Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:56 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Why make it easier for them? Rapists are going to rape anyway, so why not legalize rape, right? Is that your reasoning?
In order for your comparison to have a moral equivancy, you would have to make certain acts of consensual sex illegal for everyone who's not a rapist the same way that gun rights activists want to make certain guns illegal for everyone who's not a criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
How much longer are you people going to keep pumping out the idea that "They're gunna take away our guns...any day now!"? I mean, after eight years, you must feel pretty depressed that Obama hasn't done even anything remotely close to trying to take any guns away from anyone.

How much longer is the anti-gun left going to use that straw man argument?

No one is implying that the government is taking away their guns all at once, as in confiscation.

The anti-gun left knows it can't do that, so it's content for the time being to take incremental baby steps towards their ultimate goal.

At least until Hildabeast can replace two SC justices.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What attrition? The thread headline disproves your premise.
It actually disproves yours. You said "nobody is coming for your guns", implying people are storming door to door confiscating guns. There isn't a single person here that's claimed that will happen, yet you claim some fictional majority thinks that's the threat?

Nope.

Everyone recognizes the threat is subtraction through attrition, not immediate confiscation.

You're literally arguing against what nobody said.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
Regarding gun registration/assault weapons bans/etc., it's interesting that some sheriffs and police chiefs have gone on record (and in some cases, TV) saying that they would refuse to enforce any law or ordnance that they viewed as unconstitutional. Granted, these folks are more in the rural areas. And you know they'll be reelected in a landslide because their views represent those of a significant percentage of their population.

So, in that case, the ball is back in Washington's or the State 's court. So what do you do? Send in Navy SEALS to kick in doors?

In New York it appears that a sizeable number of folks are quietly ignoring the new SAFE Act's requirement to register certain firearms. I believe that makes them felons but many don't seem to care. In the rural parts of the state, Law Enforcement doesn't seem to care much either. As one writer put it - "People seemed to have repealed the law on their own".

For better or worse, guns are a singular issue on the American landscape. As Bernie Sanders himself put it, guns are viewed differently by urban and rural folks. Coming from curiously pro-gun yet Blue Vermont, that seems reasonable for him to say.

As for me, Santa came really early

Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Record Gun Sales Continue Through May The democrats are the best thing that has ever happened to the gun industry.
Yep, the gun industry is making a lot of money and the poor souls who are brainwashed that Obama is going to take their guns are going into hock.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:31 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
[quote=PedroMartinez;44349719]And?

That's actually a very good purpose.

When a man with a knife jumped into a woman's car at the gas station down the road from me, having her gun kept her from being victimized. She didn't get robbed, raped and possibly killed because she had a gun designed to threaten and/or kill.

She stopped for gas. He got in her car. He threatened her with a knife. She snatched her gun out of her purse. She shoots him. He begs for his life. He exits her car. He runs down the road. He passes out from blood loss.

It sounds to me as though the guns design was perfect.

Should I assume you feel this woman shouldn't have had the ability to defend herself?[/QUOTE]

He would have slit her throat because he would have had one hand on her and one on his knife. Her attempt to retrieve her gun couldn't happen. Her best bet is to hit him in his throat really hard because it deprives him of oxygen. And there is your get away.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:31 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
[quote=natalie469;44372794]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And?

When a man with a knife jumped into a woman's car at the gas station down the road from me, having her gun kept her from being victimized. She didn't get robbed, raped and possibly killed because she had a gun designed to threaten and/or kill.

She stopped for gas. He got in her car. He threatened her with a knife. She snatched her gun out of her purse. She shoots him. He begs for his life. He exits her car. He runs down the road. He passes out from blood loss.

Should I assume you feel this woman shouldn't have had the ability to defend herself?[/QUOTE]

He would have slit her throat because he would have had one hand on her and one on his knife. Her attempt to retrieve her gun couldn't happen. Her best bet is to hit him in his throat really hard because it deprives him of oxygen. And there is your get away.
That is one of the most ignorant (as in lack of knowledge, not an insult) comments I have ever read. Some untrained woman is going to have the skill to crush a grown man's windpipe when he has a knife?

Try this - google knife wound injuries - images. Now, after you get done vomiting, tell us again how to go about this.

A GUN on your HIP is the only realistic defense against a knife unless you are a black belt in karate or a mutant ninja turtle.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And?

Should I assume you feel this woman shouldn't have had the ability to defend herself?[
No, he didn't slit her throat, he got a helicopter ride to the trauma unit.

Woman shoots man trying to rob her at gas station - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-11-2016, 07:40 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

That is one of the most ignorant (as in lack of knowledge, not an insult) comments I have ever read. Some untrained woman is going to have the skill to crush a grown man's windpipe when he has a knife?

Try this - google knife wound injuries - images. Now, after you get done vomiting, tell us again how to go about this.

A GUN on your HIP is the only realistic defense against a knife unless you are a black belt in karate or a mutant ninja turtle.
There is something else as well.

In earlier years, one of my opening hand to hand moves would be to do a knuckle slash across their forehead, potentially opening up a lot of capillaries and blinding them with blood.

The problem is that it would also open up my knuckles and what with contagious blood diseases these days................

.......it's no longer a preferred opening move.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Record Gun Sales Continue Through May The democrats are the best thing that has ever happened to the gun industry.
I just hope there isn't another ammo panic anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies