Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

They dont need a warrent for my phone I invite them to listen in all they want.
Cell phone I average about 20 minutes per month use.
Home phone a little more.
Part of the problem of going for warrents is politicians and court workers cant keep their mouths shut for more than 10 seconds. Not enough penalty involved for that crime either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Part of the problem of going for warrents is politicians and court workers cant keep their mouths shut for more than 10 seconds. Not enough penalty involved for that crime either.
I don't know how the process is everywhere but here the cops do not deal with courthouse workers. They have judges that rotate on warrant duty and can be called and seen anytime of the day or night. The cop simply writes up what he wants the warrant for and then swears and testifies his probable cause to the judge who then signs it. And something like 96% of them are signed on the first appearance.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know how the process is everywhere but here the cops do not deal with courthouse workers. They have judges that rotate on warrant duty and can be called and seen anytime of the day or night. The cop simply writes up what he wants the warrant for and then swears and testifies his probable cause to the judge who then signs it. And something like 96% of them are signed on the first appearance.
True enough. But what bothers me are the tip offs to the press, or who ever.
Joe court employee over hears that Sam the local Islamic activist is going to be under the watchful eye of Bush. Joe tells his buddy Dan who also hates Islamic peoples. The story movies like wild fire. Sam will find eventually sooner rather than later hear about it and the wire tap is now useless.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I can see the telecommunications/wireless lobby. Watch, they are mad at Congress, when in fact they should be mad at Bush ... he freaking left for Africa when he said he was going to stick around until Congress did it's job .. didn't he???

He's cutting and running!!
Seriously, he wants to give all this billions of $'s for AIDS research in Africa, but vetoes childrens health insurance for the same amount in the USA.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:38 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
He's cutting and running!!
Seriously, he wants to give all this billions of $'s for AIDS research in Africa, but vetoes childrens health insurance for the same amount in the USA.

neither of the idiot's goals is worthwhile. the shcip bill would have expanded the coverage to families making well into the 60-80k/yr range, far above the national median income. he was right to block that from going into effect. other countries need to solve their own problems and seek aid from private organizations, of which there are plenty.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
The original 1978 FISA act is still in effect. Warrants can be issued up to 72 hours after wiretapping has begun. In the history of FISA, most sources report that they have only denied a warrant 1 or 2 times since 1978.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

That, nor Bush's whining, whimpering, and fear-mongering doesn't change the fact that he is not above the law and shouldn't be treated as such.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:10 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/wa...nJIqP9/WPSOJew

An article discussing mistakes made by the FBI and others during the wiretapping. Not all the mistakes were made under the illegal portion either. Mistakes were made. Often.

And people still want a government managed health care system? Oh, we were supposed to be treating you for throat cancer? We amputated your left leg. Was that where the cancer was?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/wa...nJIqP9/WPSOJew

An article discussing mistakes made by the FBI and others during the wiretapping. Not all the mistakes were made under the illegal portion either. Mistakes were made. Often.

And people still want a government managed health care system? Oh, we were supposed to be treating you for throat cancer? We amputated your left leg. Was that where the cancer was?
Oh for pete's sake , what a stretch! If you don't believe all Americans should have health care just say so but trying to get people to believe that politicians or other government officials will do the operating is ridiculous...stop alreay!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh for pete's sake , what a stretch! If you don't believe all Americans should have health care just say so but trying to get people to believe that politicians or other government officials will do the operating is ridiculous...stop alreay!
politicians don't wiretap either. They just give others the power to do so with no accountability as shown by the link I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies