Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
When the parents won't listen, sometimes their is no other way.

I would be against them (handing out religious text at a school) if the child was providing verses from the Qur'an, the Tripitaka, the Bhagavad-Gita, Alkitab Alaqdas, the Guru Granth Sahib, Tao-te-Ching or even the Torah, Talmud and Tanach, not only verses of christianity.

Would you be ok with kids handing verses and scriptures from other faiths?

There are many folks in this country that say, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are not Christians, so their words, are not christian, and they would not want their kids to be provided with verses and scriptures from them.
But there is a difference between what we may or may not like and calling the police. BTW, it would not bother many of us if kids of another faith other than Christianity provided information on their religion as long as the kids receiving the info wanted it. BTW, I don't think you know a lot about some religions, since when has anyone said Roman Catholics are not Christians. The other examples you give, yes, some do feel this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 12:04 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What about the little 10 year old boy a few years ago that would not say the pledge in class because of the phrase, with liberty and justice for all. He claims his mom had 2 lesbian friends and they did have liberty; was he right? I bet you think he was. At least no one called the police on him but he was eventually sent home because he would even stand up when the class was reciting it. How many 5th graders really understand about homosexuality unless their parents had put the idea in their minds?
I am bothered when adults proselytize children, Nita. It's creepy. It's even creepier to use your own child to do it and pretend like the kids were asking for it.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not surprised. There's a reason we left CA.
That's what my plans are and I have been working to get for a few years now.

Like one poster said: "it;s hard to believe this isn't satire, unless you live here"

I do live here, and it is a reality. This state is jumping into the wacky deep end of the psycho pool.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which does not state what you claim.
Sure it does.
1) They handed out pamphlets on school grounds from April 19th to May 9th:

"Following the phone call, on April 19, 2016.... Christina and C began to stand near the school gate
briefly after school, per his teacher’s direction, to share the Bible verses and story with C’s
friends, who would congregate there after the school bell rang. By this time, as many as
fifteen children were requesting a copy of the Bible verse from C, and excitedly looked forward
to a new one every day. This continued, until May 9, 2016, "

2) The policeman never mentions the sidewalk:
"around 4:30 PM that afternoon, a Los Angeles Deputy Sheriff knocked at the door of C’s
family residence. He stated that the school had called him to report that C and his parents
had been sharing papers at school; and that this was not permitted because “someone might
be offended."

From their lawyer's letter to the school:
https://www.lc.org/PDFs/Attachments2...almdale-CA.pdf

Old 06-04-2016, 12:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That newspaper article is not the original source. The original source is this formal complaint from their lawyer:

https://www.lc.org/PDFs/Attachments2...almdale-CA.pdf
The letter from their lawyer clearly says that they moved to the public sidewalk as requested and then the school called the police on them. Also, the school can't ban the child from discussing God at school, and the letter also says that the teacher told the boy that he could no longer even read the note to the other children at lunch. She is not allowed to tell the child that he cannot discuss religion at lunch.

The school was completely in the wrong here. Even if you disagree with Christianity, you should not support the school calling the police on this child.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Sure it does.
It doesn't.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:11 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I am bothered when adults proselytize children, Nita. It's creepy. It's even creepier to use your own child to do it and pretend like the kids were asking for it.
The adults weren't involved until the school forced the child to the outside of the school. Obviously they couldn't let a 7 year old stand on a public sidewalk with no adult supervision.
The teacher told the child that he couldn't even read the notes his mom put in his lunch to his friends. The school was completely in the wrong. Had they left the situation alone, it most likely would have fizzled out on its own.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
so do I understand you correctly? It was ok for the 5th grader to disrespect the teacher by not saying the pledge or even standing but it was wrong for a 7 year old to pass out bible versus to kids who asked for them?

Do I think the parents in either case was right? No and I am a very strong practicing Christian, but I also think the is such overkill it isn't funny; it is sad!!! I also think parents with difference religious views can handle the questions their kids might ask about a bible verse or whatever. No harm was really done.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:21 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
so do I understand you correctly? It was ok for the 5th grader to disrespect the teacher by not saying the pledge or even standing but it was wrong for a 7 year old to pass out bible versus to kids who asked for them?

Do I think the parents in either case was right? No and I am a very strong practicing Christian, but I also think the is such overkill it isn't funny; it is sad!!! I also think parents with difference religious views can handle the questions their kids might ask about a bible verse or whatever. No harm was really done.
I pretty much agree with you on all points, Nita. I'm not familiar with the case you're referring to with the pledge, but it sounds like some parents were using their child to make a political statement at school. I think that's distasteful. I also don't mind if kids share religious views. When my daughter was eight, she had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness who used to tell her about her God. We're Catholics, and I don't agree with the JV teachings at all. But we didn't make a big deal out of it. I would have made a big deal out of it, however, if the child's parents were distributing the Watchtower to my daughter and pretending it was their daughter who was doing it. I don't think it's a matter that requires the cops, but I would have put a stop to that. Adults shouldn't proselytize children.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:25 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
What about the little 10 year old boy a few years ago that would not say the pledge in class because of the phrase, with liberty and justice for all. He claims his mom had 2 lesbian friends and they did have liberty; was he right? I bet you think he was. At least no one called the police on him but he was eventually sent home because he would even stand up when the class was reciting it. How many 5th graders really understand about homosexuality unless their parents had put the idea in their minds?
What does one have to do with the other? I also didn't say the pledge as a kid because of the "under G-d" part. I might have believed in G-d, but the second that I learned that it was not a part of the initial pledge, I stopped saying it on principle. My parents had no idea. Why would anyone call the police (note: I think it's ridiculous that the police were called in this case as well)? It is perfectly acceptable to not say the pledge and even to sit through it politely. It's not like he was telling other people they should sit down, too.

And what 5th grader doesn't know about homosexuality? 5th graders are old enough to know when mom and dad's friends (or even their parents themselves) are gay and, at the time, could not get married. They're also old enough to know that's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies