Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times

Advertisements

The article said he was playing at the waters edge. Not the same as swimming or surely the lifeguard would have said something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,494,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It was posted NO SWIMMING! Darwin award here.
So your blaming the two year old? Yeah. If it was one of the parents sure. But a Darwin Award to a two year old? Come on. Doesn't apply here.

http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/

Clueless parent award is more applicable .

Last edited by baystater; 06-15-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,728,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Say it with me: Radical predation. Just saying the words will make it stop.
Snarky, and pretty funny but there is a huge difference in why saying a certain thing is actually addressing that thing.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM

88,776 posts, read 44,561,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Disney removes them from areas near guest areas but this one got through.

How horrific.
They remove them? At the press conference earlier today, the FL wildlife officer said they'd removed 4 alligators from the lagoon but none of them had evidence of being the gator that snatched the toddler.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:43 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,903,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Why can't we just all agree this was a horrible tragedy and leave it at that? What is the point of this thread? Do we really have to judge the parents from behind our keyboards?

I can't begin to imagine the pain this family is going through. And for the internet tough guys commenting, the kids father went into the water to try to save his son. He lost.
Good post I am not comparing a dog to a child, by any means......... I lost a dog in the woods and never found him, I had information he was dead, but never confirmed. Just going through that loss ( was the only dog to steal my heart, I don't get this attached anymore) was traumatic. I spent 3 weeks, first thing in the morning and as soon as I was off of work, looking for him and the pain was awful.

I can image I feel so sorry for these parents, life will never be the same.

Most of us who live around wildlife know the hazards, it's the tourist who are unaware.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Why can't we just all agree this was a horrible tragedy and leave it at that? What is the point of this thread? Do we really have to judge the parents from behind our keyboards?
The family is from Nebraska. I'm guessing they had NO awareness of the gator danger. That's why I think Disney should post explicit 'Beware of Alligators' warning signs with an image (for visitors who don't speak English), even though it's not the all happiness and fairy dust image Disney is trying to promote. They DO have a responsibility to their visitors.

Quote:
I can't begin to imagine the pain this family is going through. And for the internet tough guys commenting, the kids father went into the water to try to save his son. He lost.
I can't either. This is something that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Some people never ever recover from a horrific tragedy like that.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,903,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They remove them? At the press conference earlier today, the FL wildlife officer said they'd removed 4 alligators from the lagoon but none of them had evidence of being the gator that snatched the toddler.
Not a gator fan, but they lost their life being innocent..........

Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The article the OP links to said the same. My comment was based on this article.

Quote:
Alligators are a relatively common sight at the resort but are removed and relocated when they reach four feet and get too close to guest areas. In addition to the Grand Floridian, Disney's Polynesian Village resort is also located on the edge of the Seven Seas Lagoon. The lagoon itself is connected to the larger Bay Lake - home to Disney's Contemporary Resort and Wilderness Lodge hotels - by a narrow strait.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Ignorance is NO excuse, but unfortunately we have a population of very ignorant people who use it as one.
I realize that, but this tragedy could have possibly been prevented had 'Beware of Alligators' signs been posted. I see them all the time in other gator country areas. Even my elderly Mom's Church has signs like that posted near the little lazy stream next to their parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies