Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If your ideas about the symbolism of Confederate flag aren't based on the issue of slavery and the civil war....then what's it based on?

The Confederate battle flag represented the Confederate side of the war. It's colors are represented as follows:

White - Peace and Honesty
Red - Hardiness, bravery, strength & valor
Blue - Vigilance, Truth and Loyalty, Perseverance & Justice

It was meant to show Southern sovereignty and that the seceding states wanted to be free from the Government's rule and thumb. Nothing more, nothing less. It IS representative of the Civil War, but is not representative of racism. It was merely given that light by those who didn't like the South. A flag only has the power one gives it.

By the way..... the KKK uses the American Flag and a flag from the Protestant church as their flags. Doesn't hurt to read up on that as well....... NOT the Confederate flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 02:51 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The Confederate battle flag represented the Confederate side of the war. It's colors are represented as follows:

White - Peace and Honesty
Red - Hardiness, bravery, strength & valor
Blue - Vigilance, Truth and Loyalty, Perseverance & Justice

It was meant to show Southern sovereignty and that the seceding states wanted to be free from the Government's rule and thumb. Nothing more, nothing less. It IS representative of the Civil War, but is not representative of racism. It was merely given that light by those who didn't like the South. A flag only has the power one gives it.

By the way..... the KKK uses the American Flag and a flag from the Protestant church as their flags. Doesn't hurt to read up on that as well....... NOT the Confederate flag.
When you're in denial or whatever you want to call it, you'll try to convince yourself of anything.

http://fayettevillefreezone.com/wp-c...Birmingham.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SFv3s_hUej...1600/con30.jpg

J.B. Stone, a segregationist who was quite bigoted towards blacks, to say the least. Not an American flag in his hand. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...cda7c6e840.jpg

Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Or when you were raised to understand exactly what it stood for and what it means.. not what some hate group tried to rebrand it as.... either way.

See how easy it is to ignore the meaning of something if it doesn't fit an agenda?

Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Or when you were raised to understand exactly what it stood for and what it means.. not what some hate group tried to rebrand it as.... either way.

See how easy it is to ignore the meaning of something if it doesn't fit an agenda?
Yeah, I suppose William T. Thompson (Whiteman's Flag) didn't come up in those wholesome conversations you had growing up.

Ah, to be so willfully ignorant.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:56 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Nothing if the reason that the South wanted to secede in order to keep slavery. But it wasn't. This is rhetoric that originally spewed from folks who wanted to paint a ghastly picture of a section of the country for political gain. It was nothing more, nor less. But it tugged at heart strings so strongly that it quickly became accepted as truth. We see this in similar form today in politics when politicians set out on a campaign to drive someone else into the dirt for their benefit. Slavery was common everywhere then.... That doesn't make it right by any stretch, but it shouldn't be used as the reason why the South wanted to secede. They wanted to maintain a way of life and protect their family without Government interference.
The South definitely wanted to keep slavery. It is listed in the Articles of Secession. I have posted links on other posts. You calling it "rhetoric spewed" does not refute that.

Quote:
What do you mean, "so what?" The war was started over money. Plain and simple. The government wanted control over the entire country. Divide and conquer. While I wont argue that Southerners needed to understand that slavery in any form is wrong, they were simply going with what they were raised to believe to be correct. Working with them to educate folks on freedom would have eventually succeeded if done correctly. Probably with a lot less dire consequences than the route chosen. But hindsight in all instances is 20/20. We learn from it and we grow as a country.
Yes, I said "so what?". The North was better for my grandparents than the South was. They had more opportunities and better treatment. Yes, they experienced racism up there. They had it much worse in the South. That is why they are so many other Blacks left.

I don't think educating slave owners about the evils of slavery would have worked. They were determined to keep it. They were about money themselves. That is why they were willing to secede. Yes, there were other factors, but the desire to keep slavery was a major factor. It was about money, and a way of life. Alexander Stephens gave his famous Cornerstone Speech. He said that slavery was the natural state of a Black man.

Sharecropping, what my grandparents did, was about money and being exploited. It was about farmers exploiting the workers. Sharecroppers got put into alot of debt the way the system worked. At least in Northern factories in the 20th century, what you did with your money was up to you.

So..... where are those cities now? Baltimore, LA, etc..... and who started them? It wasn't us Southern folk.

I did not mention Baltimore or L.A. I mentioned Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Jacksonville, New Orleans. Of those cities, only Jacksonville and Atlanta are doing better. Birmingham is basically a more violent version of a rust belt city. Memphis and New Orleans are some of the most violent cities in the USA. New Orleans has been declared "murder capital" several times.

Quote:
Wrong again. Do your research on history and learn WHY the South wanted to secede. Lincoln ran for office on the premise that Southerners were all slave drivers. It was a political move... nothing more. Crops in the South were being exploited by the Government through taxation on amongst other avenues. The Federal Government was financially supporting many of the Union states and had control over those because of the money it was providing. They bought these states' votes and used slavery as the vehicle to run on. The South simply made the declaration that they did not want this support because it forced control over to the Government. You can read some of this if you look up "The Declaration of Causes" that some Southern states submitted to the Government. In this, they go as far as to agree that slavery was going to eventually be abolished from ALL states... to INCLUDE the Southern states.
I did my research.

Read:
Quote:
Mississippi

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth… These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

Texas

The servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations.

South Carolina

Those [Union] States have assumed the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States.

Georgia

That reason was [the North's] fixed purpose to limit, restrain, and finally abolish slavery in the States where it exists. The South with great unanimity declared her purpose to resist the principle of prohibition to the last extremity.
and
Quote:
Mississippi

We must either submit to degradation, and to the loss of property worth four billions of money, or we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property.

Georgia

But they know the value of parchment rights in treacherous hands, and therefore they refuse to commit their own to the rulers whom the North offers us. Why? Because by their declared principles and policy they have outlawed $3,000,000,000 of our property in the common territories of the Union; put it under the ban of the Republic in the States where it exists and out of the protection of Federal law everywhere

Quote:
The North nor the South won anything. The government won and because of the way it was spun, it more severely divided the country than any other time in history. And it was all political.
The North came out of this in better shape than the South. Anyway, what does that have to do with what I mentioned regarding northerners going to the South and doing things such as setting up schools to educate Blacks? What does that have to do with northerners trying to help get Blacks out of a backwards culture that did a severe disservice to them? Go read Thomas Sowell's "Black Rednecks and White Liberals".

Quote:
Again I urge you to do your research on this.
I've done my research. It wasn't Minnesota, Massachusetts, or New York seceding as a desperate attempt to keep slavery. It was South Carolina, Mississippi, and other southern states doing this.

Quote:
This just goes to show that you are lacking greatly in an education as to the fallacies of the Government and what their true intent was. A nation divided is going to struggle. Who better to step in and "save us" than the very entity that divided us? A unified people could overthrow the Government. But divided they could not.
Actually, no it does not. It shows that I understand what is in my best interests. What it shows is that I have a sense of history of what was done to my ancestors in the South. I understand that my ancestors were enslaved, followed by subjugation via Jim Crow. This is not about "fallacies about the government". This is about how the South really was between 1800-1970. The reality is, the South during those times was a horrible place for a Black man to be. The reality is, the South lagged behind in so many ways in those times. There is nothing idyllic about the Old South.

Quote:
This person who brought out the flag was wrong for doing so. Anything that we do in which a wedge can be driven between our races is only strengthening the Government's position to keep us separated. The sad thing is that too many of us choose to be blind to this. Every time someone brings up race in any form or fashion we just become a weaker society.
The person who did this knew what he was doing. That is why he did it. He was an angry person looking for trouble. Government has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:58 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, I suppose William T. Thompson (Whiteman's Flag) didn't come up in those wholesome conversations you had growing up.

Ah, to be so willfully ignorant.
I've posted about William Tappan Thompson a few days ago. Some people have chosen to ignore it. I don't think it's willful ignorance. When a person is given information to banish their ignorance, and said person still refuses to acknowledge it, then that is just willful stupidity.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What kind of student does this? And in the Milwaukee area of all place.

One that refuses to be led down the road of being a "victim of ones own identity", they are preaching in school these day, with help from our own president of the USA.

He took pride in his whitness, just as the Blacks and Redskins have been able to encouraged to do.

When are Blacks going to set up the NAAWP? and promote white greatness and fight white discrimination.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:14 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,619,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One that refuses to be led down the road of being a "victim of ones own identity", they are preaching in school these day, with help from our own president of the USA.

He took pride in his whitness, just as the Blacks and Redskins have been able to encouraged to do.

When are Blacks going to set up the NAAWP? and promote white greatness and fight white discrimination.
Lets put this a different way:

The police were dispatched and counselors were offered after a Wisconsin high schooler unfurled a Mexican flag in class and announced it was “Latino Privilege Day.”

Do you think it would have even been reported?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,547 times
Yeah. White people never play the victim.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He took pride in his whiteness, just as the Blacks and Redskins have been able to encouraged to do.
If whites take pride in being white, they are considered racist.

If non-whites take pride in being non-white, that's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Lets put this a different way:

The police were dispatched and counselors were offered after a Wisconsin high schooler unfurled a Mexican flag in class and announced it was “Latino Privilege Day.”

Do you think it would have even been reported?
Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Yeah. White people never play the victim.
If they do, maybe it's because non-whites do it all the time.

And discrimination against whites is perfectly legal -- but not discrimination against non-whites.

It's called "affirmative action" -- racial preferences that discriminate against whites in favor of non-whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies