Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "No Fly, No Buy". Do you agree that people on the no-fly list should be barred from buyin
Yes 31 43.66%
No 40 56.34%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Any muslims on the no fly list need to be deported.
The no fly list, the selectee list, the terrorist watch list.....

THOSE LISTS need deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well it is up for debate that the FBI dropped the ball on the terrorist that shot up the club in Orlando and now it is being argued if someone is on the No fly list that their name should also be put on a No Buy list when it comes to guns.

It makes sense to me that if someone is deemed too dangerous or risky to be allowed to fly in a airplane then that persons name should also be put on a No Buy list. Yes mistakes are made and people find themselves on the no fly list when they have done nothing wrong and I'm sure the same would happen with a no buy list so there needs to be a way that someone can clear their name in a timely fashion.

What I don't understand if someone is on the no fly list what are they doing walking around among us?

How far should the list go? If you are on the no fly list and your name gets put on the no buy list then what should happen if you are merely under investigation? Of course if you are under investigation by the FBI you probably should not be allowed to buy firearms.

On the flip side of the debate.
In the end do we really want to give the Gov. more rights over the citizens where suddenly your name could appear on a no buy list and it could take months or longer if ever to clear your name and if you are a gun collector what happens to your collection in the meantime?

I still say the best start to gun control is to enforce the laws we already have.
3 groups are United on this No Fly, No Buy Fairytale.
The Republicans, the NRA & the ACLU. When was the last time you saw that Alliance?
It's all the Republicans need to say - "I stand with the ACLU on this issue."

It's not just Gun Laws we need to follow, it's ALL Laws we need to follow.
Law and order is now decided in Washington DC according to political agenda. The DOJ is cherry picking which ones to follow - up to, and including - Perjury in a Federal Court & to the US Congress.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:31 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
The opposite side of this is the TSA Pre-Approved Flight List. How do they determine that one? I have been on this Security line with only the FLIGHT CREW flying out of JFK; no shoes off, no coat off, no laptop out of bag, no full body scanner. One, two, three. It took me longer to book my flight online. When I flew the beginning of June, one way ticket, we were told to allow at least 2 hours to get through Security for extra precautions. It took me about 5 minutes on the Pre-Approved line.

One will never know the reasoning for either of these lists. However, if you are too dangerous to fly on a plane, then you are too dangerous to own guns. I agree with Republican Senator Collins proposed legislation.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:21 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.â€
-Benjamin Franklin.

Funny thing. How would you know someone is Muslim just by looking? I have friends who are of Middle Eastern descent, who are Christians.
It's not up to me to decide "by looking"- the authorities would have that info, and base their decisions on it.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
How is the no fly list determined and up dated? It is a slippery slope when these things are open ended and somewhat arbitrary. We could all be placed on this list without safe guards!

There are children on the list, and thousands of people with "similar names to possible terrorists" which is a stunning example of probable deniability in full effect. There have been many placed on the list for sheer political reasons. It's a(nother) sham to screw us in the name of protecting us.

A silly two choice poll couldn't begin to offer a logical outcome. There are simply too many variables.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:50 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Only once there's actual due process.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:06 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You don't have much freedom when you're in a plane at 40,000 feet with a terrorist.
You don't have much freedom when you're dead.
Then advocate for MORE FREEDOM, not less. Terrorists took over those planes using box cutters. Solution - take away all sharp objects from US citizens and "arm them" with plastic knives and forks.

Terrorist tries to blow up a plane by putting explosives in his shoes (seen and overwhelmed by nearby passengers) Solution - create long lines and intrusive screening of law abiding US citizens regardless of age/sex/disability, etc.

Why is it, when it comes to terrorism, the only people getting punished are the intended targets.

Why is the ONLY solution to acts of terrorism or murderous acts by criminals or the mentally ill, to TAKE AWAY the FREEDOMS of all citizens instead of focusing on the actual perpetrator of the actions???

Old 06-23-2016, 02:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Only once there's actual due process.
Agree with this. Until there's due process, taking away a constitutional right of a citizen because they're on a list is a no-go for me. That list is an absolute mess anyway.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Agree with this. Until there's due process, taking away a constitutional right of a citizen because they're on a list is a no-go for me. That list is an absolute mess anyway.
Then fix the damned list! Then if you are on the list you don't get to buy a gun or boxcutters or any of a number of weapons type objects of things.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
These ideas have gotten fairly bizarre. Here is another one. Instead of disarming every passenger we should place a single shot pistol in the pouch on the back of every seat. Then when a terrorist tries to light his shoe bomb the passenger next to him puts the gun in his ear an pulls the trigger. If it is a gang with box cutters do the same. year some innocents will get wounded or killed but that is a far better alternative than getting everyone as well as a several thousand killed by flying into a building.

Everyone in this country has to recognize this world is returning to the violence that has plagued it for the previous centuries. There is no longer any Pax Americana. By the very nature of terrorism people cannot expect travel or even a crowded nightclub to be safe. Every individual now has to decide how much risk they are willing to take considering the government no longer can even pretend it is protecting us.

What I do resent is government's assertion that by disarming us as individuals they are making us safer. They are obviously not nor have they ever taken on the responsibility of doing so. Even with the realization that being harmed by terrorist assault is very unlikely it is a good idea to be alert, aware and armed. Always.

Back to the main point. If the government is going to place me on a No Fly or No Buy list they must tell me when and why I am on that list and allow me to examine the evidence they are using to restrict my movements or ability to be armed. The latter would create an intelligence difficulty as telling a suspected terrorist that the police are aware of his existence will make tracking him and his accomplices more difficult. IMHO if the police have enough evidence to place a person on either of these lists they have enough evidence to prosecute them under our espionage laws and provide the person with their day in court as part of our due process system. Having the police keeping secret files in secret databases is a straight road to developing a State Political Police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies