Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I can't help enjoying the well earned ridicule that this poor guy is getting.

(I wonder if he's afraid of thunder.)
he is probably afraid of firecrackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 09:21 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I know you are a proud dad as you should be . I'm glad you're teaching them self defense though. Honestly, that is more important, in my opinion. You can't carry a gun everywhere.
Honestly, get him out of karate immediately, or more aptly switch to a true self defense form. Mma, krav maga, even combat sambo or good ole fashion 'wrasslin'. Hand to hand self defense, all are much more apt for a better outcome.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Honestly, get him out of karate immediately, or more aptly switch to a true self defense form. Mma, krav maga, even combat sambo or good ole fashion 'wrasslin'. Hand to hand self defense, all are much more apt for a better outcome.
Nothing wrong with Karate. Sounds like martial arts snobbery and nothing else.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Nothing wrong with Karate. Sounds like martial arts snobbery and nothing else.
It's a great sport. Beautiful to watch. But not the most practical for self defense.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:32 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Everyone seems to be so macho here with guns lol. I don't care if you have guns or not. But what would you do in a situation where your life may be threatened and you don't have your gun..just curious

First of all, would not be easily caught without one. If I was, I would point to you, and yell "She has a Gun! Then escape quickly and see how it worked out for you later.

Anti Gun folks need to realize that most gun owners who carry guns are not doing so to protect you. They are going to protect themselves first. In a "Shooter" situation, after the first few shots you just hear, its not going to be clear who the shooter is, or why shots where fired, since another civilian may also have a gun, and brought it out when he heard the shots, so you can't just shoot the first person you see with a gun. I would only use a gun if he pointed his gun toward me, or I actually saw him shoot one or two unarmed people for no reason, and I was not in a position where I could escape safely. Then I would shoot him or her, whichever it may be, lay down the gun away from me, and keep my hands in plain sight while waiting for the Police. .

Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It's a great sport. Beautiful to watch. But not the most practical for self defense.
I'd rather be a green belt in Karate than an expert in knitting if someone wants to kick my butt.

Of course a green belt with knitting needles.... different story.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I'd rather be a green belt in Karate than an expert in knitting if someone wants to kick my butt.

Of course a green belt with knitting needles.... different story.
Everyone's got an opinion. My opinion comes from my experience.

But you are correct: training in anything is better than training in nothing.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Everyone's got an opinion. My opinion comes from my experience.

But you are correct: training in anything is better than training in nothing.
I didn't say Karate was the best. I'm not sure what the best martial art may be.

I'm not sure if you can really say what the best is. I've seen some TKD guys get laid out as fast as your MMA guy. The Tapout shirt don't help.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Everyone seems to be so macho here with guns lol. I don't care if you have guns or not. But what would you do in a situation where your life may be threatened and you don't have your gun..just curious

Put my head far between my legs and kiss my ass good bye!
But then again, my life could be threatened by a falling tree.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Comme ce, comme ca.

Growing up in judo, rather saw karate as more, well, "to the point". Of course, I probably grew up in a different martial arts era. Ie, we were taught and used sleeper chokes.

One thing I have noticed was that with a background of years of judo, it made it so very easy for this or that technique, taught by the Marines or the FBI, to be taken in and to become part of my skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies