Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: P.C. is good and necessary
Yes 15 15.00%
NO 85 85.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:32 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,596,074 times

Advertisements

Poll speaks for itself.

Trump is right again.

Majority are with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,462,302 times
What's scary to me in this poll is the 9 people(so far) who voted that PC is "necessary".

Old 06-16-2016, 05:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,874,742 times
Polls speak for themselves when they aren't from a swayed source. City-data is mostly known for an anti-P.C. crowd so it is a known bias to say no it isn't.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Trump claims P.C. is deadly, Obama says it necessary. What say you ? Be sure to weigh in on the poll.

Negative views of both Hillary and Trump are moving up. I think the people are disgusted and the MSM not providing honest reporting is being rejected also.

This is meant to be a broad topic so don't hold back on supporting your position in any area of P.C. please.
If Trump's lack of a filter, common decency compass, and shoot from the lip style is PC, for him and his mob, and I think it is, then count me out. Its also one of the things among many others that is going to get him wiped out in November.

The majority of the country is not buying what he is selling nor should they, and don't want their President being and angry insensitive, screamer.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:32 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,947,414 times
Trump claims P.C. is deadly, Obama says it necessary. What say you ?

What say I? I think Obama if full of ....

Old 06-16-2016, 06:34 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,894,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
False equivalency and false dichotomy.
Lol. Sometimes it's good to hold ones mouth and sometimes it's good to say what needs to be heard. Neither Trump or Obama seem to understand that.

I didn't vote as I don't think it's a simple yes or no answer. The left is too PC, but Trump does goes too far.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:39 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,033 times
Well..This Poll has spoken..It's clear..that 59% ( so far) on THIS Foram are in favour of a Nominee that offends most everyone who is NOT considered American enough based on their origins.... I can only ask one thing..How is any Country founded on their original Constitution embrace such a premise???????

Wonderful

Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,041,795 times
I think that while some PC is needed in the world, on the whole I believe being PC creates as many or more issues than it solves. The things I dislike about an overly PC world is:

- people seem to get offended wayyy to easily these days over even the most minor of things. Whether many people have very thin skin and they're overly sensitive or they're trying hard to look for something to get angry at or something else, stuff that wasn't a big deal in the past and few people cared about, now often get people up in arms.

- how PC you need to be seems to very ALOT depending on your race/ethnicity. If you're white you REALLY need to watch what you say, but if you're black or Muslim you most definitely have much more leeway as to how much you can say and get away with. For example a few months ago a Black Lives Matter organizer in Toronto literally tweeted 'Please Allah give me the strength to not kill men and white people' and someone found that tweet and made it public and it got alot of press here.

You would think there would be alot of backlash and anger over such a tweet, but all the political leaders from the mayor of Toronto to the premier of Ontario BACKED AWAY from calling her out on that tweet and she received NO PUNISHMENT whatsoever for her comment, she NEVER had to apologise for her tweet and the worst thing she got was public backlash for a while and that's it. I can't imagine a white person saying the same thing towards blacks and not face HUGE condemnation from politicians everywhere as well as probably facing losing their job and as well being forced to publicly apologise for their comments if they don't want their careers to be ruined permanently.

- being too PC has led to certain issues being almost off limits while other issues can be talked about endlessly. For example there is no end to how black people complain about the police and the justice system and how they're mistreated by them and while there's probably some truth to that, they won't spend a similar amount of time talking about high black crime rates that lead to them interacting with police and the justice system FAR MORE OFTEN than most other groups of people. And if other people try and bring up that issue well good luck doing that without being called racist, bigots etc.

That's what I really hate about PCness these days where depending on who you are, you can either get away with alot or get away with nothing. Maybe if PC was equal no matter your race/ethnicity/who you are in general then it wouldn't be as bad, but this hasn't been the case for a very long time and that's probably the worst thing about PC where different people are held to different standards of PCness.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Ok, it's not really that simple.

Political correctness is really just a way of being polite. Basically, don't say ****** in public. Things like that. I think that at an individual level, PC can be good. Honesty is more important, and if honesty and PC ever clash, honest should come first. But be honest in a polite way.

There is such a thing as PC gone too far. That's when people get fired over tweets and things like that. Saying something racist unintentionally should not be a career ending thing. Explain that it was unintentional and that you meant no offense, and the controversy, if one develops, should end there and never be brought up again.

As is often the case, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. PC does something good which makes politics more civil and accessible, but too much can make it more dishonest than it already is.
good points. I would add that sugar-coating, lying, covering-up are all things that fall under the PC umbrella. People need to tell the truth! If 90% of murders are committed by blacks then don't dispute it. If a Muslim terrorist detonates a bomb then tell it like it is! If a white guy kills 9 blacks Christians then we need to report it truthfully! The truth hurts... but lies are worse!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:14 PM

52,678 posts, read 47,928,690 times
Political correctness is stupid, trivial, and silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies