Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yeah, that's why you hear about mass shootings in other Countries at the same rate as ours right? The reality is if you make it difficult it's going to deter a solid chunk of people. It will never end it completely but it will slow down the amount. The average person doesn't need access to military hardware for home defense.
You want to believe in the illusion of control/what the politicians try to sell. I like to address reality based on history/what happens when law upon law is passed or something is banned. Again, illegal drugs, prohibition, on and on and on. Look at the result.

btw, I think paris is one of/the biggest mass shooting events in world history or close to it. Very strict gun laws to say the least so your argument has a big hole in it.

let's get back to the topic before this thread gets closed....plenty of gun discussion threads elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 02:27 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
In light of the recent horrific shooting in Florida by a Mooslim extremeist..Do you think if we should be more cautious on who we let into this country?
This guy was born here.

The question really needs to be "How do we stop people who live here from becoming extremists?" And that doesn't apply only to Muslims but to every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides to shoot up a place. Even people like the Patriot Timothy McVeigh.

We really need to quit supplying people who wish to do us harm with weapons.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:34 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Wow. That's almost comical! Consider how many of the other ones were jihadist or jihadist inspired.

Orlando killing, 50 dead! Far exceeding all others. (KNOWN JIHADIST)
San Bernardino (KNOWN JIHADIST/S)
Virginia TECH. (well, it is not clear whether the attacker converted to Islam since he used the name Ismail X online before the shooting.
Fort Hood (KNOWN JIHADIST)
Washington DC 2013. Well the attacker had set up a webpage as Mohammed Salem, but nothing was made of that.

I see they left off the DC snipers who were jihad inspired too.

September 11 attacks | United States [2001] | Britannica.com
No, what's comical is that you cherry-picked from that list. Gee, I wonder why you left these off?

Colorado Springs, Colo--Robert Dear--right wing right-to-lifer.
Roseburg, Ore--Christopher Harper-Mercer--white supremacist.
Charleston, SC--Dylann Roof--white supremacist.
Newton, CT--Adam Lanza--mentally unstable gun enthusiast.

Quote:
Note too that this more recent attack that was tremendous... but you might have forgotten about using a "sky bullet" AKA planes (those things in the sky). They gained access to said planes using box cutters (something we need to ban).
We did ban box cutters on planes. Hasn't been another 9/11, has there?

Old 06-12-2016, 02:35 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This guy was born here.

The question really needs to be "How do we stop people who live here from becoming extremists?" And that doesn't apply only to Muslims but to every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides to shoot up a place. Even people like the Patriot Timothy McVeigh.

Same way you stop the sun from shining/rising everyday. You can't. Again, look at history. Humans are often nuts/do all sorts of ugly things for various bizarre and emotional reasons and lots of it frankly can't be controlled/prevented as painful as that is to hear for some. As long as humans walk the earth, welcome to reality despite the things being sold on you by politicians that the naive believe. Lots of things simply can't be controlled. And lawbreakers by definition ignore the law anyways. Plus today, agendas often drive the "I can ignore this law!" and get away with it, at the highest levels by our "leaders" as I'm sure you're aware.

Here's the reality as I see it:

"Give us the grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things which should be changed,
And the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."

Last edited by stevek64; 06-12-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 02:35 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This guy was born here.

McVeigh didn't even use a gun to carry out HIS despicable attack 20 years ago.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No, what's comical is that you cherry-picked from that list. Gee, I wonder why you left these off?

We did ban box cutters on planes. Hasn't been another 9/11, has there?
Pointing out that 5 from that LATIMES list are jihadist or jihadist inspired is cherry picking. LOL!!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Pointing out that 5 from that LATIMES list are jihadist or jihadist inspired is cherry picking. LOL!!
And ignoring the many, many more that are not? Yes, that's what cherry-picking means.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
How did a man on the FBI watch list get clearance to be a security guard?
This is a bit fuzzy to me too, but apparently he was a security guard well before he came to the attention of the FBI.

I also haven't heard whether his domestic violence was ever reported to anyone, seems like that should also affect his security guard credentials.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And ignoring the many, many more that are not? Yes, that's what cherry-picking means.
I picked 5 out of the 10. Logic skills are necessary but absent here. That's not cherry picking. Total up those 5 and see the killing and injured totals and get back to me.

Because I did not discuss the others does not mean I was discounting them.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I picked 5 out of the 10. Logic skills are necessary but absent here. That's not cherry picking. Total up those 5 and see the killing and injured totals and get back to me.
Oh, I see what the problem is. You can't count past the digits on your hands. There were 44 mass shootings on that list. Next time, use your toes, and maybe ask your Mom and Dad if you can borrow their fingers and toes, too. That may help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies