Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:22 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,293 times

Advertisements

I don't see the need for a gun, to be honest.
I have nothing to defend myself against. Haha.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
I have it firsthand from a gentleman of my acquaintance at the local tavern; who, during the course of discussing the Second Amendment, stated emphatically (pounding his fist on the bar) that he had a "God-given" right to have a gun. Prudence dictated that I not ask what portion of the scriptures he relied on for such "high" authority, for I could tell from his demeanor at the time that he would brook no argument on the subject. As for myself, I think I would prefer to trust my rights to the law courts than wait for God to act on the issue.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
How are a persons right to keep and bear arms being restricted? I can keep and bear arms. Including my AK-47.
Not an AK that is fully automatic. Can't have a cannon, bomb, machine gun, sawed off shotgun, etc.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
First off, you can have a cannon, machine gun as long as you have a permit.

But Ak's come in 2 models. One is semi auto and fully legal. the other one will go full auto.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
First off, you can have a cannon, machine gun as long as you have a permit.

But Ak's come in 2 models. One is semi auto and fully legal. the other one will go full auto.
Good luck getting that permit for a cannon or bomb, but note that you've acknowledged the government does restrict your right to "bear arms." Again the fully automatic AK is illegal and until 2004 the semi-automatic version was restricted. Just your government placing reasonable restrictions on your rights. BTW try carrying that AK into a federal building and experience that your rights have limits.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
When the Supreme Court renders its decision in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), there will be a lot of disillusioned gun owners.
I guess you haven't listened to any of the Court discussions, have you? The court seems to be leaning heavily on the right of The People to keep and bear arms. Anti-gunners will be the ones disillusioned.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Good luck getting that permit for a cannon or bomb, but note that you've acknowledged the government does restrict your right to "bear arms." Again the fully automatic AK is illegal and until 2004 the semi-automatic version was restricted. Just your government placing reasonable restrictions on your rights. BTW try carrying that AK into a federal building and experience that your rights have limits.
Semi auto was never restricted. I bought my in the early 90's and my brother bought his in the late 90's.

I still say I'm not restricted. I can have them, just gotta turn in the paperwork. I can own one, I can use one, and I can walk down town with it. Unrestricted. There are restriction on some weapons, sure. But no restrictions on what I need to defend my family.

As far as not going into a federal building, that is not restricted. Can't go in a court, a jail, a school.

But I've always been able to get the weapon I need.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Semi auto was never restricted. I bought my in the early 90's and my brother bought his in the late 90's.

I still say I'm not restricted. I can have them, just gotta turn in the paperwork. I can own one, I can use one, and I can walk down town with it. Unrestricted. There are restriction on some weapons, sure. But no restrictions on what I need to defend my family.

As far as not going into a federal building, that is not restricted. Can't go in a court, a jail, a school.

But I've always been able to get the weapon I need.
You're misinformed and should read the provisions of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, which sunsetted in 2004.

BTW I'm able to get all the weapons I need as well. Not everyone can get all the weapons they want. My teenager sometimes mistakes the difference between need and want too.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
I don't see the need for a gun, to be honest.
I have nothing to defend myself against. Haha.
Most of my guns are designed and used to stop very aggresive deer and elk that want badly to get into my freezer and can't find it.

Occassionally I find a rabid skunk that wants to commit suicide but he can't hold a gun.

I joke about it but for several years, if it wasn't for getting a deer, elk, antelope and other game, we'd have starved to death. And I was raised on a farm.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
http://www.eaglemountainflag.com/images/come-and-take-it.jpg (broken link)

Yee Haw boys. The day the fascists come after my weapons is the day I'm going down in a fire fight in the name of liberty. Our founding fathers would already been up at arms against the federal slave driving bureaucracy we call our government. Excessive taxation and intrusions on our constitutional liberty won't be tolerated. The New Sons of Liberty are outraged that the supreme court is even debating such a common sense issue. Texans and patriots that admire our founding fathers must unite now to restore limited government by and for the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies