Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:41 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
And when California comes crying to the federal government when they cannot meet their looming unfunded public employee liabilities they will become dependent on all of us. Thank goodness I left that insane state.
Don't hold your breath, the state's pre-funding is adequate and they are doing very well both by increasing employee contributions, and offering less generous pensions to new hires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 01:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,229,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Don't hold your breath, the state's pre-funding is adequate and they are doing very well both by increasing employee contributions, and offering less generous pensions to new hires.
They can; in no feasible way; make up the shortfall. But it will be fun to watch them try.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:55 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are two big errors in your post. Having the largest number of poor people does not mean that California is the "poorest state". In 2014 California had the 9th highest median income in the US @ $61,993

Regarding the "mass exodus" that is truly laughable, the population of California is 39 million, the net migration in 2014-2015 resulted in an increase of 103,503 people a number only topped by two states, Texas and Florida.

It's always wise to fact check your claims.
True.

SF doesn't well represent all of California in all respects, but the dynamics of net migration are similar in many parts of the state...

"Around here, the going price for a two-bedroom is over four grand a month."

A good rule of thumb is that, on average, two new jobs are enough to justify a new housing unit. But that hasn’t been the case in San Francisco. In fact, since 2011, more than a half-million jobs have been added to the Bay Area economy, but only 100,000 new housing units built, one for every five new jobs.

These San Francisco activists say build in my backyard | PBS NewsHour

Speaking of migration and in particular many of the comments in these threads about migration, even more specifically how Hispanics take jobs that other Americans need, I noticed yet again that all the housekeepers at the hotel were Hispanic. Anyone travel and notice any other Americans filling those jobs? Ever? Anyone know any white kids that have ever applied for a hotel/motel housekeeping job? Ever?

Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
$463,600 / $61,489 = 7.5x the median household income in California.
$155,400 / $52,576 = 3.0x the median household income in Texas.

Would you rather pay 7.5x your income for a house or 3.0x?
You ask the above question as if the answer is obvious, but really? Why not pick Arkansas or Iowa???

I did not start this thread to tout California best in these other respects or all respects. I simply wanted to counter the argument so common among conservatives that Democratic leadership is an automatic trip down the path of economic ruin and tyranny. Since California is one of the few states as blue as can be, and since California doesn't do all that bad in many ways, pretty well actually, these are facts for thinking conservatives to reconcile.

Thinking conservatives might also do well to consider both the positives in these regards as well as the negatives, not just the negatives (like EugeneOnegin seems inclined).

Of course I would rather pay less for cost of living including less for a home, all else being equal, but all else is NOT equal when it comes to Texas vs California, for example, or Arkansas or Iowa...

For me anyway, if this is the topic rather than Democratic leadership, I don't like paying more to be in California, but I am glad to be in California over these other places many times over, at least 7.5x more, for lots of reasons!

Again if cost of living is the issue, that's a different subject covered fairly well here if you like, and/or FYI...

The 10 Least Expensive States to Live in the U.S.

The difference? Location, location, location.

Golan’s Moving and Storage reports that around 43 million Americans move each year — around 60% of people move for work, military, or government, and another 40% move for personal reasons. For those who have the option to choose their location — they’re unattached, they’re retired, or maybe they work from home — living costs may play a large role in where they decide to relocate.

If you’re looking for a low-cost place to live with cheaper housing, groceries, and utilities, reviewing the cheapest states is a good place to start. This list of the cheapest states uses data from the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center and other resources. Each state is ranked by its cost of living index, as of the first quarter of 2014.

The 10 Least Expensive States to Live in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies