Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,693 times

Advertisements

Like with more black/white relationships and so on, in major cities?

Which city (or state) has/shows more to tolerance for bm/ww relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,836 times
It seems to be quite popular in Minnesota and Ohio.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
It seems to be quite popular in Minnesota and Ohio.
I saw a show recently like 2020 or Oprah ....something like that, that talked to a number of Black women who discussed increaseing trends of Black female and White male couples. I wonder if there are stats for this? Even though I and my wife are both Wh each of us did date people of other ethnic background. IS it still a big deal to people in general????

Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,836 times
I think it depends.
In the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, the cultural ethos for young kids under the age of, say, 30, is such that huge numbers of them have an insatiable compulsion to date outside their race. It's totally unlike anything I've ever seen, anywhere.
I think they (Urban, Ultra Leftist Minnesota) take their never ending quest for "tolerance" and "acceptance" to such an extreme degree that they actually wind up inculcating their youth into believing that they're somehow 'better off' if they date blacks and if they don't, well, that means they're 'racist'.

When I was younger and living in FL, I dated one white Cuban chick (I'm very Italian looking and she was about two orders of magnitude whiter than I was) and a J.A.P. formerly from Long Island. That's about as far as I've ever gotten outside of my own ethnic box (or, I guess one could argue that those are the only ethnic boxes I've ever gotten into *ba*dum*dum*chhhh* but seriously folks... ).

I really see no problem with it as long as the connection is a genuine, individual, human one and not simply a continuation of some bizarre cultural thing where dating black guys makes white chicks look "cool".

Last edited by LM1; 02-15-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times
Why is this even a big deal? I didn't think it was anymore. It's so common to see mixed-race couples that I don't even notice it, and I live smack in the middle of the bible-thumping midwest.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
There will be an increasing interracial "community" in the future....however, there will be a corresponding decrease in racial "awareness" (as in the over-used term 'community') and at some future date, we will find that we simply stop dividing ourselves up this way (I'm already seeing a lot of this today). We'll always find ways to divide ourselves, but race will be of less and less importance, and the last vestiges of racial awareness, sometime in the future, may be strange little groups of "ultra-purists" of any race, who voluntarily choose to live "to themselves" (like the Amish or Mennonites do, but for racial, rather than religious reasons). The rest of society will cease to place much importance on race.

Back to the ORIGINAL post, though, YES...interracial relationships will increase in number in 20 years.

BTW, this thread has hit a nerve with me..I find whole the subject of "future predictions" to be a fascinating one, and there's much evidence to point to the fact that the future may well be harsher, rougher, and 'meaner' than the present, as we 'grow up', rid ourselves of our illusions, and face the inevitable realities of an often-hostile, and often VERY politically-incorrect world. The end of racism doesn't by ANY MEANS signify the end of strife and oppression. We'll continue to 'abuse' each other, and we'll continue to ostracize and judge others.....we just won't do it for "racial" reasons, as we have in the past...

Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Why does it matter?

I know it does not matter to me one bit.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:09 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There will be an increasing interracial "community" in the future....however, there will be a corresponding decrease in racial "awareness" (as in the over-used term 'community') and at some future date, we will find that we simply stop dividing ourselves up this way (I'm already seeing a lot of this today). We'll always find ways to divide ourselves, but race will be of less and less importance, and the last vestiges of racial awareness, sometime in the future, may be strange little groups of "ultra-purists" of any race, who voluntarily choose to live "to themselves" (like the Amish or Mennonites do, but for racial, rather than religious reasons). The rest of society will cease to place much importance on race.

Back to the ORIGINAL post, though, YES...interracial relationships will increase in number in 20 years.

BTW, this thread has hit a nerve with me..I find whole the subject of "future predictions" to be a fascinating one, and there's much evidence to point to the fact that the future may well be harsher, rougher, and 'meaner' than the present, as we 'grow up', rid ourselves of our illusions, and face the inevitable realities of an often-hostile, and often VERY politically-incorrect world. The end of racism doesn't by ANY MEANS signify the end of strife and oppression. We'll continue to 'abuse' each other, and we'll continue to ostracize and judge others.....we just won't do it for "racial" reasons, as we have in the past...
Do you think the 2000s was the start of heavy increase in interracial mixing?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:22 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
The days of the pure race anything are bygone. In 20 years everyone will be mixed (except for Royalty and West Virginians), and hopefully tolerant of people who aren't the same "shade" as them. Rather than "what state" is more tolerant, it will be "what generation". Geography really has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Geesh, I sure hope so. Sometimes I forget that some people are still "shocked" or disapproving of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
The days of the pure race anything are bygone. In 20 years everyone will be mixed (except for Royalty and West Virginians), and hopefully tolerant of people who aren't the same "shade" as them. Rather than "what state" is more tolerant, it will be "what generation". Geography really has nothing to do with it.
ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies