Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:17 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Just for S&G... what's your stance on the Confederate flag flying over gov't buildings?
I will chime in on this. I despise the Confederate flag flying on government buildings. I despise it in general, but especially on government buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:17 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Race relations have always been this bad. Things like the media, however, have just shown us things we didn't always see.
Agreed...I think there was always tension, and things are just bubbling to the surface now.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:21 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Agreed...I think there was always tension, and things are just bubbling to the surface now.
Things have bubbled to the surface before. Rodney King riots, O.J. Simpson controversy, Miami riots.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I never heard of any liberals calling carter a racist when he banned muslims from entering the USA during the iran hostage crisis in the late 1970's.
Not the same.
But you knew that. The distinction between nationality and religion is significant.

Visa restrictions are not a ban. Iran was a sovereign state holding hostages, a violation of diplomatic immunity. The counter-measures were appropriate under international law.

I don't think Trump is a racist, but he constantly says racist things, since it gets him more attention. He thinks he is on a game show, where winning the round is all that matters.
But the real racists, are those who follow and defend his every word.

Have you looked in the mirror lately?

Last edited by plannine; 06-15-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 11:37 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
As for Trump, saying Mexico sends rapists and following it up with 'some, I assume, are good people.' He assumes... Yeah, great... Or his recent thing about pointing out his 'black guy.' The dude just starts talking. The crazies eat it up, but the rest of us are really confused as to how this man wound up being the last Republican standing.
It's a speech-pattern processing issue. He did not say those things outright. He leaves out words sometimes. Similar to how Obama stammers. Trump said "their" in the context of an intended complete sentence, not "they're." It's pretty obvious to me he intended to add "friend" or something like that at the end of "African-American." When you're publically speaking without a teleprompter, these kinds of things can happen, and in the moment, he did not go back and correct his thoughts.

That said, he's said some pretty crazy things. Not condoning it, but it's a larger reaction to a politically-correct environment that was getting to the point of shutting down free speech. I think what people started to realize is that the pro-PC crowd was no longer holding up their end of the deal. Is Trump's approach presidential? No it's not.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Not the same.
But you knew that. The distinction between nationality and religion is significant.

Visa restrictions are not a ban. Iran was a sovereign state holding hostages, a violation of diplomatic immunity. The counter-measures were appropriate under international law.

I don't think Trump is a racist, but he constantly says racist things, since it gets him more attention.
But the real racists, are those who follow and defend his every word.

Have you looked in the mirror lately?
yes, trump is a racist you don't "constantly say racist things" and not be a racist. and yes some of his followers are truly racist the other followers don't mind associating and supporting racists.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:31 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Because they don't have anything viable to take Trump down so they call him the buzz word "racist". Most people using the word can't even define it.

Let Pastor Dowell how those that don't get it understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIPWYQ7ft8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuduOi9g_NE

Or if you prefer, Herman Cain on the same subject:

Herman Cain: 'Donald Trump is not a racist' - POLITICO

Old 06-15-2016, 12:42 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
ever hear of the 10th Amendment? it might be repugnant, but if the voters of that state vote to keep the flag in place in their state, then the feds have no say so at all.

people could say the same thing about the mexican and isis flags.
Nothing Obama has said or done will ever come as close to ruining race relations as flying that flag. The people claiming Obama has done something to negatively affect race relations are usually the same ones defending their right to fly the Confederate flag.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will chime in on this. I despise the Confederate flag flying on government buildings. I despise it in general, but especially on government buildings.
And do you think Obama has hurt race relations?

Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Barack did NOT work and study hard to become president. He admitted in his book that he spent most of his high school years "in a daze" from drugs. He had foreign benefactors to clear his path to the White House.

Absolutely. The only thing he learned in college was diction: take that high pitched Nellie voice and change it to a low pitch street-level guttural. He did very well. I would bet my last dime on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies