Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
bathroom:

ACLU leader quits after daughters encounter men in the women’s restroom | Power Line

"I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults, over six feet [tall] with deep voices, entered. My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer."

The original article is here:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/st...gend#pq=VvitsT

Apparently not all on the left are totally on board with the latest battlefront in the LGBT culture war.
MANY on the left are not in agreement with this change...including me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
"In a statement, she said that the ACLU has become “a special interest organization that promotes not all, but certain progressive rights.”

Interesting comment.
There's probably some truth to that. Just like there are organizations on the right that promote right side extremes.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It does not matter how YOU feel about it. You do not own other people's bodies or minds. Tend to your own affairs. Let them do what they want.

Yeah, there is no slippery slope anymore we've already hit bottom.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:39 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Transgendered people are not the latest thing, they have been around for decades if not longer and we never had a problem but now laws are being made and as we all know laws have loop holes to be exploited.
Not to mention there have been very successful transgender protection laws around in Iowa and Minnesota for years. These were functionally equivalent to existing anti-discrimination laws (e.g. don't fire someone because they are transgender, don't refuse to rent to someone because they are transgender).

Suddenly we are getting new models for these types of laws when successful models already exist.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:46 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I feel. If you're born a woman, you're a woman, no its, ands or buts about it. If you're born a man, you're a man. Period. I find trying to change one's gender quite deviant.
This. The conservatives are going about this argument all wrong, which they do more often than not. They are arguing whether or not trans people should be allowed in restrooms of their choice. By maintaining this argument they are starting in a losing position, they've agreed with the liberals premise; that there is such a thing as transgender. There isn't and this should be their starting point. Make the liberals prove, scientifically, that there is such a thing as transgender. Liberals love to throw science around when trying to disprove religion, prove evolution, etc.

Make them do it in this case.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:56 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yeah, there is no slippery slope anymore we've already hit bottom.

Au contraire; our fall is not yet complete.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
MANY on the left are not in agreement with this change...including me.

There must be something wrong with you, then. Perhaps you need to be re-educated, at some kind of camp......

Old 06-02-2016, 12:38 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
There isn't and this should be their starting point. Make the liberals prove, scientifically, that there is such a thing as transgender. Liberals love to throw science around when trying to disprove religion, prove evolution, etc.
There is pretty good science that there are transgender people. The argument could be more tightly framed around _who_ is transgender (especially versus "gender non-conforming" which is different but being lumped together with the new way of laws).
And after that, a serious discussion of what protections are actually necessary for those who are actually transgender.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
The courageous Atlanta Journal-Constitution runs the news:
Georgia ACLU director resigns over transgender fight | Political Insider blog

Don't hold your breath to find out if the cowardly NYT or WaPO does likewise.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:56 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
On the bright side the ACLU leader finally admitted what we always knew: they only care about progressive liberal agenda driven rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies