Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you need to explain to your sons they should not have sex with unconscious people, you've got a problem or they've got a problem or both...
Oh, come on! Maybe someone should have told little Brockie the above. There seem to be a lot of people on this forum who think it's OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, come on! Maybe someone should have told little Brockie the above. There seem to be a lot of people on this forum who think it's OK.
Yes, sure, and a lot of people in this forum have more issues than Playboy magazine, but I've never needed to tell my son not to have sex with unconsious people, would never even occur to me any more than to advise him not to have sex with animals, even if they're conscious, though I hear there are people who might do that too...

PS: When it comes to people like "little Brockie," I'm not sure a little talk about what birds and bees do (or should not do) is going to make much difference.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
You don't know me, LearnMe, but I'm about as grounded as they come. I don't have any deep-seated issues nor do I see them in my sons. But this story is a teaching moment where my husband, kids, and I took some time to explore the controversy. We used posts from this very thread to demonstrate where people go astray justifying criminal sexual behavior and had some truly rousing dinner time conversations about all this, which is a good thing. I wish more people would take the time to talk to their family members about alcohol use on campus among the under age, the symptoms of alcohol poisoning (the victim was in the throes of it), how to help someone incapacitated by alcohol, and the moral and potentially criminal implications of sexual activity while under the influence.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You don't know me, LearnMe, but I'm about as grounded as they come. I don't have any deep-seated issues nor do I see them in my sons. But this story is a teaching moment where my husband, kids, and I took some time to explore the controversy. We used posts from this very thread to demonstrate where people go astray justifying criminal sexual behavior and had some truly rousing dinner time conversations about all this, which is a good thing. I wish more people would take the time to talk to their family members about alcohol use on campus among the under age, the symptoms of alcohol poisoning (the victim was in the throes of it), how to help someone incapacitated by alcohol, and the moral and potentially criminal implications of sexual activity while under the influence.
Say listen..., of course we don't know each other and no doubt you're taking me a little too seriously although I have to admit your comment about telling your sons not to have sex with unconscious people struck me as a little odd. How old are your sons I wonder...

The father of two kids who I am proud to say are healthy good people now independent and out of the house, I often say, "parenting, the final frontier," because I have nothing but respect for the job. Good that any parent take the job seriously though we all may approach the job in different ways. You are also right to emphasize the dangers of alcohol, though I'm not sure my kids would be around if not for a little too much to drink...

Kidding! Just kidding!

And a good night to you as I sign off I think...

What's tonight's dinner topic to be? No sex with a woman who says you're hurting her?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
1. Nineteen-year-old son, who just finished his first year of college
2. Seventeen-year-old daughter, who is currently visiting colleges in preparation for her last year of high school
3. Fourteen-year-old son, who is entering high school in the fall

Tonight's dinner time conversation will probably be about the shooting in Florida, which has touched our entire family deeply, as we have a gay relative living in Orlando right now. Also, Donald Trump's latest ridiculousness. Always a good conversation starter at our dinner table, although not much source of controversy. We all think he's twenty pounds of crazy in a five-pound bag.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I think this issue provides a wonderful "teachable moment". Someone should have talked to Brock about these issues.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
I think this issue provides a wonderful "teachable moment". Someone should have talked to Brock about these issues.

There is something very wrong with any man/boy who thinks it's ok to have sex with someone who is unconscious. This is common sense. Something Brock is lacking.

I'm glad he's been banned from swimming professionally and expelled from college. At least the swimming organization and the school realize who the victim is here.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
My only real comment of this talking to him actually points to his nurtured "Moral Fibre" that gets established a a youngster..Right from Wrong expand as they grow older. Often, unfortunately many young men often observe how their mother gets treated by their father or significant other..and mother doesn't complain..so ASSumes it's normal behaviour.

We are now 2016.. NOT 1950-1990's.. when the attitude towards rape or any other physical force on a women (unwanted) got blamed on 2 things...1) the Girl asked for it 2) Boys will be boys~

Then of course IF and when anyone complained..IT was sour grapes/post coital regret. Times have changed..with so many high profile cases..and it's become so abundantly clear..Hey..Forceable physical contact of any kind (UNWANTED) is Assault on any level..Young men need to learn that from an early age and nurtured throughout their adolescents in into adulthood. Women back then had NO voice nor credibility..NOW..Far different story!!

I worked on "Rape Team" for a few years, collected forensics and dealt with horrible cases of young women being molested/raped..held captive and after rescue were threatened ( Yes so was Staff Caring for them) thus often victims given "Alternate name" and security +++ Gang Rape also is a huge problem!

Anyway , I have to say..Thankfully women who claim on "College Campus" or enter hospital or complain to Police..THEY all should be considered credible and STOP dismissing it !! Have experts deal with it..Let them figure it all out.. ALSO must mention..PLEASE..IF possible..do not take showers prior to having forensic testing..but then again..some rape victims refused to acknowledge it initially..or made excuses or blamed themselves or worse COULDN'T REMEMBER !

Having said all that..I'm sure there are some ( very few) who claim rape unfounded..but the percentage is so slight compared to the 80-90% who suffered and had to live with it for the rest of their lives..Pregancy due to rape..what to do? Man..I could go on..but won't. This subject is rather personal for me

Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Inside her body? The only way they'd end up there is if they hitched a ride on the foreign object that penetrated her as she was unconscious and incapable of consent.
Apparently, to some posters here, her DNA on his finger isn't enough proof and pine needles can crawl.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Apparently, to some posters here, her DNA on his finger isn't enough proof and pine needles can crawl.
I have to assume you have no background on THIS case..This perp was WITNESSED..dragged away off of her..SHE was unconscious..she wouldn't recall everything..AS to DNA transfer..Better take a Forensic Course because what you suggest isn't likely much less plausible in a case when victim unconscious being assaulted/raped by perp is caught RED HANDED!!

Don't you even understand why the PERP popped a PLEA????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies