Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,968,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I`m sticking with Organic and will continue to eat as much of that as possible, even meat.( I am sure steroids are only meant for athletes !) Unfortunately in the UK, organic food is expensive. My only fear of Britain leaving the EU, is that GM crop firms will get an easier passage into our supermarkets. Do the large fast-food companies use GM? of that I am curious
For a long time, Frito-Lay avoided it like the plague, so a large swath of the Texas Panhandle remained GMO free. Don't know how true that is today. Chipotle claims it tries to source non-GMO. It's problematic because of GM's increasing ubiquity.

The last time this happened, a flood of 40 days and nights of continuous rain was unleashed to cleanse the joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 04:34 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,102,779 times
I am not surprised American fast food companies are lax ( I am not familiar with those ones mentioned). In the Uk all of our GM crop test sights are secret, but that didn`t stop discoveries of Super Weeds growing at the perimeter. There is something we are not told

Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 AM

25,810 posts, read 16,456,078 times
My Dad was old school with his farming practices, not to the point of organic certified but old school. My brothers I think are using Round Up ready corn seed (Round Up kills everything but the corn). But these GMO's are concerning to me.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:39 AM

24,373 posts, read 22,986,934 times
Honeybees and butterflies are dying from GMO produce as well as from herbicides and pesticides from Monsanto. They know its affects humans, too.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,237,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Danger or not, I support as much labeling as possible because I for one like to know what I am eating and drinking.
I totally agree.
As for what made Bill Nye change his tune?........ MONEY!!!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,237,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The science is settled and 97% of scientists agree there is no danger in GMO crops. Deniers.
Deniers is right.....let me guess...the scientists all work for the GMO corporations.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:12 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,102,779 times
Again, in England there is a tendency to label all anti-GM protesters as nutters, ( British slang for loonies) who all wear Aran jumpers, hug trees and dance around Stonehenge at Mid-Summer. I for one am not left side in politics, I don`t agree with on-shore wind-farms, I drive a large car and yes eat red meat, but as a previous poster said you want to know what your eating and drinking. I know you can trust British organic as we have a body called the Soil Association which is thorough, but can I trust organic from abroad ? ( Egyptian runner beans)

Old 06-03-2016, 10:16 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,660,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Want some pesticide that will continue to grow in your body, in your food?

'About half of all GM crops have been genetically engineered to produce their own built-in pesticide. Engineered to contain Bacillus thuringiensis in every cell of the crop, when bugs bite the GM plant, the poison splits open their stomach and kills them. It cannot be washed off the plant. The gene inserted into GM foods transfers into the DNA of bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. This means that long after we stop eating GMOs, we may still have potentially harmful GM proteins produced continuously inside of us. Put more plainly, eating Bt corn might transform our intestinal bacteria into living pesticide factories, possibly for the rest of our lives.

Opposition stalls U.S. Senate bill aimed at blocking GMO food labels

Genetically Modified Foods Get Informed Before the Next Grocery Store Trip

Opposition stalls U.S. Senate bill aimed at blocking GMO food labels | Science | AAAS
There is a lot we need to do to study long term effects and the unintended side effects with GM crops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies