Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 05:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
my relative thinks if trump gets in and deports all the illegals, it would be bad because prices for produce will necessarily skyrocket. this person thinks that americans wont be willing to pick veggies and fruit in the hot sun for 12 hrs a day, and I think she is right. I don't think we should put up will violent or dangerous illegals but I must say I admire anyone who busts their ass off to make a living. what do you all think about this?
I think *illegal* is just that *illegal* and should be dealt with as such and those who can should be deported no matter which country they are from.
I'm not sure what is so confusing about the word *illegal*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 05:54 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
I'm not sure the price of produce is really the main problem. But your taxes will be what funds that wall and the deportation of 11 million people. That wall is not a one time payment either. It will require maintenance which tax payers will cover. And deporting 11 million people isn't just deporting them It's finding them, transporting them around, and giving them a trial. This isn't cheap.

I'm not saying amnesty is the best option, but so often, the best argument against illegal immigration is the cost on tax payers. Let's not pretend the Trump is going to relieve us of that burden.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:02 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
my relative thinks if trump gets in and deports all the illegals, it would be bad because prices for produce will necessarily skyrocket. this person thinks that americans wont be willing to pick veggies and fruit in the hot sun for 12 hrs a day, and I think she is right. I don't think we should put up will violent or dangerous illegals but I must say I admire anyone who busts their ass off to make a living. what do you all think about this?
As do I, however to your point; there are plenty of people who would gladly work 8 hours a day (there are no involuntary 12 hour work days and there hasn't been for decades by law) in the sun for a wage.

The biggest problem we have now is a generation taught they are owed everything they want.

I started working summers at a bicycle shop doing piece work lacing spokes at the age of 14. One 40 hour week I earned $36 and I was stoked! Work ethics have been lost, fathers no longer parent, and our youth seem to believe money is a right and the world owes them a living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I'm not sure the price of produce is really the main problem. But your taxes will be what funds that wall and the deportation of 11 million people. That wall is not a one time payment either. It will require maintenance which tax payers will cover. And deporting 11 million people isn't just deporting them It's finding them, transporting them around, and giving them a trial. This isn't cheap.

I'm not saying amnesty is the best option, but so often, the best argument against illegal immigration is the cost on tax payers. Let's not pretend the Trump is going to relieve us of that burden.

Look, even Trump knows Mexico won't pay for the wall. However, our southern border is still far too porous and we must do something to stop this flow of illegal immigrants. The fact is that terrorists are taking advantage of our lack of security and exploiting it for the sole intention of destroying us.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Oh my God!!! The price of produce might go up!!! HOLY CRAP!!! Open the boarders now!!
Well how the hell do you think Wal Mart became so big? Rock bottom cheap junk at a one stop shop. People vote with their wallets and they have been voting for globalization and illegal immigration whether they realize it or not.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Default It is just totally impractical.

Yes we should have rigorously enforced our immigration laws in 1988. Or 1989 or 1990.

But we did not.

Now we basically can't.

Far too many. Far too high a cost. Far too little support.

An enforceable eVerify? Sure...the Congress will pass it right after Hell freezes over.

Change the 14th? Sure. A century after they enforce eVerify..

Build the system to deport over 10 million? Some years after they repeal the 14th.

If Trump does get elected guess what the big issue will be in 2020? Of course...Why Donald have you not gotten 10% of the illegals out in four years? He will blame it on resistance from the left. Actually he loses every time to inertia.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:12 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Look, even Drumpf knows Mexico won't pay for the wall. However, our southern border is still far too porous and we must do something to stop this flow of illegal immigrants. The fact is that terrorists are taking advantage of our lack of security and exploiting it for the sole intention of destroying us.
Are terrorists really doing that?

And I don't disagree. We should do something. I just don't think Trump's plan is a good one. Doesn't mean I think we should just leave things as they are.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:38 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Why would not these same immigrants want to pick fruit and veggies if they came here legally? Can only illegals pick fruit?

See my post #9.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
MOST illegal aliens DON'T work on farms, maybe 1 out of 20? Too; IF wages have to go UP to get legal help, I'm def Ok with it.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
To correct wrongs, sometimes there is much pain, before it equalizes out.

The reason no one ever wants to tackle the 1200 pound elephant in the room... Unfunded liabilities that are nearing 120 Trillion and increasing daily.....

Being broke is a weak nation. The 16th amendment, turned our labor into the governments gold. Placed into bondage, to pay for what the government wants and does and never given the ability to consent, or not.... Liberty? What Liberty?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
MOST illegal aliens DON'T work on farms, maybe 1 out of 20? Too; IF wages have to go UP to get legal help, I'm def Ok with it.
What about construction? Logistics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies