Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

Only for the purposes of this discussion, I'll say that my definition of mainstream is white, Christian (not necessarily practicing) Americans, integrated blacks, and assimilated Asians (I'm on of 'em) and Hispanics.

I live in Maryland, which is usually seen as a "blue state". But its not so simple if you look at the county maps and who won in 2004. We have a large African American population that often affects how our state goes (we saw how they voted for Obama this week.) The only districts that voted for teh Dems last time were Baltimore City, which is mostly poor and black, PG County, which is mostly poor black and Hispanic, and Montgomery County, with a mix of poor and lower middle class African Americans and Hispanics (many illegals), a large Jewish population, and a few immigrants from elsewhere. you take this, and a few liberals and hippies you have anywhere, and we are easily a "blue state".

But I've notcied that the vast majority of your white, non-Jewish person here is moderate to conservative and supports Republicans. If you leave the immediate DC and Baltimore areas, you will find people who are Democrats. Even a lot of Americanized Asians I know vote Republican, mostly for fiscal and religious reasons. (Evangelism is big in the Chinese and Korean American communities and like other Chrisitians a lot of these people are values voters and care about morals. At the same time, i've had Jewish friends who say they would be Republicans because like most other Americans they support our military, want the gov't to stop inteferrring with everyday life and wants the illegals out, but the religious aspect of the GOP makes them uncomfortable).

What about where everyone here lives? Are there actually many Democrats and liberals among middle class, Christian white voters? It seems like Democrats always support special interests like African American voters, women voters, Hispanic voters, etc etc. This only fosters divisions that we don't need. We are all Americans before we're anything else. There shouldnt' be black concerns, Asian concerns. There should only be American concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:44 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I'm a left leaning white Republican in NE Ohio. I notice that the majority of my friends tend to share my views, but for the most part I think Republicans just stay under the radar because we feel severely outnumbered in most places.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
I'm sure Republicans think so.

Ken

Old 02-15-2008, 09:57 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
I wouldn't say that mainstream America is Republican, but I would say that mainstream America is generally conservative.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i listened to oboma & Hillary
I just switched to republican
im pretty loyal but
i just needed that extra
push
thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm a left leaning white Republican in NE Ohio. I notice that the majority of my friends tend to share my views, but for the most part I think Republicans just stay under the radar because we feel severely outnumbered in most places.
Allow me to add to that if you will. I believe that most Republicans stay under the radar because we feel severly outnumbered in most places due to the fact that so many Democrats feel the need to tell everyone who will listen what they think about anything and everything at all times. It's not that we feel outnumbered, it just seems that way because we aren't constantly flapping our gums.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
I used to think so, now Im not so sure.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Allow me to add to that if you will. I believe that most Republicans stay under the radar because we feel severly outnumbered in most places due to the fact that so many Democrats feel the need to tell everyone who will listen what they think about anything and everything at all times. It's not that we feel outnumbered, it just seems that way because we aren't constantly flapping our gums.
Really?? I'm not being sarcastic, that is just so far from how I percieve my world. No matter where I'm living (I've lived in alot of places!) I feel I am surrounded by Reps. Other than the internet and a few friends, most people I am in contact with are Reps, incuding my family. Now I live in Utah, so that is a given, but this is true for every other setting I've lived in. I have often wondered where to find IRL other Dems who I could have a good convo with!!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Really?? I'm not being sarcastic, that is just so far from how I percieve my world. No matter where I'm living (I've lived in alot of places!) I feel I am surrounded by Reps. Other than the internet and a few friends, most people I am in contact with are Reps, incuding my family. Now I live in Utah, so that is a given, but this is true for every other setting I've lived in. I have often wondered where to find IRL other Dems who I could have a good convo with!!
You should try moving to Northern Virginia/DC metro area. Nothing but leftists over here in one of the wealthiest parts of the country, which I find strangely ironic since Dems love to call the Republicans the party for the rich.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:06 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
You should try moving to Northern Virginia/DC metro area. Nothing but leftists over here in one of the wealthiest parts of the country, which I find strangely ironic since Dems love to call the Republicans the party for the rich.
Actually I did...but on the other side of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies