Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,483,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Because the, "can kill with cars, box cutters, etc... argument is deflection from the lethal nature of guns, nothing more.
Who needs box cutters when they can illegally purchase guns to use?

Did the Paris attackers use box cutters or illegal weapons?

Criminals don't obey gun laws. Why is this so confusing to you?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,707,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
What more do you want to add to the 4473? https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

What waiting period? It took me approximately 15 minutes to buy my last gun retail.

A seller at a gun show still follows the same federal and state laws. What reason do you provide for outlawing them?
How many private sellers, at gun shows, are required to conduct a background check?

Quote:
Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, federal law clearly defined private sellers as anyone who sold no more than four firearms per year. But the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act lifted that restriction and loosely defined private sellers as people who do not rely on gun sales as the principal way of obtaining their livelihood.
Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM

6,251 posts, read 5,041,305 times
Don't know if this has already been posted, but here's Bernie and Hillary stating that we sell automatic weapons in this country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQIlG7maJrI

Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
He could have killed them all with a gallon of gas and 2 chains.
Deflection! Why do we not arm our soldiers with gallons of gas and chains instead of firearms?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,087,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't know, nor is it really that relevant.

Out of all the tons of cocaine that happen each week, how much of that cocaine started off as a legal purchase?

Make all guns illegal like cocaine and they'll still be sold illegally just like cocaine.
Damn near 100% of guns used in crimes started as a legal purchase. If you don't also tackle the flow of legal guns to the black market, then you're only doing half the job.

Unless I'm missing something about drug laws, I'm guessing close to 0% of cocaine starts off as a legal purchases.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How many private sellers, at gun shows, are required to conduct a background check?
I'm pretty certain it's the same number as cocaine dealers who do background checks, none.

What's the point? If you make all guns illegal, just like cocaine, people who want them will buy them illegally.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Damn near 100% of guns used in crimes started as a legal purchase. If you don't also tackle the flow of legal guns to the black market, then you're only doing half the job.

Unless I'm missing something about drug laws, I'm guessing close to 0% of cocaine starts off as a legal purchases.
Just as prohibition didn't get rid of alcohol, banning guns won't get rid of illegally sold guns.

You'll immediately go from legal guns to illegal guns just as they went from legal booze to illegal booze.

Only those who choose to obey the laws will not have guns. People who obey laws aren't the people to worry about.

As you seem to understand, laws banning cocaine have not stopped cocaine.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 AM

88,673 posts, read 44,417,536 times
Quote:
I'm pretty certain it's the same number as cocaine dealers who do background checks, none.
And the same number as voter registration workers/officials... NONE.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Just as prohibition didn't get rid of alcohol, banning guns won't get rid of illegally sold guns.

You'll immediately go from legal guns to illegal guns just as they went from legal booze to illegal booze.

Only those who choose to obey the laws will not have guns. People who obey laws aren't the people to worry about.

As you seem to understand, laws banning cocaine have not stopped cocaine.
Every law could be refuted with the lawbreaker’s paradox, and societies would swiftly descend into anarchy. Laws against rape, murder, drugs, and theft, for example, are rarely followed by rapists, murderers, drug addicts, and thieves, but because such people exist in society is the reason behind such regulations in the first place. Same goes for laws regulating guns.

We ban illegal drugs in our laws. Drugs alone don't hurt anyone until they are used by a person. Same applies to guns.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:54 AM

19,684 posts, read 10,008,033 times
Let's see, I lock my gun in a safe. When someone breaks into my home, I say wait a minute, I need to get my gun unlocked so I can fight back. Yep, that will work all right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies