Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 PM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

President Barack Obama says the Democratic primary race is over — and he congratulated Hillary Clinton, though he isn’t ready to endorse quite yet.

But he did say yes to Bernie Sanders when the Vermont senator asked to come to the White House on Thursday.

Read more: Obama to meet with Sanders on Thursday - POLITICO

Why?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:28 PM

596 posts, read 428,529 times
Better luck next time.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:50 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Obama's probably going to try and get Bernie to endorse Hillary. But I also just finished up season 3 of House of Cards so maybe they are actually going to talk about the issues.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:51 PM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
Better luck next time.
Good one. And Harry Reid as well for good measure maybe?

Sanders will also meet privately with Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) in Reid's office on Thursday, a senior Senate Democratic aide said early Wednesday. Reid suggested last week during interviews in Nevada that Sanders should "give up" considering he was on track to lose in the Democratic primary fight. But on Tuesday, Reid declined to say whether Sanders should concede.

Not sure I understand why Sanders hasn't given up yet other than perhaps to make the most of promoting himself and/or his message from the White House. At least that makes some sense to me...

Old 06-08-2016, 05:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Probably plotting to knock over a convenience store.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Good one. And Harry Reid as well for good measure maybe?

Sanders will also meet privately with Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) in Reid's office on Thursday, a senior Senate Democratic aide said early Wednesday. Reid suggested last week during interviews in Nevada that Sanders should "give up" considering he was on track to lose in the Democratic primary fight. But on Tuesday, Reid declined to say whether Sanders should concede.

Not sure I understand why Sanders hasn't given up yet other than perhaps to make the most of promoting himself and/or his message from the White House. At least that makes some sense to me...
Clinton and Obama want Sanders supporters. I'm sure the meeting is about whether Sanders is willing to help in that effort. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Obama's probably going to try and get Bernie to endorse Hillary. But I also just finished up season 3 of House of Cards so maybe they are actually going to talk about the issues.
It's been described as a 'conciliatory' meeting. Diplomacy I imagine. Plus, Obama is very anxious to endorse Hillary and move on with the campaign. I think Bernie is, of course, concerned that his issues are considered as part of the platform.

(BTW, I couldn't get past the first couple of episodes of season 3 because the characters were so out of character. Did it get better?)

Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Obama will probably just sit there while HIS bosses sit Bernie down and either threaten him or try to bribe him. I hope Bernie tells them all to F off.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It's been described as a 'conciliatory' meeting. Diplomacy I imagine. Plus, Obama is very anxious to endorse Hillary and move on with the campaign. I think Bernie is, of course, concerned that his issues are considered as part of the platform.

(BTW, I couldn't get past the first couple of episodes of season 3 because the characters were so out of character. Did it get better?)
I feel like Obama would want Bernie's issues to be part of the platform. It's just hard given that Hillary does have a stance on these that don't line up with his. As Elizabeth Warren put it, one candidate wants debt free college and the other wants free college. It can seem similar but in reality, you can't really believe both (well, presumably free college would be debt free but you know what I mean).

Hopefully some good will come out of it.

(I always saw some of the character inconsistencies as being the nature of politics; two faced. Made more sense with other characters, and to be honest, I rarely felt overly invested in characters and was just interested in plot details so maybe I'll need to re-watch with a more critical eye for character development and see if what I said actually holds up).

Old 06-09-2016, 05:54 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Regardless of what garbage will take place behind closed doors, I think Bernie needs to just stick around anyway. What if common sense does prevail and Hillary Rotten Clinton actually gets indicted? I'd stay tuned for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies