Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 04:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Who does that?
I'd tell you exactly which posters do that here, but I believe it's against TOS to call out specific posters. Go read the Illegal Immigration forum and any "English should be the official language" type threads and you'll see which posters I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 09:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Look, there's a difference between wanting to enforce the laws, a d the rhetoric coming out of white people's mouths. But you're a white man at best, or an Uncle Tom in denial at worst, either you can't see it or refuse to see it. I feel sorry for the few decent white guys on here who have opened their eyes up, but too many either are so combative, or choose to bury their heads in the sand and pretend what they say has no effect on anyone at all

It's one thing arguing for enforcing our immigration laws and rules from a law and order perspective, and quite another when you approach it from a racial demographic and cultural superiority angle.
If you can't win, throw out racism.

Quote:
Insisting that your government enforce it's border controls (which it is Constitutionally required to do) isn't "xenophobic". But calling it "xenophobic" is definitely deranged and out of touch with Reality.

The only people that routinely try to damage Reagan's image are Leftist hacks who will never understand him.

You're welcome.
Refer to the above.

Quote:
Who does that?
Hardly anyone, but when you are losing, go to the race card.

Quote:
I'd tell you exactly which posters do that here, but I believe it's against TOS to call out specific posters. Go read the Illegal Immigration forum and any "English should be the official language" type threads and you'll see which posters I'm talking about.
Just quote them, that's not against TOS.

Some people believe "English should be the official language in the US" is a racist statement. English should be the official language. It benefits society when people can effectively communicate and it saves money.

How many languages should we be printing all documents? Don't tell me you are racist to black people because you're not insisting all government documents are immediately available in Swahili.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Republican Party of Ronald Reagan was not the Southern fundamentalist xenophobic party we have today. While it did have an element of that, Reagan had a diverse coalition and he did some things that today's GOP would never sign off on. He had a very progressive policy towards immigration for instance. Reagan paid lip service to the religious right but I am not sure to what extent he thought we should be a theocracy like today's GOP candidates do. While his economic policies are rightly criticized and a lot of people were left out, a lot of the country did pretty well in the late 1980s. After he left office up until his death in 2004, he was widely thought of as a successful President.
I don't know where to start. Donald Trump is not the current Republican Party. The country will learn that. Trump panders to the theocratic right. Reagan made some noises in that direction as well. As for immigration, in those days the immigration issue was Christian Hispanics, not Muslims. Christian Hispanics generally do integrate into the U.S. Christian Hispanics did not plunge planes into buildings. The immigration politics is very different now.

Quote:
Today however, due to the fact the modern GOP has remade Reagan into their image, he has become much more polarizing and his image has taken a beating. Would anybody else agree with this?
No I wouldn't. When Reagan ran in 1980 he was seen the way Ted Cruz is now; a far right and dangerous man. Just read any issue of the New York Times (except notably its editorial page). Reagan was very polarizing. The fact that he succeeded in simplifying the tax structure, igniting an economic boom and ending the Cold War successfully created the modern reinvention of Reagan as a well-regarded centrist.

For the record I voted for Carter in 1980, and Reagan in 1984, feeling he was well on his way to doing his job.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:52 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
It's easy to walk away from the past if you have no collective memory. The GOP is good at deep-sixing their history...and presidents once there is a wide recognition of the mess they made. The Bush family is in the dumpster, Reagan was tossed on the heap, Nixon is considered a national embarrassment and never mentioned. That leaves Gerald Ford , who was never elected. Eisenhower is mostly remembered as a war hero. Folks born after 1980 have no remembrance of Reagan and could care less so his legacy means nothing to them. Not many people make an effort to sing his praises other than ideologues talking to themselves.

The GOP became a catch-all for every crazy right-wing group and turned obstructionist because they couldn't reach a consensus to support a viable policy agenda. Opposing Obama was the only thing they could agree on. Reagan would never be nominated today.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I agree with you but if Republican candidates concentrated on the economic effects of illegal immigration, in particular the effect it has on jobs and wages for low skilled workers, and left out the cultural stuff they could get a greater share of the Hispanic vote.

"Cultural stuff"?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's easy to walk away from the past if you have no collective memory. The GOP is good at deep-sixing their history...and presidents once there is a wide recognition of the mess they made.
I'll take your hatchet job President by President:
  1. The Bush family is in the dumpster, - I'm not crazy about Bush I. Bush II had the bad luck to be caught in an economic meltdown that was the tail end of a 15 year boom. And having to fight a war because Clinton shirked his responsibilities on Iraq;
  2. Reagan was tossed on the heap, - I don't get this one. He won the Cold War and left behind a peaceful, prosperous and inflation-free country;
  3. Nixon is considered a national embarrassment and never mentioned - Quite true but he's mentioned plenty;
  4. That leaves Gerald Ford , who was never elected - Did a pretty good job and took the politically unpopular but right step of pardoning Nixon;
  5. Eisenhower is mostly remembered as a war hero - Quite true
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Folks born after 1980 have no remembrance of Reagan and could care less so his legacy means nothing to them. Not many people make an effort to sing his praises other than ideologues talking to themselves.

The GOP became a catch-all for every crazy right-wing group and turned obstructionist because they couldn't reach a consensus to support a viable policy agenda. Opposing Obama was the only thing they could agree on. Reagan would never be nominated today.
Maybe folks born after 1980 have no nostalgia for "duck and cover" or the Vietnam draft, both Democratic ideas.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Look, there's a difference between wanting to enforce the laws, a d the rhetoric coming out of white people's mouths. But you're a white man at best, or an Uncle Tom in denial at worst, either you can't see it or refuse to see it. I feel sorry for the few decent white guys on here who have opened their eyes up, but too many either are so combative, or choose to bury their heads in the sand and pretend what they say has no effect on anyone at all

It's one thing arguing for enforcing our immigration laws and rules from a law and order perspective, and quite another when you approach it from a racial demographic and cultural superiority angle.
Good to see your racism out in the open. Always best to know who does and doesn't have a defective heart.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Exactly, you stick to economic arguments. Anything else is politically foolish at best and racist at worst.
I've read that posters posts in this thread. Definitely racist.

Quote:
I talked to a Hispanic plumber who was complaining about those using illegal aliens and hurting him financially. He was reduced to supervising illegal aliens on jobs for $9.50 an hour.
Exactly. Many Hispanics are against illegals because they know flooding the market hurts their bottom line. They're not stupid.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
like this racist post?

Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed
Look, there's a difference between wanting to enforce the laws, a d the rhetoric coming out of white people's mouths. But you're a white man at best, or an Uncle Tom in denial at worst, either you can't see it or refuse to see it. I feel sorry for the few decent white guys on here

Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
The Republican Party of Ronald Reagan was not the Southern fundamentalist xenophobic party we have today. While it did have an element of that, Reagan had a diverse coalition and he did some things that today's GOP would never sign off on. He had a very progressive policy towards immigration for instance. Reagan paid lip service to the religious right but I am not sure to what extent he thought we should be a theocracy like today's GOP candidates do. While his economic policies are rightly criticized and a lot of people were left out, a lot of the country did pretty well in the late 1980s. After he left office up until his death in 2004, he was widely thought of as a successful President.

Today however, due to the fact the modern GOP has remade Reagan into their image, he has become much more polarizing and his image has taken a beating. Would anybody else agree with this?
I'd contend the party left 'us'... Those who believe in a smaller gov, voting with your feet, and a truly limited role of both the president and the checks and balances of federalism.

While Reagan said a lot of good things, his policies did help move us more in the direction of where we are now: bloated gov, bloated debt, unsustainable deficits.

All in all, I'd still take him over 90% of the republican leadership in power today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies