Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:05 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,485,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
People are nuts. They project their own issues onto animals.🙄
Anthropomorphism. Yes. A male silver back is not "caring" for a child in his habitat. We'd love to think so, but it's not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:15 AM

24,384 posts, read 23,035,605 times
I remember a trip to the Philadelphia Zoo where these kids would run past the tigers cages to get them upset so they'd bang against the bars. It was right around feeding time. Animals do instinctively what's natural. People do idiotic things because its natural. I hope the kid got a mouthful of ape poo water.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,485,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I remember a news story from a few years ago where a kid fell into a gorilla enclosure. In this case it was a female gorilla that seemed to be protecting the kid. The kid was unconscious and the gorilla seemed to be tending to him and keeping the other gorillas away. Can't remember all the details but they got the kid out fine and they didn't shoot the gorilla.
Yes! That was an incredible event. Female gorilla and she took the little kid to the door where he could be collected. But it's so important to remember the difference between stories. Harambe was a silver back male, no maternal instinct there. And, if I recall correctly, the female in the other story had an infant of her own. Something as simple as hormones can contribute to an entirely different outcome.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:56 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,887,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I $&*# you not, there are idiots on social media that blame the killing of the gorilla as an example of white privilege. Yep, and they say he was captured and "made a slave". Yes, there are people that are such a bunch of racists that they make THIS about race. That if it had been a black kid, they wouldn't have shot Harambe.

Too bad they are too stupid to get the facts first. Like the fact that the kid happened to be black.

I guess it's all that "genetic stress" kicking up again.

What do you expect? These people view themselves as permanent victims, always looking for the next opportunity to be oppressed, and Liberal Democrats need a permanent underclass to even exist, so they foster this mentality.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They should have tried tranquilizers. If the gorilla ended up killing the brat, well too bad. Gorillas are endangered; humans are not.
Takes too long for tranqs to work. Getting hit by a dart could further enrage the animal.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,619,187 times
You have to look at the parents for the blame. This horrible killing of a rare gorilla sits at the feet of the self absorbed parents. I know had it been my son I would have had him by the hand. The parents were probably on the phone or texting and couldn't be bothered taking care of their child. Don't be surprised if the parents don't add insult to injury by sueing the zoo.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 AM

26,445 posts, read 15,041,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The child that fell into the Silverback's habitat, causing the gorilla to be shot to death, was black. I wonder how that figures in their narrative?
White privilege includes parents watching their kids so they don't climb into enclosures and fall several feet into moats?!?!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
But the Zoo apparently reacted badly and may have lost an opportunity for a fantastic story. Gorilla saves child. Now its Gorilla gets murdered. Boycott that zoo, IMO. Any hint of a lawsuit by that child's parents should result in them being charged with neglect and being counter sued for financial damages, though.
How about this for a story: Zoo lets unpredictable 400 pound Gorilla drag tiny 3 year old around for several minutes until fatal injuries occurred.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:04 AM

33,983 posts, read 17,018,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
^^ This. The parents should be held financially responsible for the gorilla at a bare minimum. The zoo should consider issuing lifetime bans to that family as a matter of principal as well.

A sad situation, and while I agree gorilla had to be killed, I agree with the above.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They should have tried tranquilizers. If the gorilla ended up killing the brat, well too bad. Gorillas are endangered; humans are not.
Are you serious?

Tranquilizers take several minutes with a big gorilla and they can become more agitated until they pass out. The 3 year old has bad parents, he shouldn't die over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies