Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Where in the definition does it specify one shooter?

I guess Columbine doesn't count bc there were 2 shooters?

Pshaw.
Well, that is not what I said.

However, I maintain that a 'military'* action by the U.S. 7th Cavalry regiment (some 500 or more troopers, plus an artillery battery) against some 350 mainly unarmed Native Americans (leaving 250 or more dead) is vastly different from what most people, nowadays, refer to a 'mass shooting', which does, to me, imply one, or even two (heck, say three), murderers, each armed with a weapon that is designed to kill many quickly.

I guess that if we go with the OP's definition, which seems to include the action of military units, then we may call many, if not all, of the battles in the Civil War 'mass shootings' on American soil.

I guess one could also toss in the Mountain Meadows Massacre. It was a 'mass shooting', with many shooters and many victims.

*I hate to call it a 'military' action, however, some 20 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor. 25 troopers were killed during this event, and 45 wounded, some by 'friendly fire'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:37 AM

19,788 posts, read 12,040,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We had another mass shooting around June of last year. It's long forgotten now.
We had a mass shooting just 7 months ago, a husband and wife team that massacred 14 co-workers who had recently given the couple a baby shower.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:38 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,900,425 times
Maybe in modern history but not U.S history.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,944,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, that is not what I said.

However, I maintain that a 'military'* action by the U.S. 7th Cavalry regiment (some 500 or more troopers, plus an artillery battery) against some 350 mainly unarmed Native Americans (leaving 250 or more dead) is vastly different from what most people, nowadays, refer to a 'mass shooting', which does, to me, imply one, or even two (heck, say three), murderers, each armed with a weapon that is designed to kill many quickly.

I guess that if we go with the OP's definition, which seems to include the action of military units, then we may call many, if not all, of the battles in the Civil War 'mass shootings' on American soil.

I guess one could also toss in the Mountain Meadows Massacre. It was a 'mass shooting', with many shooters and many victims.

*I hate to call it a 'military' action, however, some 20 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor. 25 troopers were killed during this event, and 45 wounded, some by 'friendly fire'.
Given "modern" rules of warfare I believe what was done (then) would be classified as mass murder were it to happen today.
I hope it's clear I'm not denigrating in any way what happened in Orlando, it was truly horrific. I just found it interesting/amusing that my son just popped off with this analysis although, he's quite skeptical of the news media and the hyping of any disaster so I guess I shouldn't be "too" surprised.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,436,448 times
Using the OP's definition then the first mass shooting was at Bunker Hill.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:21 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,666,419 times
I can understand why the main stream media saying it was the worst in American history upsetting people. I see a lot of posts on FB about how black Wall street was worse. I'm not denying that.

The problem I have is it wasn't even several hours after the media announced that where people were already creating there memes & arguing about what was worse etc.

Just really makes me shake my head. I could understand a few days later but less than 10 hours!?! makes you really sound like you careless about people dying and more concerned about making a political point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies