Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 06:43 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Alligators were there long before people were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Is this always the solution for you? Sue for everything? Alligators are everywhere in the south.
Everyone with a brain knows this. Ignorance of that fact can be fatal. No one is to blame for this terrible incident, except mother nature.
In all likelihood, there will be no lawsuit. Disney will write a huge check to the family and make significant infrastructure changes to the resort to minimize the risk that this will ever happen again. An extraordinarily low number of cases against Disney actually go to court. They'll fight if it's worth the effort, but it's usually not. In this case, I expect that the family will be well taken care of and we'll hear very little about it once the initial uproar ends.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:48 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
"Yeah but John when the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down the pirates don't eat the tourists." ~Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park.
That was tacky and insensitive. And made me laugh!

Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In all likelihood, there will be no lawsuit. Disney will write a huge check to the family and make significant infrastructure changes to the resort to minimize the risk that this will ever happen again. An extraordinarily low number of cases against Disney actually go to court. They'll fight if it's worth the effort, but it's usually not. In this case, I expect that the family will be well taken care of and we'll hear very little about it once the initial uproar ends.
Correct. But to not blame the father/family at all is ridiculous. 9:30pm, it is dark and he lets a 2 year old wade in a lagoon? Was the father drinking? Do we know? Heck, even mosquitos would be heavier at that hour. Lack of common sense for sure.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Disney's liability insurers will settle with the family.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:01 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
OK call me stupid - but I had no idea that you would find gators on Disney property. We live in NY - I'm learning more about the South now only because my son moved there but I honestly would not have believed or thought they had gators there except maybe in the Animal Kingdom portion and then those would be contained like at the marine parks and zoos.

You have man made lakes that I didn't realize they could get into. I've had many friends and relatives that go to Disney every year - no one has ever mentioned anything about alligators on the property - so I was clueless.

I do feel for the parents and do not hold them responsible. Yes it was probably after the little boy's bedtime - but we're on vacation to Disney - something they may have done only once in their lifetime.

To know this is the 1st time this has happened tho in all these years - does confirm how on top of the problem Disney has been. It doesn't excuse what happened and I do believe there should be signs.
With the image that Disney presents, a paradise.. you would think it would make sure that no alligator could get in.. they could have built some kind of barriers to keep them from going in the water. It is a man made lake , build some kind of steel gate in the water that kept them from going to the water.

Or the much cheaper way out.. a sign.. alligators

Old 06-16-2016, 07:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Correct. But to not blame the father/family at all is ridiculous. 9:30pm, it is dark and he lets a 2 year old wade in a lagoon? Was the father drinking? Do we know? Heck, even mosquitos would be heavier at that hour. Lack of common sense for sure.
The dad had to have been standing with the boy to have been able to grab him and fight the alligator for him. Alligators are fast, it could easily have snatched the child while he was holding his father's hand. If the dad had been more than a step or two away, the alligator would likely have had the kid back the water before the dad could get to them.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
With the image that Disney presents, a paradise.. you would think it would make sure that no alligator could get in.. they could have built some kind of barriers to keep them from going in the water. It is a man made lake , build some kind of steel gate in the water that kept them from going to the water.

Or the much cheaper way out.. a sign.. alligators
There are no swimming signs. Should they have warned about alligators? They probably will now, but I dunno, I have this crazy opinion that you should follow directions when not on your own property.

There is no real way to keep alligators out. They end up in pools, ditches, and back yards all over Florida. The man made lake at Disney is connected to a larger freshwater lake, and even if not, it's not like Disney is 100% fenced off all around. Disney goes through and tries to clear all alligators about 4 feet every so often, but they're often elusive and shy.

When I was in high school, I spent a summer at UMiami. Right there on campus, there were alligators in some of the clearly man-made water features. The school would clear them out as often as possible - and they were generally small - but they were there.

Do people not do an ounce of research before they visit out of town? I would have thought alligators in Florida was common knowledge.

And that's not to say that I completely blame the family. This was a freak accident - plenty of people have certainly swam in the lagoon with no ill effects, but a toddler at dusk screamed, "Dinner time!" to an alligator.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:13 AM

The parks have a dangerous animal response team (that's not what it's called, but I can't remember the real name) and monitor for alligators, venomous snakes, etc., removing the creatures when identified. A family member worked for Disney for more than a decade. They take great pains to create a safe environment for guests, but it's not fool-proof.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Disney's liability insurers will settle with the family.
I believe Disney is self-insured against general liability claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies