Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 AM

447 posts, read 557,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope. Read above. Trump was proved absolutely right.

No wonder Obama wants to keep TPP secret including Hillary's emails on the subject.

Quote:
Production of Jeep Renegade begins in China

There is zero Renegade production in the U.S.

So you think Renegade is the only Jeep model. Just curious, are you guys even living in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I just posted the link where they did not pay back "more". We lost almost 10 billions dollars and if you figure in the other programs far more than that.

It's interesting to note your preferences for corporate welfare though.
OK, don't conflate the Chrysler bailout with "auto bailout". If you include GM's $10 billion or so of unpaid loan in the "auto bailout", of course they would be in the hole. TARP as a whole made over $15 billion for the government, if you want to talk about that.

If you count the money infused by Obama only, I've read (and Obama has stated explicitly) that the US government has recovered more than it has given. There is some controversy on the methodology, as I mentioned.

If you include the bailout money given out by Bush, then Chrysler has paid back 90% of the borrowed money and is in the hole by about $1 billion. https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list

Corporate welfare? First of all, unlike the Wall Street, the Great Recession wasn't the fault of the auto industry. Second:

Quote:
But opting not to bail out the auto industry likely would have proven far more costly, since GM, Chrysler and many car dealers likely would have gone out of business without the government's help.
If GM and Chrysler had gone under, it would have cost an estimated $39 billion to $105 billion in lost tax revenues as well as assistance to the unemployed, according to a study from the Center for Auto Research. And the government also would have been on the hook for billions in promised pension payments to autoworkers.
U.S. ends TARP with $15.3 billion profit - Dec. 19, 2014

Mick

Old 06-15-2016, 08:05 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
So you think Renegade is the only Jeep model. Just curious, are you guys even living in the US?
I live in North Carolina, and the topic is not about me so stop with the fallacious attempts to distract from the subject at hand.

As for the rest of your post, already addressed. //www.city-data.com/forum/44422803-post28.html

Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
OK, don't conflate the Chrysler bailout with "auto bailout". If you include GM's $10 billion or so of unpaid loan in the "auto bailout", of course they would be in the hole. TARP as a whole made over $15 billion for the government, if you want to talk about that.

If you count the money infused by Obama only, I've read (and Obama has stated explicitly) that the US government has recovered more than it has given. There is some controversy on the methodology, as I mentioned.

If you include the bailout money given out by Bush, then Chrysler has paid back 90% of the borrowed money and is in the hole by about $1 billion. https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list

Corporate welfare? First of all, unlike the Wall Street, the Great Recession wasn't the fault of the auto industry. Second:

U.S. ends TARP with $15.3 billion profit - Dec. 19, 2014

Mick

OK. So you agree that Chrysler was bailed out by guarantees by the US taxpayer. Unfortunately it will be the Chinese taxpayers that ultimately benefit from it. Obama's idiotic trade deals guarantee it.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
8 years and you are left with blaming every stupid thing Obama did on Bush still. Bush was a moron. Obama was part II.
Sure he was, but when your predecessor commits to wars and bailouts you can't reverse those decision once the ball has started rolling. Billions were already spent on bailouts, wars.......

Old 06-15-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sure he was, but when your predecessor commits to wars and bailouts you can't reverse those decision once the ball has started rolling. Billions were already spent on bailouts, wars.......
Yet Hillary was there during both administrations voting for and supporting every bad decision made by Bush & Obama on wars & bailouts.

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Production of Jeep Renegade begins in China

We should note.......Detroit Free Press.

As the article notes......the Renegade is not built anywhere in the U.S. Why are they building them in China? To get around import duties. I do not have a major problem with that. If they want to build these in China for the Chinese market fine. What will happen though is they will be shipped back here with NO import duties.
Look at Detroit..this is globalism on the American people and their cities.. we will become the poor nation of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2IScU_q_zY

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Blueberries are good. I can avoid the subject better than you.

The Renegade has started production in China to avoid import duties. It will be shipped back here with NO import duties. Where I live does not change that one bit.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
No it did not. I have indeed talked about that endlessly. Much of what was claimed as being paid back never actually was. It was simply taking billions from new programs to pay back Tarp.

I've documented that here many times.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Every firm that took Govt bailout funds are using foreigners with work visas to work with lower wages and these firms are outsourcing production outside of the US as well. We are also at a point where these jobs will never return because the companies already invested provisions elsewhere that will be too costly to absorb on their balance sheet if they were asked to move back.

Govt for the big corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies