Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You bring up an excellent point, but I think you're being presumptuous in assuming the woman will get a lighter sentence.
Also, middle eastern countries are the only ones I know where you can actually be EXECUTED if convicted of rape.
And where the rape victim may be punished as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
and NO ONE said we were going to do anything about it. it's a grotesque human rights issue. this is a forum to talk about controversies, right? we don't need to be schooled with "this isn't our concern". why even bother posting here? I really don't get posts like these.
For a reason: it spotlights our own internal hypocrisy in regards to when we do take actions, half of the country tells the other half we shouldn't meddle. When we don't take action, many of those same people get very preachy on morality and or compare the u.s. To places where said atrocity occurred.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And where the rape victim may be punished as well.
May? It seems almost always are.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:12 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
You do realize that the US just gave a rapist a light sentence for "20 minutes of action." We might not be burning girls alive, but we do have plenty of women oppression in this country too.
you do realizes you just compared a light sentence to a rapist to the burning of a young lady....

I suspect you don't see an issue with that.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You bring up an excellent point, but I think you're being presumptuous in assuming the woman will get a lighter sentence.
Also, middle eastern countries are the only ones I know where you can actually be EXECUTED if convicted of rape.

according to Sharia (all the middle eastern countries that execute people for rape) require 4 men to be witnesses to the rape and to testify at the trial to convict a man for the crime.

if 200 women are witnesses, they have no standing in a Sharia court...go figure.

If the woman who was raped, accuses a man of rape but fails to provide 4 male witnesses, her accusation itself is considered an admission of having sex. That admission by default proves her guilty of adultery and the punishment for adultery is stoning to death.

all of the above is straight out of Sharia.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
For a reason: it spotlights our own internal hypocrisy in regards to when we do take actions, half of the country tells the other half we shouldn't meddle. When we don't take action, many of those same people get very preachy on morality and or compare the u.s. To places where said atrocity occurred.
when did we last meddle in country over honor killings?

Old 06-09-2016, 01:07 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
You do realize that the US just gave a rapist a light sentence for "20 minutes of action." We might not be burning girls alive, but we do have plenty of women oppression in this country too.

Yeah, we might not be burning girls alive, but.....

Seriously, I'm a liberal but this hyper "progressive" knee jerk "always paint the west as just as bad" is to the point of absurdity.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Alright, and why doesn't it deserve punishment?
The burning someone alive or the marrying who you want?

Burning some alive is murder, which is illegal.

Marrying someone you want should not carry a punishment, even if it contradicts one's culture.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
You never miss an opportunity to miss the point.
Oh I get your point, Muslims are all horrible savages and America is great. I guess I don't wear the same rose colored glasses and am more of a realist that doesn't lump all Muslims together.

Quote:
so because we have problems here, you don't want to talk about horrific cultural traditions overseas? if so, why do you even post here?
Oh I agree, this event is quite barbaric. It saddens me that people are like that, but I am also aware barbaric nature can be found in any country, including ours.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
when did we last meddle in country over honor killings?
Meddle, make political statements, lecture them (from a purely political stance. I'm not referring to media or individuals).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies