Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:54 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I know. At least in Alabama we can criminate gainst them queers and not have are christian rights violated.
Wrong. Good Alabamans would know that the drag queen is probably packing more then just some male anatomy and that "beat the freak" doesn't fly in shall-issue states. They should come to NY to indulge in that. You can also have serial hold ups of Dunkin Doughnuts and slash people on subways with impunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The population has gone up by over 100,000 in my county in CA in just the last couple years. It is extremely expensive to live here so I imagine you are receiving economic refugees to your low cost area. You'll have to be specific when you say they are turning your corner into a "mess." I do not understand what you mean.
Some counties may have that, but lets not pretend that it's not because it is some posh destination vs the extraordinarily great policies governing the state.

A finer-grained regional analysis reveals that the main current of migration out of California in the past decade has flowed eastward across the Colorado River, reversing the storied passages of the Dust Bowl era. Southern California had about 55 percent of the state’s population in 2000 but accounted for about 65 percent of the net out-migration in the decade that followed. More than 70 percent of the state’s net migration to Texas came from California’s south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:57 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
As I have stated in other threads, I am NOT one of those people. I'm content to not try to change Texas....to make it more like California....or anywhere else .
Exactly. As someone who saw the writing on the wall and fled CA for TX, the folks from CA are not trying to change TX into anything. In fact, most of the people that have come here from CA did so because they agree with TX thinking, policies and politics. So they're not about to change anything. Even in ultra-liberal Austin (which is only ultra-liberal when compared to the rest of TX) the Californians aren't changing anything.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Wrong. Good Alabamans would know that the drag queen is probably packing more then just some male anatomy and that "beat the freak" doesn't fly in shall-issue states. They should come to NY to indulge in that. You can also have serial hold ups of Dunkin Doughnuts and slash people on subways with impunity.
I'm not just talking about physical violence. I'm also talking about policy. NYC has been one of the safest cities in the country for a while now. I did hear that there have been some subway stabbings. I'll be there soon but I have to admit that I would be more afraid of rednecks in Alabama then I am of thugs in NYC. Take that how you will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Some counties may have that, but lets not pretend that it's not because it is some posh destination vs the extraordinarily great policies governing the state.

A finer-grained regional analysis reveals that the main current of migration out of California in the past decade has flowed eastward across the Colorado River, reversing the storied passages of the Dust Bowl era. Southern California had about 55 percent of the state’s population in 2000 but accounted for about 65 percent of the net out-migration in the decade that followed. More than 70 percent of the state’s net migration to Texas came from California’s south.
Population is going up. When you have a population of 39 million then it will seem like a lot if 2% move out. Again, I'd bet that most are leaving due to cost of living. Not b/c they can't walk into Target or a bar with a gun stuffed down their pants. Besides, I'd like to know what specific policies of Brown that are so awful? I'll start - I think getting rid of the redevelopment funding hurt many municipalities ability to build affordable housing.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:56 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"California Wins ‘Worst State to do Business’ for 11th Year"

California Wins "Worst State for Business" for 11th Year

"Business leaders highlight California state and local government officials’ negative attitudes toward business. CEOs blamed the cost of trying to comply with the state’s “capricious” regulatory system, calling it a job killer, especially for “smaller firms that are the least able to bear the costs.”
Can't begin to guess how many times conservatives have pointed to how California ranks in these regards while meanwhile maybe a quick look at which companies have chosen California as their base?

Yes, of course California is not the most "business friendly" like other states where you can manufacture and process and pollute, pay lower taxes, pay lower wages, enjoy a lower cost of living and carry weapons with others a lot more "friendly" about all that. I hear there is even no income tax in Nevada!

Still, look at all the companies who choose California anyway. Why might that be one might ask.

Google it. They can tell you...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-03-2016 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
You don't have the wide perspective you think you have if you think parts of Oakland and parts of Houston qualify as "some of the worst" places on the planet......and I've also been all over the states and plenty of times abroad.
Add St. Louis and Kansas City to that. Some of these cities are 3rd world countries.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I don't necessarily consider myself 'a conservative', but IMO anyone who uses the phrase 'conservatives who rail' isn't searching for sincere dialogue and may be primarily concerned with a personal agenda. Potentially on the other side for your points...What about (when compared to other states) overall spending per pupil compared to the results that are the end product of that spending? What about the percentage of people in poverty compared to other states?...etc.

The degree to which California has come apart morally is a matter of opinion (and I'm not a 'social conservative'...I'm pro choice and 'libertarian' re SSM).
I appreciate the call for tempered rhetoric, since I'm not all that fond of such tactics having more to do with pushing agenda over "sincere dialogue," but on the other hand it isn't as if an awful lot of conservatives are not inclined to "rail" against all things Democrats represent, most certainly including California. Or maybe you are new to this forum?

Also an important measure is the educational bang for the buck and no doubt different states offer different opportunity in this regard. You can get a very good education in California and you can get a pretty bad one also depending on which part of the state you are in, which county, which school district, which high school...

Unfortunately, however, again California is faced with the difficult challenge of educating (at least attempting to educate) lots of people that are at the lower end of the economic ladder, many who can't even claim English to be their first language and/or first language spoken in the home. Texas also has the same challenge for obvious reasons. Lots of states doing better with their education dollar don't have the order of magnitude challenges in these regards like California and Texas.

Much like being a net tax contributor toward the nation's federal tax coffers, however, California is a major supplier of agricultural products, fruits and vegetables, AKA America's "bread basket." Texas too as a matter of fact.

Come drive through the farm areas and see all the Hispanics picking and packing those fruits and vegetables for you and don't forget to complain they are here and something of an educational challenge while you're at it...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-03-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 10:18 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
See, I'm not going to let you get away with that. I said ILLEGAL immigrants. You can pretend that I did not say ILLEGAL immigrants all that you want, as the liberals love to do that, but I will correct you every. single. time.
Good for you!!!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Tolerance, like gun owners? Hypocrites abound in CA don't be fooled.
I have no problem buying or owning a gun in California, even enjoyed shooting a variety of guns up in the Gold Country with a good friend back when I was younger, at targets. I've done the same in Utah where more people seem to be into that sort of thing.

Also did some off-roading in Utah through some beautiful country that also may not be as common or popular in California, though I know where that goes on in California too.

But hey, right, California is not all things to all people...

One of the wonderful things about this country is that you can go wherever the environment suits you best. If you want to surf, California might be a good place for you. If you want to be part of a paramilitary group or enjoy where "gun culture" is more the way of life. Utah is probably your better bet.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No it doesn't. I'm all over the spectrum on different issues, and I agree with him.

Most of the conservatives I know vehemently disagree with the ideology/mindset of many liberals, but don't demonize the people themselves...they just think they are wrong. Quite a few liberals/progressives I know don't just think conservatives are wrong, they think they are essentially the equivalent of 'evil'.

You are confusing closed mindedness with permissiveness. Liberals may be more permissive/'open', but (with some) have an opinion that differs.....
Interesting. Maybe it is just a function of perspective when you are on the receiving end of the criticism and/or "demonizing," because I could take your entire comment and simply replace liberal with conservative and vice versa and feel just as justified to make the same claim in reverse.

Fact is, however, those at the further extremes of emotion and insult when it comes to ideological differences are the minority on both sides I think. Things may get a little "animated" in these forums, but none of it can hardly be taken all that seriously or personal in a forum like this, right?

Personally, I am a Progressive, and I don't think conservatives are essentially "evil." In fact, one of my very best long-time friends is about as conservative as I am liberal. I just think that he and his fellow conservatives, now with Trump as their Republican band leader, are more wrong than right when it comes to most things politics.

Not much point in arguing why though, not seriously anyway...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nt-theory.html

Old 06-03-2016, 10:32 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Jerry "Clueless Clown" Brown wants to blow 59 billion on a bullet train that won't be finished until 2030!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies