Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
i forgot the Civil War was in the 50's.
Don't feel bad, so did most of Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Don't feel bad, so did most of Mississippi.
But by gawd those democrats in Mizzippi tried their best to turn republican as fast as they could.

1964 Presidential election results:

Mississippi

Barry Goldwater William Miller MS Republican 356,528 87.14%

Lyndon Johnson Hubert Humphrey Nat'l Democratic 52,618 12.86%

Old 06-06-2016, 09:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
But by gawd those democrats in Mizzippi tried their best to turn republican as fast as they could.

1964 Presidential election results:

Mississippi

Barry Goldwater William Miller MS Republican 356,528 87.14%

Lyndon Johnson Hubert Humphrey Nat'l Democratic 52,618 12.86%
So, it was the POTUS who decided the laws and such of Mississippi?

Sorry, but the Dems controlled the legislature and governors office the majority of the 20th century.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:15 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,315 times
Quote:
So, it was the POTUS who decided the laws and such of Mississippi?

Sorry, but the Dems controlled the legislature and governors office the majority of the 20th century.
I actually chuckled at this. I cannot believe there are people who are actually this ignorant of American history. Then, I remember these are the same intellectuals swearing Trump is the Bestest, Bestest, Bestest ever to lead the country. Ignorance has no bounds, and this Mississippi controlled by democrats meme is proof. I now understand why they are fine with Trump shredding the Constitution. They have no concept of history or truth. They may not even know we have a Constitution. To the posters attempting to explain why this thread is wrong, there is no point. They are going to have to start so much earlier in American history to grasp this concept.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
I actually chuckled at this. I cannot believe there are people who are actually this ignorant of American history. Then, I remember these are the same intellectuals swearing Trump is the Bestest, Bestest, Bestest ever to lead the country. Ignorance has no bounds, and this Mississippi controlled by democrats meme is proof. I now understand why they are fine with Trump shredding the Constitution. They have no concept of history or truth. They may not even know we have a Constitution. To the posters attempting to explain why this thread is wrong, there is no point. They are going to have to start so much earlier in American history to grasp this concept.
I chuckle that people ignore history and think some conspiracy had people change the records to only make it appear the Dems didn't control Mississippi. It's the same people who think that HRC voted against the war and that Bill wasn't telling us about Iraq's WMDs.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:01 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
The fact is, Mississippi is the largest % black state in the union, the public education system is horrible, there isn't money to develop the state substantially, no corporation or large employer wants to locate there because intelligent and talented people don't want to locate in an area of high crime and terrible schools. Sorry but politics can't solve the problems of Mississippi....it will have to start with a focus on values and education and it will take generations to improve it if it ever happens.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The fact is, Mississippi is the largest % black state in the union, the public education system is horrible, there isn't money to develop the state substantially, no corporation or large employer wants to locate there because intelligent and talented people don't want to locate in an area of high crime and terrible schools. Sorry but politics can't solve the problems of Mississippi....it will have to start with a focus on values and education and it will take generations to improve it if it ever happens.
Speaking as a resident, I don't really think Mississippi will ever change - at least not much.

But please understand, if you take away the 18 dirt-poor delta counties Mississippi takes on a whole 'nother flavor. I've lived in Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Ft Worth and a couple of other places. And I can tell you, all these people who lump Mississippi into one big bucket are way off base.

The delta counties are dying and will continue to die. There will be no turning back. Take a drive through there and see; there are few reasons to move there and just as few reasons to stay.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
I've seen several people on CD pointing out how bad Mississippi is in terms of low wages, poor education and a host of other problems.

Mississippi, until 2000, had been essentially under the control of the Democratic Party.

How long will it take the Republicans to turn around this nearly 200-year-old Democratic mess?
I'm guessing the GOP will:

Privatize Prisons, thereby inadvertently spending more, not less, on criminal justice.
Expand Charter Schools and vouchers for Private Schools.
Cut corporate tax rates.
Inadvertently increase consumption tax rates.
Decrease educational funding.
Annually pass atleast 1 social bill that garners national attention.

If you think these will fix the problem, then Mississippi is in luck. If not it will be just like the other ALEC sponsored legislature like Kansas, Ohio, Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
What the lefties aren't smart enough to understand is that whatever problems Mississippi has is because of a large population of their favorite pet political group.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
What's wring with Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies