Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM

29,377 posts, read 9,555,397 times

Advertisements

JOHN YANG: The NRA says it’s America’s most popular rifle, used legally and safely by millions of people. A lawyer for victims’ families says it’s the gold standard for mass murder of innocent civilians.

The AR-15 has been used in some of the nation’s worst mass shootings, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, an Oregon community college, and now an Orlando gay club.

To learn more about the rifle, its popularity among gun enthusiasts and its place in American culture, we went to a Northern Virginia gun range to speak with former Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Phillip Carter, himself a gun owner, who knows the AR-15 well from his service as an Army officer.

Why is this weapon so popular?

It
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM

5,034 posts, read 2,241,220 times
There are a few issues with this interview, not the least of which is that the shooter in Orlando didn't use an AR-15.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 AM

19,684 posts, read 10,008,033 times
First of all, he is wrong. The gun used in Orlando was not an AR15, it was a Sig Sauer MCX. I have never fired either one. I did use a M-14 and M-16 in the Army. Great target rifles. I have been at the range with people firing one. Not my thing, I prefer my S&W M&P 22 or my Sig 22 rifle. But I have no problem with other people owning one. I can't afford one.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,556,432 times
The shooter works as a security contractor and has a gun license, he could get any gun he needed for the job. So gun control advocates like Obama and Hillary would not be able to stop this shooting.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
JOHN YANG: The NRA says it’s America’s most popular rifle, used legally and safely by millions of people. A lawyer for victims’ families says it’s the gold standard for mass murder of innocent civilians.

The AR-15 has been used in some of the nation’s worst mass shootings, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, an Oregon community college, and now an Orlando gay club.

To learn more about the rifle, its popularity among gun enthusiasts and its place in American culture, we went to a Northern Virginia gun range to speak with former Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Phillip Carter, himself a gun owner, who knows the AR-15 well from his service as an Army officer.

It
Don't know how he knows the weapon well from the service, it is not a military rifle.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 AM

29,377 posts, read 9,555,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
There are a few issues with this interview, not the least of which is that the shooter in Orlando didn't use an AR-15.
Yes, I've heard these particulars parsed before and again the media could do well to be more accurate, but sometimes I think their want to get the story out sooner rather than later undermines their want to report accurately.

"The Sig Sauer MCX .223-caliber rifle's magazine capacity is 30 rounds. The weapon is a semi-automatic rifle, which means each shot requires a separate pull of the trigger. The Sig Sauer MCX rifle takes an AR-15 style magazine and ammunition.

Point is, I think, these high capacity weapons in general.

"The shootings are sparking debate about whether to revive and update a lapsed assault weapons ban. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired in 2004, applied to 118 models and variations. An assault weapon is different from an assault rifle, which by definition is a military weapon that can either fire continuously or in short bursts with a single pull of the trigger."

Weapons gunman used in Orlando shooting are high-capacity, common

Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 AM

50,106 posts, read 46,699,006 times
Quote:

It
It's the toyota corolla of the gun world and does most everything well.

light
compact
interchangeable parts
found everywhere
easy to work on
fairly cheap
durable
accurate
highly accurate for hunting or target shooting
fits everyone easily

If someone wants just one gun that is the one they should choose

Old 06-15-2016, 11:54 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,542,461 times
Quote:
Yes, I've heard these particulars parsed before and again the media could do well to be more accurate, but sometimes I think their want to get the story out sooner rather than later undermines their want to report accurately.

"The Sig Sauer MCX .223-caliber rifle's magazine capacity is 30 rounds. The weapon is a semi-automatic rifle, which means each shot requires a separate pull of the trigger. The Sig Sauer MCX rifle takes an AR-15 style magazine and ammunition.

"The shootings are sparking debate about whether to revive and update a lapsed assault weapons ban. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired in 2004, applied to 118 models and variations. An assault weapon is different from an assault rifle, which by definition is a military weapon that can either fire continuously or in short bursts with a single pull of the trigger."

So then we are advocating for the ban of a weapon that the Orlando shooter didn't use?

Somehow that will stop future events from happening?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM

50,106 posts, read 46,699,006 times
Oh boy, from the article

There’s a massive spring here in the stock that absorbs quite a bit of the recoil. There’s also, by design, a gas system that takes a lot of the gas from the firing of each bullet, and it evaporates it, so that when each bullet is fired, that gas and that recoil isn’t coming back on the shoulder each time, but it’s actually in the rifle in a more constructive manner.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:

The 1994 ban was based solely on looks, not on function. It was an idiotic, ineffectual law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies