Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:39 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

Anyone here Switch Their Political Side? Any liberals here , call themselves conservatives now?

Same Goes for Conservatives? Have you switched to Liberal Mindset?

What are the reasons that made you switch?

Personally for myself , after 8 years of Obama . His presidency has made me lean towards the Conservative Mindset but prior to him. I always leaned toward the liberal policies.

Now I find myself leaning completely away from being liberal as obama has helped me see the light. I don't think I will ever go back in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 28,057 times
No, I haven't switched. I've always been a little of both. I believe those that consider themselves strictly one or the other are narrow minded. One needs balance in all things.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:49 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
I was more open to liberal thought years ago. They've gone off the rails.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:54 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldtaz View Post
No, I haven't switched. I've always been a little of both. I believe those that consider themselves strictly one or the other are narrow minded. One needs balance in all things.
Same here. I was in the Middle or I would call myself independent but this last presidency has pushed me out of the middle .

Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Statist to non-statist.

I finally realized that if I'm screwing up my own life as bad as I think I must be doing twice the damage to others by trying to rule over them.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:01 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
I went from conservative to libertarian.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:07 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Not fully. I was generally moderate because I believed in treating everyone fairly, but was enamored with the conservative movement to a certain extent because they seemed tougher, and that's what white guys do (I believe that there are subliminal messages in society that tell us this.) Once I started learning about what social justice really means and saw how conservatives are basically all about maintaining straight white male Christian privilege and not a particular agenda, I have generally rejected them. Recently, I've observed that the social justice warrior liberals are totally nuts, and are unwilling to accept that there's a personal responsibility aspect that has influence over what problems you have, and not just "oppression." They even go after you for not being the right type of "minority" - for example, if you're a gay guy who likes being a dude, believes in monogamy and likes watching sports and guns, then forget you for not being a special snowflake with a floating gender identity. This might be push me back to the right, but with the whole Trump phenomenon (and along with Cruz voters, being a clear majority), they aren't even trying to hide their politically incorrect, racist, and misogynistic beliefs. So I guess I'm stuck here in my place, knowing that the next president will almost certainly be a known liar and crook. Yippee!

Old 06-11-2016, 11:11 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Conservative to liberal

In a perfect world, the US would be a perfectly fair, laissez-faire, free-market utopia where everyone could do whatever they want so long as they aren't physically attacking or stealing from others.

But unfortunately, the government insists on heavily taxing their citizens, imposing regulations that make starting a business difficult, zoning laws, endless regulations and restrictions, government surveillance, victimless crimes, etc.

So if the government is going to make it difficult for Americans to make a living their own way, then it should be prepared to help fill in the gaps. If you're gonna be a nanny government, then be consistent about the nanny part.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:15 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
I've always been somewhere in the middle. Conservatives historically have annoyed me more, but these days liberals are more difficult for me to deal with. It's probably because I live in a really liberal area (Seattle) and have to deal with the worst of the worst on a daily basis.

I find myself hating on people that I agree with a lot these days. I'm all for gay rights and I support that lifestyle; however, I despise working with most gays, and I find that I typically don't like or get along with them. It seems like all they do is complain about EVERYTHING.

I support recreational marijuana, but I can't stand potheads. I work with people that get blazed all day that think they're not drug addicts. It's hilarious. Most of them do their job just fine, but it's the little secret society clicks that suck in regards to working with stoners. I hate being blocked from certain projects because I don't get high (on the job).

I support women's rights, but I hate dealing with ball busting fem-Nazis, and I deal with a lot of them.

I support the right to protest, but I get sick of all the protesters. Half the time I think these brats don't even have a true cause. I think they just enjoy protesting like I enjoy riding my bike or fishing. It's literally a lifestyle for some of these people. They'll shut down highways or businesses without even understanding the very issue they're supposed to be championing.

I hate that everything is considered racist now. I'm not racist, but people throw that word out so much that it just doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I'm to the point that that when someone calls me racist, I just nod my head and say "yep." It just has no affect on me because the word is so overused that it simply has lost it's sting IMO.

I could go on and on with this stuff

Old 06-11-2016, 11:17 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Liberals today are a completely different breed than they were 25 years ago. There is no way in hell I could identify with these kooks today. It was nice back then when the two sides were able to work together and get things done. No more, it is impossible to talk sense with a liberal. Liberal today lean on the communist and social side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies