Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:03 AM

572 posts, read 279,995 times

Advertisements

Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:24 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Throughout history. Every government created, has eventually become the enemy of the people.
Western governments were more oprressive 500 years ago than they are now - so I totally disagree. The US government used to support the enslavement of some of its citizens.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:17 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Whatcha gonna believe? The rational facts I presented, or those lying eyes and ears that don't make sense, when looking at the evidence....

The facts are hard to make go away. The facts make it into evidence.
Here is the problem, you THINK ONLY your opinions are factual and all others are not.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 AM

243 posts, read 230,197 times
Name one government, that didn't eventually become the enemy of the people they rule over....

The government of Andorra.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
I always wonder why people give government an exemption from the standards they hold anyone else to. If someone else took your money by force and violently enforced some random rules and regulations on you, even when you hadn't done anything to harm anybody else, would they not be your enemy?

If you say no, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind me doing that to you...

Old 06-04-2016, 09:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Who wouldn't when, freedom & liberties are what this place was founded upon. If I did not kill nor harmed anyone, and never stole from another person, why would I let another human tell me what, when, how, where, what with...... and if I do not consent, get violent with me.
Did you miss the part where it was also founded with a government that was given certain powers of regulation?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Did you miss the part where it was also founded with a government that was given certain powers of regulation?
Did you miss the part where if something is regulated it's not a right?

Old 06-04-2016, 02:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't understand how people can even say this. People on the political right and the left are starting to notice the police state we live in.

But history repeats itself. Just as most Germans didn't think the Nazis would do what they did, most Americans think our government will not end up being a Nazi state...because it's unpleasant.

Psychologists have a term for it, the normalcy bias:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias
The police state is due to the war on drugs and more recently the war on terror. The former needs to be done with and the latter is an actually interesting issues as it pertains to privacy and security in the 21st century.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:15 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The modern governments of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, USA, Canada, Japan, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Australia...
With the exception of the UK, Canada and US pretty much all of them date from after 1946. Sweden for instance current government only dates to 1975 IIRC prior to that it was ruled by the monarch (acting on the advice of a cabinet), Denmark from 1953, now I know the countries existed prior to those dates, but they had different forms of government (Denmark switch from bicameral to unicameral in 1953 for instance).

That's not really a long track record. UK, US, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal have all had periods in their history where the people were oppressed and sometimes eliminated by their governments.

And let's be frank...

Japan...? government formed 1947 after we dropped two atomic bombs on them for being hideously evil further most westerners might be a little shocked at some of the laws in Japan and the powers of government.
Portugal? Military dictatorship 1926-1976
Brazil? Military dictatorship until 1985
Chile? Ever hear of Augusto Pinochet, it's in living memory.
Argentina? Right Wing military Junta in the 80's? Look up Jorge Rafael Videla, he was in office 1976-1981, he was guilty of pretty much everything a good dictator can be guilty of.

So, you've provided some really bad examples.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Did you miss the part where if something is regulated it's not a right?
Based on what? Did the courts, the powers vested by the founders, decide that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies