Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is also a cultural issue. Other ethnicities have different preferences.

Would whites be interested in joining the rappers club?

Would whites be interested in joining the Mariachi club?

It doesn't have to be limited to certain cultural groups I think the Scouts (both the ones for the boys and the girls) have universal values and skill building opportunities that transcends cultural barriers. They're struggling to adjust to current socioeconomic and cultural realities.

Given that the younger generations are more ethnically, culturally diverse, if the Scouts want to continue to thrive into the future (and they're facing declining membership numbers - as are many youth groups) - they'll have to adjust and adapt to new conditions. Fortunately, from the article, they seem to recognize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I'm trying hard to keep the blind from crying BIGOT.
Look at that - someone finally came up with a new twist on "I'm not racist, but..."

Old 05-31-2016, 11:48 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I would say the girls scouts has been a suburban club - so the problem is costs to participate and location- location- location-- also not sure if Latina a or Black moms like the idea of the cookies either -- I had 3 boys -but I hate the cookie selling thing --
It's a $10 registration fee. Nothing onerous. My daughter's troop leader was black, and we had whites, blacks, Hispanics. If people want more people of color in the Girl Scouts, then sign your kids up for it. It's really a great organization.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Clearly somewhere, somehow white people must be racist, or at least not sufficiently welcoming. Since we all know that all groups are the same in all ways, the explanation that white people just happen to like conservation, camping, volunteering, citizenship, etc. more than blacks and Mexicans is not an acceptable explanation.

The Girl Scouts of the USA Is Struggling to Recruit Hispanic and African American Scouts - The Atlantic
Like I said, nobody give a crap about the Asians.

By the way, where are the LBGTYQSADFAEW people? Does the Girl Scout have enough diversity not including them?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
"Plenty"?
You make it sound like an epidemic....are we talking 2 in 10? I don't see that all....However there are times where we have a deal that has to close during a practice or two...sometimes we do get wrapped up in our work (some wouldn't know anything about that) as we have private schooling and college tuition's to pay for...oh and we have to keep those EBT cards flowing as well.
Yes, plenty.

And what the heck is that bolded part supposed to mean? The parents who volunteer have demanding jobs and bills to pay, too. And, yes, it's incredibly frustrating to have to beg and plead for somebody, anybody to volunteer to lead an activity or camp out. It's the same eight parents who do EVERYTHING, even in a suburban neighborhood where the average income is $150k plus and housing values range from $450k on up. Do you think we don't have demanding clients/bosses to satisfy and college accounts to fund and lawns to mow and meals to cook?

Last edited by randomparent; 05-31-2016 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's a $10 registration fee. Nothing onerous. My daughter's troop leader was black, and we had whites, blacks, Hispanics. If people want more people of color in the Girl Scouts, then sign your kids up for it. It's really a great organization.
Here locally, there are groups that will pay the registration fee.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is also a cultural issue. Other ethnicities have different preferences.

Would whites be interested in joining the rappers club?

Would whites be interested in joining the Mariachi club?
This. I live part-time in a city that is one of the most diverse in the nation. I do a lot of mountain climbing. I never, ever see black people high up on the trails or on the climbs. EVER. I'll see them very infrequently down low near the roads on the low foothills. Beyond that? Nope. I figure it's just something that doesn't interest them. So to each their own.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM

248 posts, read 172,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Look at that - someone finally came up with a new twist on "I'm not racist, but..."
Believe it or not I have many friends that are hispanic, black, asian...etc...I'm a huge fan of quality humans...you don't have to be any color, you don't have to be rich...just quality. Unfortunately, and my friends will say it as well...there are many within their culture who make them look bad and they too are fed up. JUST ACT RIGHT PEOPLE! This world is pretty simple...just get it right.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
What I've seen is they don't even want to drive them...they'll make their 9 year old walk or ride their bike 3 miles across town to get to practice. It takes way to much effort to be involved with your children...just ask them.
Kids need to get off their asses and walk!

My dad almost NEVER gave me a ride to my games as a kid. My brothers and I grabbed our bats, gloves, helmets, pads, or basketballs and WALKED to the local fields or the gym to play our games. Almost all of the kids in my neighborhood did that. Mommys and daddys didn't run out to go buy a new Suburban so that they could transport kids all over hell's creation. You were expected to get yourself to your own activities in my house.

Only way we got a ride was if we played in a neighboring town. Even then, it was nothing for me and my pals to get on our bikes and ride to games in Tempe or Mesa.

Nowadays, parents drive their kids around the block.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Believe it or not I have many friends that are hispanic, black, asian..
"Some of my best friends are..." is a bit of a classic, too, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies