Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
 
1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
I have two kids and I will tell them to do whatever they want as long as they make an informed decision. That goes for you too!
That I'm looking forward to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Your mind
2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Reputation: 604
Hopefully, eventually everyone will be interracial so we can stop hating and killing each other over our differing appearances, that would be nice. Like people would still vary in color, but fewer people would claim membership or alleigance to any particular "race" anymore since there would be a continuum rather than islands separated by walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica
4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Reputation: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
People who are in mixed relationships get very angry when someone has a different opinion. This blending of races, cultures means a loss of culture, traditions and identity. And I've been called supremicist for saying this but there is also the loss of genetic traits such as pale skin and light eyes. But, biologically speaking, diversity in the human population is provided by mutations - pale colors. I can say that people in mixed relationships are supremacists too - they desire the traits of a different race. They are trying to recreate those desired traits in their offspring.

It's also not clear where to take the kids to the barber shop. And the Bible doesn't help me make that decision, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Missouri of course
407 posts, read 800,185 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Hopefully, eventually everyone will be interracial so we can stop hating and killing each other over our differing appearances, that would be nice. Like people would still vary in color, but fewer people would claim membership or alleigance to any particular "race" anymore since there would be a continuum rather than islands separated by walls.
Then all the wars and such will be over God and culture. What a dreamer you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Your mind
2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Reputation: 604
Maybe, but it'll be one less stupid reason to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Do you think the 2000s was the start of heavy increase in interracial mixing?
Census tells us that by 2050, Hispanics will be 1/4 of the U.S population. This tells me large number of x/Hispanic couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
 
73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Reputation: 21929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
The days of the pure race anything are bygone. In 20 years everyone will be mixed (except for Royalty and West Virginians), and hopefully tolerant of people who aren't the same "shade" as them. Rather than "what state" is more tolerant, it will be "what generation". Geography really has nothing to do with it.
Actually, even in West Virginia there are people who are biracial or multiracial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 AM
 
164 posts, read 516,801 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
IS it still a big deal to people in general????
I'd think that _most_ people living in large metropolitan areas would be past caring who dated/married who. I see people who look to be mixed race couples all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 AM
 
164 posts, read 516,801 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
This blending of races, cultures means a loss of culture, traditions and identity.
I don't get the loss of genetic traits thing. How does a blend or races/cultures equal loosing one of those cultures? Any children will have a richer set of traditions and heritage, that is if both parents value their own culture enough to pass down family traditions etc.

I almost envy people whose families have managed to assimilate into American life without loosing touch with their originating culture and traditions. They are American citizens but also have another aspect to their lives and a sense of belonging to a larger "clan" identity group.

If I was an immigrant from another country I would want to learn to speak English, become a citizen and assimilate but not loose touch with my roots. I would want to teach my children both languages and both cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:13 AM
 
73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Reputation: 21929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
I don't get the loss of genetic traits thing. How does a blend or races/cultures equal loosing one of those cultures? Any children will have a richer set of traditions and heritage, that is if both parents value their own culture enough to pass down family traditions etc.

I almost envy people whose families have managed to assimilate into American life without loosing touch with their originating culture and traditions. They are American citizens but also have another aspect to their lives and a sense of belonging to a larger "clan" identity group.

If I was an immigrant from another country I would want to learn to speak English, become a citizen and assimilate but not loose touch with my roots. I would want to teach my children both languages and both cultures.
Agreed. Well Put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top