Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 05:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Student unfurls Confederate flag in class, declares 'White Privilege Day' - The American MirrorThe American Mirror

Really? Someone called the cops? Counselors were offered? And just what were these shrinks going to tell the snowflakes? "There there...the evil confederates wont hurt you any more... try to put your precious life back togather after this horrific injustice. Do you need to be on suicide watch?"

Being intolerant of others views, especially views you may disagree with is not being "respectfull and tolerant"

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.............

hahahahahahahahahahaha......

hahahahahahahaha.......

hahahahaha......

haha....

ha!!!!

That is fricken hilarious!!! If that kid has a go fund me page, I will give, just on the fact that made me laugh harder than I have in some time.

Good for him, to be captain obvious to all.

So much for the tolerance and respect they preach..... Only if it is one of the deemed "protected classes" they have created.
No one has the right, not to be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 06:17 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
oh but yes it does, you are the one talking about music, white boy country if the south would of won,
that itself had no topic but i give it to you anyway
I brought that song up because it directly relates to this topic. Obviously, Hank Williams Jr wanted the South to win the war. That shows he hasn't moved on. Music with anti-police lyrics is not related to this topic.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
And that isn't all. When Old Miss tried integration, the bigots came out in full force with Confederate flags. The first era of the KKK referred to themselves as "ghosts of the Confederacy ".

Old 06-05-2016, 06:37 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Is it common for people to fly flags to defunct countries for no reason? If the flag has no meaning, then there is no point to flying it.
If my ancestors were Southern, I'd want to fly the flag since it would have meaning for me. But mine aren't, so I have no reason to. Nevertheless, I have only sympathy for Southerners who display their flag.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:42 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
If my ancestors were Southern, I'd want to fly the flag since it would have meaning for me. But mine aren't, so I have no reason to. Nevertheless, I have only sympathy for Southerners who display their flag.
The South isn't a country, the flag belongs in museums to remind people of the time the South lost a war and that is about it.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
My ancestors were basically Southerners. No one in my family has respect for that flag. I have no sympathy for anyone who supports that cause. My interests come first.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
The South isn't a country, the flag belongs in museums to remind people of the time the South lost a war and that is about it.
I speak the same sentiments as you. It should only be in museums. That cause should be looked at as a mistake.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
The South isn't a country [...]
It doesn't really matter. Being a distinct people is not the same as having a sovereign country of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My ancestors were basically Southerners. No one in my family has respect for that flag. I have no sympathy for anyone who supports that cause. My interests come first.
What do you mean when you say "my interests come first"? The same thought process probably underlies the Southern motivation to fly the flag in the first place - that is, it is ancestrally meaningful. If some don't like it - and maybe justifiably so for some - well, "my interests come first" is as sound an argument coming from a Southern perspective as it is coming from anyone else.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
It doesn't really matter. Being a distinct people is not the same as having a sovereign country of your own.

What do you mean when you say "my interests come first"? The same thought process probably underlies the Southern motivation to fly the flag in the first place - that is, it is ancestrally meaningful. If some don't like it - and maybe justifiably so for some - well, "my interests come first" is as sound an argument coming from a Southern perspective as it is coming from anyone else.
Fine. I will explain. My ancestors (the ones who were in this country 200 years ago) were basically Southerners by birth place. However, which Southerners. Black Southerners are not the ones flying that or championing the "southern cause". Being Black, and knowing what the "southern cause" was about, it goes against my interest. It isn't neutral to my interests. It is flat out against my interests. That is what I mean.

Last edited by green_mariner; 06-05-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
So what? We aren't talking about other nations and races. This is about THIS country.
Sez you. If I want to point out that slavery was practiced in the North and that it was practiced by all races and ethnicities throughout the world for thousands of years, I will point that out.

Quote:
How many other places wanted to secede from another country as a last ditch effort to keep and maintain slavery?
So you're suggesting that the great sin was not the fact that all races and ethnicities throughout the world practiced slavery for thousands of years, it was rather that people wanted to secede in order to continue practicing it.

In other words, we can ignore 99.99999999% of the human crime of slavery, but should be obsessed with the remaining 0.00000000001% of it.

That's not a very strong argument to make.

Quote:
No more so than many Southerners I've met. And you mention "the White man founded civilization". I am going to go on your own logic to show how ridiculous you sound when you mention how much claim northerners are uncivilized and evil. The South was an agrarian society. However, most of the agricultural patents that went into agriculture were by northerners. The cotton gin is a good example.
Blacks went north only to be greeted with racism, segregation and ghettoization. Eventually they were put on welfare and entered into a cycle of dependency, crime and hopelessness that has not changed even with affirmative action policies. The North to me represents industrialization, exploitation, and the destruction of community -- both white and black. The North is all about money, money, money. The South was never just about that.

Quote:
If northerners are the reason society is garbage, explain why the South has traditionally had the highest murder rate in the USA, going all the way back to the days BEFORE the Civil War.
The South was largely settled by Scots who had spent centuries fighting brutal wars against the English and, before that, the Romans. There were also English aristocrats who settled in Virginia. The South was a hard-scrabble way of life for most white people. And yes, it was poor. So what? They weren't living on welfare and burning down their own neighborhoods.

Quote:
I'm glad the South lost the war. Being the descendant of slaves, the war's outcome was for the best. The desperation to keep slavery was a major reason the Confederate states wanted secession from the USA. This is in the Articles of Secession.

The Reasons for Secession

Knowing this, why should I express any regret for the South losing?
You shouldn't. But let's face it. Lincoln did not fight the war to end slavery. He fought it to prevent the South from trading independently with other countries. It was all about money and control by northerners. And those greedy northerners came down south as carpetbaggers, raping, pillaging and murdering. In the meantime, we're just supposed to forget the hundreds of thousands of young southern men who died in the war -- even if we are descended from them. All because they fought to do what the northern colonists had done against the English. Demand their independence. It's really hilarious to listen to northerners celebrating the American flag when it, also, was a flag of slavery from the very beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
If the nation was truly over the war, they wouldn't care if the flag was being flown, the problem not the flag and never was, it those like the klan that made it bad, so why not attack the klan and leave the flag alone, attack those that actually doing the damages.
Exactly.

And the Klan hardly exists anymore except in the fevered imaginations of white liberals.

Quote:
Me, too.

I'm descended from John Stark, a revolutionary war general. If I can take pride in that, I see no reason why southerners can't take pride in their ancestors who fought in a war. Losing a war doesn't change that. On the other hand, if your ancestor was a cruel slave master, and nothing more, that might be something you would not take pride in. There were, by the way, plenty of northerners who profited from slavery in the South. Let's not kid ourselves about that!

Quote:
In a free country, the flag belongs wherever people want to fly it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies