Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM

15,836 posts, read 21,367,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Where do you get the idea rape is not considered a serious crime in the US?
97% of rapists are never convicted and of the 3% who are, they serve an average of just 65 months in jail. Those convicted of sexual assault serve just 35 months in jail. More than half of women never report the crime because of the exceptionally low rate of conviction, and the repeated trauma involved with the defense digging into their personal life to make a case.

My interactions with the police after my own rape are anecdotal, but fit into a greater trend that short of being pulled off the street by a random rapist, rape is not considered a serious crime. Forget it if you know your attacker or were drinking or otherwise inebriated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,156,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

Why would I have heard about them?

Did CNN, etc., talk about them for days on end?
There were multiple threads about it on C-D. The woman recanted her story and he spent 5 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit, but that was buried, because he wasn't, as you say, a "rich, white, heterosexual male."

Quote:
Thanks for making me laugh.
Not sure why you find that funny, however, it's obvious you need to expand your vocabulary, add "logic" to the list of words that include "evidence", "guilty" and "deflection".

Quote:
There is no evidence of that.

She might well have been conscious and consented when the sex play began.

Innocent people have been found guilty, as I'm sure you are aware.

That doesn't look good for him -- but it doesn't disprove the possibility that she was conscious and consented when the sex play began.

Plus, there was no sexual intercourse -- hence, no rape -- and both of them were drunk.
Even if she had consented, ONCE SHE BECAME UNCONSCIOUS, THERE IS NO MORE CONSENT.

At this point, you're just being obtuse.

Quote:
Wrong.

I've explained it over and over again.

I can't help it if you can't process the truth.

You might consider working on that problem.

Evidence doesn't find people guilty, juries do.
No, you're wrong. You just don't want to believe a rich, white boy can commit a felony, which is pretty disturbing. That's all there is to it.

Quote:
And there was no evidence that he raped her (there was no sexual intercourse), there is no evidence that she didn't consent, and there is no evidence that she wasn't conscious when the sex play began.

There is also no evidence that he was aware that she had passed out.

He might not have been aware that she was unconscious.
The two witnesses could tell she was unconscious. All you're doing is deflecting, speculating and assuming. None of this is based on any fact or substance, nor is it grounded in reality or logic. If it was, you would've been a witness, instead you're defending a criminal, because he's one of yours.

Quote:
As for this constant asking of one's partner if it is okay to continue to have sex, I suspect that a lot of college guys are going to throw up their hands and try out the gay lifestyle.
I really wish I could comment on this, but TOS won't let me.

Quote:
People here don't want to talk about real crime.

They just want to go after a rich, white, heterosexual male jock who goes to an elite university.

He PERFECTLY fits the profile of what liberals, leftists, and feminists HATE and are out to get -- right down to his blond hair and blue eyes.

^ That's really all I'm reading.

Oh, the real crime huh? Well, how about you and Brock file a police report, since there was a crime committed.

But look who's making it about race and about political affiliation. Everyone is out to get the white man. There's clearly something mentally wrong with that mindset.

Everyone, the next time a conservative complains about someone pulling the race card and/or bringing politics into everything, look at this post.

We're done here. Go start a GoFundMe or Facebook page for your boy.

Last edited by ATG5; 06-17-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,551,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
97% of rapists are never convicted and of the 3% who are, they serve an average of just 65 months in jail. Those convicted of sexual assault serve just 35 months in jail. More than half of women never report the crime because of the exceptionally low rate of conviction, and the repeated trauma involved with the defense digging into their personal life to make a case.

My interactions with the police after my own rape are anecdotal, but fit into a greater trend that short of being pulled off the street by a random rapist, rape is not considered a serious crime. Forget it if you know your attacker or were drinking or otherwise inebriated.
Unfortunately some of the posters on here who deny anything bad happened are the reason many rapes go unreported. One poster in particular is so enamored with the rapist that he repeatedly exposes his misogynistic views in his description of the actual victim while praising the looks of the actual rapist. He only blames her for getting drunk and won't accept the verdict, even if the actual rapist got off easy.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,156,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Unfortunately some of the posters on here who deny anything bad happened are the reason many rapes go unreported. One poster in particular is so enamored with the rapist that he repeatedly exposes his misogynistic views in his description of the actual victim while praising the looks of the actual rapist. He only blames her for getting drunk and won't accept the verdict, even if the actual rapist got off easy.
Budlight, I think we've disagreed in the past with other topics, but I definitely respect ya.

You hit the nail on the head, here...it's apparently a couple posters here have a John Hinckley-like obsession with Brock, along with a disdain of women, probably because they've been rejected by women their entire lives.

Their attitude + the way his family has handled this is exactly the reason why a) some men feel invincible and entitled to a woman's body and b) many sexual assaults, especially on college campuses, go unreported. There is as much of a backlash for the woman's "involvement" as the man's.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:42 AM

29,422 posts, read 9,611,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
True, and also interesting are the folks who continue to engage with people who obviously deserve little more than to be ignored...

Also occurs to me, all these cases of rape, reported or not, how it is that men can be so f**ked up, but of course we all know men can be f**ked up in many ways, but is it really so hard for women to tell what sort of man they are dealing with? You would think there would be a way to better screen against such a posibility by taking some time, staying where there are other people, getting some background...

Or I suppose women just like men may "throw caution to the wind" for the sake of a quickie one-night stand sort of deal. Not that I'm innocent, and I'm glad for the women and their company I have enjoyed who didn't know me too well, but if I were a woman..., I sure think I'd be inclined to take my time getting there.

Double standard? I suppose one could make that argument, just like it is obvious this is more a case of concern for a woman's safety than that of a man. Sad either way, when all too often I almost feel ashamed to be a man when I think what dogs some men truly can be.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,551,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Budlight, I think we've disagreed in the past with other topics, but I definitely respect ya.

You hit the nail on the head, here...it's apparently a couple posters here have a John Hinckley-like obsession with Brock, along with a disdain of women, probably because they've been rejected by women their entire lives.

Their attitude + the way his family has handled this is exactly the reason why a) some men feel invincible and entitled to a woman's body and b) many sexual assaults, especially on college campuses, go unreported. There is as much of a backlash for the woman's "involvement" as the man's.
Agreed. Respect to you as well. We can agree to disagree on some topics but this is a topic we are both on the same page.

I was taught at an early age to respect women/girls and not take advantage of one's in distress but come to their aide.

Brock saw an easy opportunity to take advantage. Probably learned from his father. I am guessing this is the ONLY way he ever got past first base.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Quote:

I'm aware of the statistics and I find them deplorable. I'm not sure that means we don't treat rape as a serious crime, although reading some of these posts, maybe we don't. There are numerous posters who don't even think this was rape, plus those who are making all kinds of excuses for rapists, like "it's not cool for guys to help someone in trouble".

On to this particular case, this guy had a history of coming on to women; his fraternity brothers should have been watching out a little more.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:27 AM

29,691 posts, read 34,235,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The only people who believe this are the ones who actively practice forcing themselves on passed out women.
An essay I read last week (which I can't find again) did give the argument that in the case of the Brock defenders, they may have acted like he did in the past and are trying to justify their own actions. That if what he did isn't rape or sexual assault, then what they've done (like plying women with drink so that they're "easier") isn't rape, either. It's just all in good fun, right?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:30 AM

15,836 posts, read 21,367,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm aware of the statistics and I find them deplorable. I'm not sure that means we don't treat rape as a serious crime, although reading some of these posts, maybe we don't. There are numerous posters who don't even think this was rape, plus those who are making all kinds of excuses for rapists, like "it's not cool for guys to help someone in trouble".

On to this particular case, this guy had a history of coming on to women; his fraternity brothers should have been watching out a little more.
I think *we*, you and I and many on this thread, do treat rape as a serious crime. I think most treat rape as a serious crime when it preys on our worst fears - waking up with a strange man in your bedroom, being pulled off the street into an alley, an empty parking garage staircase, being drugged, etc.

Society and systems start to break down in less Law and Order: SVU type cases. Even Brock's female friend wrote, "But where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn't always because people are rapists." We've all latched onto the Brock Turner case, but in reality, this story plays out in tons of other cases. If she had just been drunk but not unconscious, we'd have even more people claiming that yes, she enthusiastically consented to having dirt and pine needles shoved up her vagina behind a dirty dumpster with a complete stranger.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Quote:
I think *we*, you and I and many on this thread, do treat rape as a serious crime. I think most treat rape as a serious crime when it preys on our worst fears - waking up with a strange man in your bedroom, being pulled off the street into an alley, an empty parking garage staircase, being drugged, etc.

Society and systems start to break down in less Law and Order: SVU type cases. Even Brock's female friend wrote, "But where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn't always because people are rapists." We've all latched onto the Brock Turner case, but in reality, this story plays out in tons of other cases. If she had just been drunk but not unconscious, we'd have even more people claiming that yes, she enthusiastically consented to having dirt and pine needles shoved up her vagina behind a dirty dumpster with a complete stranger.
Well, Brock's friend retracted her letter. I do agree with you.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeor...z4p#.jvzX2PrOv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies