Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM

371 posts, read 426,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
See, the problem is that this is not at all a black and white issue. What is a human right? While some cases, I think it's pretty obvious who is right. Example, slavery is wrong. America was founded on liberal ideas, like equal rights and individualism, and it's pretty clear that slavery is a violation of that law. Some states disagreed, so much so that we fought a war over it. They were wrong.

Other issues are somewhat less clear. Gay marriage. While I personally support gay marriage, there are arguments that I'm willing to hear. Not religious ones; your religion is your business and no one should give a **** what you believe. But if you think that marriage is a utility for raising kids or believe that marriage should not involve the government at all, I can respect that. And I think the solution should have been that government only recognizes civil unions for all people, then marriage can be a personal/religious thing. It's a moderate compromise. Issues like abortion, healthcare, and education are also somewhat debatable.

While I agree, a sate shouldn't be violating human rights. The problem is, it's not always clear what that means. Nor is it always certain that the federal government will stand up for real human rights. I think that really sad truth is that there isn't an easy solution to the human rights problem you are identifying. Certainly not a solution that fits all situations.
True, good answer.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:31 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Until it happens to your daughter.
Even then it still isn't a human right. If a job was a human right why is there unemployment? She is free to look for another job.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
One fundemental problem that I have with the United States is that, the states have too much power in regards to human rights. Human rights should be federally protected on every level. Economics, gun hunting licenses, infrastructure, yes, they can be autonomously state-run, but human rights should be entirely federal.

An example, say there is a discrimination case against women, they are being let go and recieve severances months before their anticipated pregnancy.

I don't believe the court case should be, "Lucy Becky et. al. vs. xyz corporation of Texas," it should be, "Lucy Becky et. al. vs. xyz corporation of the United States."

Who else agrees?

You're right. Its horrible. I suggest you emigrate and revoke your citizenship ASAP over this outrage.

In your new country I suggest you convince your Federal government to turn it over to the UN, or even the Solar system alliance. Better yet, the Galactic council could guarantee your personal rights because after all, the more remote and disinterested the bureaucratic clap trap is, the safer you will be.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
One fundemental problem that I have with the United States is that, the states have too much power in regards to human rights. Human rights should be federally protected on every level. Economics, gun hunting licenses, infrastructure, yes, they can be autonomously state-run, but human rights should be entirely federal.

An example, say there is a discrimination case against women, they are being let go and recieve severances months before their anticipated pregnancy.

I don't believe the court case should be, "Lucy Becky et. al. vs. xyz corporation of Texas," it should be, "Lucy Becky et. al. vs. xyz corporation of the United States."

Who else agrees?
Yes and No.
Independence of states vs. the federal government has many aspects and is complicated beyond your scenario.
Anyway, if you don't like TX its quite easy to move next door, where you'll find a friendlier attitude towards your views. This way you don't have to force large populations into accepting what they consider unacceptable. That goes in all directions, from left to right and vice versa.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:35 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Pregnancy and cutting off someone's income isn't a human right? If anything it definitely overlaps.
Getting pregnant is a human right. You're not harming anyone, so nobody should stop you if you want to do it. Cutting off income is a human right as well. Why would the business owner be required to keep someone when they could get a more productive worker? It's their job to give or take away for whatever reason they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies