,476 times
I dont really agree with the racial part of it but I do think that there IS something to it. For example shyness. People who come from cultures that were constantly under assault tend to be introverted much more than people who come from cultures that were powerful.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:00 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Oh NOOOO!! We have another excuse??? Another explanation presented for the behavior of some black people, or any other people that have endured traumatic events in their life. Interesting to say the least. The Trauma of Slavery Is Encoded In The Genes of Black People - Atlanta Black Star
So actual science that shows racial differences exist, including average IQ, and is heritable is not believable but this voodoo theory is.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,513 times
One more reason for not being accountable.....

Old 05-28-2016, 02:01 PM

31,021 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so trauma passes down from generations to generation in black people, but no other races? i smell a huge load of bravo sierra here.
I guess the 1400 years of Institutionalized Slavery in Islam must have really ingrained itself on their slaves? I wonder if the theory would hold for President Obama with no slaves but slave owners in his dna

Old 05-28-2016, 03:02 PM

27,130 posts, read 15,308,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I guess the 1400 years of Institutionalized Slavery in Islam must have really ingrained itself on their slaves? I wonder if the theory would hold for President Obama with no slaves but slave owners in his dna

Feelings of Grandeur?
Superiority?
Entitlement?

Old 05-28-2016, 03:32 PM

31,021 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Feelings of Grandeur?
Superiority?
Entitlement?
Hmmm, that would explain a lot. Maybe the theory that the op addresses has credibility

Old 05-28-2016, 03:45 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I dont really agree with the racial part of it but I do think that there IS something to it. For example shyness. People who come from cultures that were constantly under assault tend to be introverted much more than people who come from cultures that were powerful.
The same for mental illness, especially schizophrenia. I do not get how people are becoming upset, because science is proving that stress does cause depression and other problems. We don't ask to be stressed and we damn sure did not ask to be born to endure this mess here in America. You want to get mad? Get mad at the damn people who caused the stress and believed what they were doing was right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies