Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times

Advertisements

I never said I was against anyone owning a gun.. just to point out.. BUT ..I do believe we need to have tighter restrictions. That's all.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Tighter restrictions to what end? What ill would that cure? Seems like bigger bureaucracy with no benefit.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I'm sure many of the parents who thought they hid their gun well and took all the neccesary precautions felt secure that their child would never find their gun..

I remember being a child.. heck..I look at my 2 year old and he , if he wants someting.. man he figures out how to get it.. pikcing a lock for a curious teenager wanting to show off to his friends, etc. will find a way. This doesn't make them a bad kid, a disrespectful kid .. they are just kids..

I, for one, could never live with myself is i had a gun that my kid or his friends got a hold of and did some damage.

And.. when someone is committed to doing something..either harm to themselves or someone else.. a simple lock wouldn't stand in the way of them accessing it.

To me having a gun is just not worth the risk. I can lock my doors, have an alarm .. many other ways to deter criminals and in the end.. if they get in.. they can take what they want and leave.. most likely they only want the valuables and not any of me or my family.

Just My opinion.
I am not sure if you have seen the newer gun safes, they are not easy to pick. some of them require a pass code, and a key. Some require even finger prints to be able to unlock. They are not flimsy in anyway. My 2 year old can open just about anything she can get her hands on, but she cannot get into a STEEL safe. and hiding it is not gonna cut it, it MUST be locked in an approved STEEL GUN SAFE. period

another point is to never lock the gun up loaded, the ammo should be kept in another location in its own safe. Never keep the two together.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:01 PM

29 posts, read 121,006 times
Gun ownership, shooting for pleasure, shooting for self-defense, having a gun for protection, hunting, or for ANY reason, is all about RESPONSIBILITY. I work in the gun trade. I sell guns in a gun shop; I am also responsible for processing the federal forms that are a requirement for purchasing a firearm. I held my own Federal Firearms License in the past, so I am well-versed on the laws in my state and the federal laws. I spent 24 years in the military, half of that in military police; I also had some civilian police time and also a bodyguard. I only bring this up as a matter of experience. I have been carrying a gun(s) for 40 years. That said, a gun is a machine, a mechanical device. It will not shoot itself. Those folks that are admitidly afraid of guns, how did you feel about a car before you learned to drive? Were you afraid the first time you got behind the wheel? Sure, you were. But, now, after 5, 10, 20, or more years of driving, and teaching your kid(s) how to drive, you have absolutely no problem gettinng in, starting the vehicle, and driving away. That vehicle is a machine, also, incapable of making a decision on its own. You had to learn that different fuels work differently in different cars, just like bullets. You learned that routine maintenance is necessary, just like a gun. It comes down to training for both. My four children, 2 boys, two girls, were raised around guns; I never had to lock them up. They were taught that a gun was a tool of Dad's business. A mechanic has wrenches, a carpenter has a saw and a hammer, Dad has a badge, cuffs, and a gun. I showed them what a gun/bullet does by shooting gallon milk jugs full of water so that they would see the effects of a bullet striking something the approximate size/mass/weight of a human head; I also explained that there was no calling the bullet back and that a gun should not be pointed at anything the shooter did not wish to destroy. They're all adults now, with families of their own. They all own guns and some of my grandchildren are old enough to want to learn gun handling and shooting. Their parents are teaching them safety first and proper gun handling as they learned it years ago. A large number of new guns today have locks built into them; they come with keys. It is a frame lock so the semi-autos cannot be cocked, the trigger cannot be pulled, the slide will not function-the only function that works is the magazine release. The revolvers will not function, either-the cylinder can be opened but that's all. Again, it's all about personal responsibility and owning a gun has a lot of that. The gun laws don't address that, only the contol of ownership. That was tried in New Orleans after Katrina-police went door to door, confiscating guns. It was denied by the mayor until the NRA found over 1000 confiscated guns with no receipts issed and the city did not know who they belonged to! Cops from California that volunteered their assistance during that time were enforcing California law in Louisiana, for the most part. Law suits in progress. Criminals don't buy guns-they steal them from people that bought them legally. Training, responsibility, practice, safety, knowledge, are the keys, not more laws.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Same here. I'm not rebutting anything you are saying, rather agreeing with it and expanding on what I said.

I didn't mean what I said in an internet tough guy kind of way. Taking another person's life is nothing to take lightly. Killing someone--even the deserving--can seriously traumatize the shooter and will mostly likely leave his/her family devastated.

However, if there is someone in my house and it is clear that I am home, I can only assume they are willing to kill me if I stumble across them or maybe they intend to kill me anyways. It's one thing to break into a house and steal a television while nobody is home, it is another to break into a person's house while they are in the building.
Exactly, you have to assume that if a person breaks into my house, they mean to do me harm, my alarm system is prominently displayed with a sign out front, the sensors can been seen at all the windows and like I said, my house is NEVER dark.

A man might be able to do some kind of hand to hand defense if they were home during a break in, I am simply not capable of that.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Exactly, you have to assume that if a person breaks into my house, they mean to do me harm, my alarm system is prominently displayed with a sign out front, the sensors can been seen at all the windows and like I said, my house is NEVER dark.

A man might be able to do some kind of hand to hand defense if they were home during a break in, I am simply not capable of that.
Excellent points.
I have a good many years of Karate experience. 27 years to be exact. I have my share of confidence in my skills. If an intruder breaks into my house I will place my trust in the hands of my 45 acp. I'll hand to hand him if he can get past my weapon. You are 100% correct someone breaking into your house is dangerous and one can only assume that they mean to do you harm. I doubt that there are many friendly burglers.
High I am Sam don't mind me I'll be through in a moment. Would you be so kind as to point me to your valubles and or any cash you have laying about. While I am here would you like some tea whle you wait for me to leave?
No more likely as you beg not to be hurt they will rape the women in house age does not matter.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:01 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
=TristansMommy;2853598]I'm if they get in.. they can take what they want and leave.. most likely they only want the valuables and not any of me or my family.
Try explaining that to the man in CT whose wife and daughter were raped, murdered then set on fire by two ex-convicts.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Try explaining that to the man in CT whose wife and daughter were raped, murdered then set on fire by two ex-convicts.
Or:

2006 Richmond spree murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No more likely as you beg not to be hurt they will rape the women in house age does not matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
From what I have learned from the police, peeping and then breaking into a person's home is an entry level crime, these same people often move onto rape and assault. I am not going to take that chance. Come in my house uninvited and there will be very sad consequences for you.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
People often don't think about it but sometimes people do ring the doorbell when they intend a home invasion because some people are stupid enough to open the door. I don't care if your bleeding on my front porch, I will call 911 for you but I'm not opening my door if I don't know you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies