Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
With the image that Disney presents, a paradise.. you would think it would make sure that no alligator could get in.. they could have built some kind of barriers to keep them from going in the water. It is a man made lake , build some kind of steel gate in the water that kept them from going to the water.

Or the much cheaper way out.. a sign.. alligators
Lake is about 30 years old. This is the first time an allegator attacked.

Disney typically holds Movies under the Stars on the beach. Perhaps this was why the family was at the beach.

Why a beach when swimming is not allowed?

The lack of appropriate signage warning of potential risks is huge. People visit Disney from all over the world and US and likely do not understand remote risks like alligators. Likely the insurers of Disney's liability plans sold pieces of it to the international reinsurance markets. They will settle with the family.

There was an allegator attack at a Disney campsite about 30 years ago. Kids were playing in the swamp. Child was older and sibs distracted and beat on the alligator and saved their brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:27 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,684,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Really sad, but I also hope the family sues the butt off Disney. You go to a theme park and pay as much money as people do today, and your 2 year old is killed by one of the attractions?
I don't think the alligator was an "attraction"; it is a native reptile.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM

33,508 posts, read 18,066,718 times
People of all ages are attacked by alligators.

List of people killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,782,378 times
First I want to say, I truly feel for this family. It is such a tragedy and a sad situation and I'm sure any "settlement" amount is not as good as having your child in your life anymore. It is heartbreaking.

However I agree with below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
^^This. People feed bears, rattlesnakes, want to pet the moose... A couple of years ago some folks climbed a fence around a fast moving stream and ignored the "Slick Rocks - No Wading" sign and were promptly washed over the waterfall downstream and killed.
I have also visited/hiked trails near waterfalls and there were signs posted about slick rocks and for people not to get into the water and I saw 10-12 people right next to a sign on the "slick rocks." Many times when people visit a place, they ignore signs and IMO a "no swimming" sign means don't get in the water. I have been frequently given side eyes from my own family and kids when we go hiking or fishing or day camping because I follow the rules. My son especially after seeing those people on the rocks by the water fall wanted me to let him get on the rocks and take his picture. I'm sure there were other families at the "beach" on that resort and that made a false sense of safety for this family. People should use better judgment and especially so with children.

On below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
It looks like Disney needs to change that beach. You can't set up an entire beach scene and then be surprised when someone puts their toes in the water.
We are big rule followerss, and I wouldn't have thought "no swimming" meant no putting feet at the edge. Especially in a perfectfully manicured beach setting. And being from an area without alligators, I wouldn't have realized the risk
So sad.

For the person asking about the difference in this and the boy who got into the monkey enclosure. It appears this parent was right with his son on beach when the alligator snatched him. The other mom didn't even realize her son was gone until other people noted he was in the enclosure. Both sad situations, but luckily for the zoo mom, her son lived.
On the bold, I have seen MANY national news stories about alligators in Florida. I am not from Florida but I have been to Disney. I would NEVER get into any water at the resort. I wouldn't even swim at night in Florida at the pool due to seeing so many news stories about gators in people's pools. I have even seen one where a very young gator was in someone's toilet! There are many stories annually about alligators in Florida. I hardly even watch news and I have seen them broadcast on my local news and I live in Ohio.

Florida was very swampy and still is very swampy and it is known in the US that alligators live in Florida. They only live in certain states in the US and I think everyone should know they live in Florida and Louisiana specifically because of US media. I lived in GA for a while and I know that they are also in Georgia but I didn't know that until I moved there because you rarely see Georgia alligators on the news like you do for Florida and Louisiana.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 AM

583 posts, read 709,358 times
Ok I keep hearing about this alligator situation. First and foremost I've read many versions of what happened. NOBODY knows the truth. All we can do is speculate off what the media shares and truthfully I believe the media about as much as a lot of things I read on the Internet. Our ridicule and judgement probably can't compare to the pain they're currently feeling & their own personal judgement. So I want to send out prayers and condolences to the family during this difficult time. No doubt.

Now that that is out of the way, let's get down to business. We know the media is known for fluffing stories or certain parts of a story (It is their job. I get it). So let's say for a minute that what the sources are saying is true about what transpired, my thoughts about it is simple. It's not hard to follow directions. I know the kid wasn't old enough to read (bless his soul) but the parent is, however, and it specifically said do not go near there and no guests, no swimming, all that good stuff. So if for some reason that family dares try and file a lawsuit, they will surely lose. People have developed this mentality these days of "Oh nothing will happen to me or mine" instead of just simply following directions. I see why my mother was so adamant about me following directions when I was growing up. That's all I have to say about it. Peace.

Last edited by CinnaBunney; 06-16-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 08:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
People of all ages are attacked by alligators.

List of people killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
28 deaths over a span of 43 years.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,429,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Now that that is out of the way, let's get down to business. We know the media is known for fluffing stories or certain parts of a story (It is their job. I get it). So let's say for a minute that what the sources are saying is true about what transpired, my thoughts about it is simple. It's not hard to follow directions. I know the kid wasn't old enough to read (bless his soul) but the parent is, however, and it specifically said do not go near there and no guests, no swimming, all that good stuff. So if for some reason that family dares try and file a lawsuit, they will surely lose. People have developed this mentality these days of "Oh nothing will happen to me or mine" instead of just simply following directions. I see why my mother was so adamant about me following directions when I was growing up. That's all I have to say about it. Peace.
They were not swimming, they were not in the water. They were near the water edge when then alligator lunged at them. This a groomed beach in front of the Disney hotel and guests are encouraged to use the beach - Disney puts put beach chairs, has fire pits, and has movie nights on the beach.

See images:
http://kellysluckyyou.com/wp-content...each-at-GF.jpg

https://sheila0gh.files.wordpress.co...6/imgp9762.jpg

http://www.couponingtodisney.com/wp-...-the-beach.jpg

Old 06-16-2016, 08:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Ok I keep hearing about this alligator situation. First and foremost I've read many versions of what happened. NOBODY knows the truth. All we can do is speculate off what the media shares and truthfully I believe the media about as much as a lot of things I read on the Internet. Our ridicule and judgement probably can't compare to the pain they're currently feeling & their own personal judgement. So I want to send out prayers and condolences to the family during this difficult time. No doubt.

Right. Except there weren't signs stating what you're saying they did. The sign said, "No swimming". That's not the same as the resort up the road that has signs saying, "Keep out of water. Danger! Alligators."

Wading in the water isn't swimming, people. There are numerous reasons places don't want people swimming, and the only time I've seen places that didn't want you in the water at all, there were signs posted that read something like, "Stay out of the water. Wading and swimming prohibited."

Nobody does it like they do, but in this instance, it's not the parents who were remiss, it was Disney.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,166,343 times
This is a terrible tragedy. The loss of a little one is always heartbreaking, but this child's death must especially so for the parents, because of the pain and fear their child experienced in his last moments.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM

58,720 posts, read 27,056,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Really sad, but I also hope the family sues the butt off Disney. You go to a theme park and pay as much money as people do today, and your 2 year old is killed by one of the attractions?
", but I also hope the family sues the butt off Disney."

There are signs posted "NO SWIMMING".

The parents are to blame, NOT Disney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies