Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:27 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately crime will never stop but every criminal that gets shot by a law abiding citizen will not commit any more crimes. The more law abiding citizens out there, the better chance there is of a criminal getting what he deserves. This has been repeatedly proven by the fact that every state that enacts Shall Issue CCW laws has seen a dramatic decrease in violent crime. As the amount of lawful gun owners goes up Nationwide, the crime rate drops.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I wonder if criminals find logic a viable argument or would they only use emotion (like fear) as their guidance?
Then again, crime (being greedy and ambitious) does pay.
Fortune favours the bold and whatnot.

So the question is would crime come to a stop if everyone has a gun?
Or why do some people feel that they are unsafe when they do not possess a gun?
The OP made a the point, a valid one IMO, and that is - a person has the right to protect themselves. To provide for their own self protection. A firearm is one of those ways. And, if someone enters my home, I have the legal, and moral right, to protect myself, and my family from being harmed up to, and including the use of deadly force if necessary.

If someone does not want to have a firearm for protection, that is their decision and I would not ever criticize their own decision. I would hope that the same courtesy would be given to those who DO choose to have a firearm for protection.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
So the question is would crime come to a stop if everyone has a gun?
Or why do some people feel that they are unsafe when they do not possess a gun?
My own answer to the first question is no, crime wouldn't come to a halt. As long as there are people, there will be those who, for profit, power, and just the sheer hell of it, violate the rights of their fellow human beings.

However, law-abiding citizens who possess the means to defend themselves will have a fighting chance if they have a gun and know how to use it.

To the second question you ask? As to why some people might not feel safe when they don't have a gun?

I will put it this way. The answer comes not as a philosophical contemplation, but by way of in concrete reality. Ask that question again after you (in the third person sense) have been confronted by some scumbag who wants to brutally attack and destroy everything you love and hold dear. You..your daughter...your wife..your property, etc.

At THAT point in time? Well....?

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-21-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Everybody has the right to protect themselves and their families. A gun, is simply a tool. Just like words, a stick, a knife, an auto, a shovel, a rake or whatever is needed. The tool used depends on how far it escalates before you can stop it.

Nobody, takes their gun and just shoots. First they may try words, or actions. But if it escalates that far, then the ultimate tool will be used in my house.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by ElkHunter
Quote:
Everybody has the right to protect themselves and their families. A gun, is simply a tool. Just like words, a stick, a knife, an auto, a shovel, a rake or whatever is needed. The tool used depends on how far it escalates before you can stop it.
The difference between words and guns is that words do not kill as easily as guns do. Killing with guns is just a matter of pointing and clicking........I mean pulling a trigger.
Then again, the idea to kill ‘criminals’ before they kill you is also easily made.
All in the name of self-defence.
So how do you separate the (serial) killers from people who only killed in self-defence?
A serial killer could put a ‘loved one’ or even himself purposely in danger to fake a reason for killing in self-defence.

Quote:
Nobody, takes their gun and just shoots.
Some people would (serial killers) if they knew they would get away with it.
I guess that if you wouldn’t get jailed for killing people serial killers would be like any other law abiding citizen.

Originally Posted by TexasReb
Quote:
I will put it this way. The answer comes not as a philosophical contemplation, but by way of in concrete reality. Ask that question again after you (in the third person sense) have been confronted by some scumbag who wants to brutally attack and destroy everything you love and hold dear. You..your daughter...your wife..your property, etc.
This would justify any crime. I mean if someone raped my wife, why should I not rape someone the rapist loves dearly?
All in the name of justice; do unto them what is done to you, an eye for an eye and all that.

When guns comes into play 'the law of the strongest' easily becomes the norm and the idea of justice and fair-play might easily become forgotten.
If the strongest does not allow himself to be ruled by justice and fair-play, who will make him?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I shoot them all the time, I just didn't buy them to shoot anybody, I shoot targets and I hunt.
Try these instead:

http://www.biggameproshop.com/traditional-archery.htm

It'd work just as well....

Old 04-22-2008, 05:55 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Try these instead:

http://www.biggameproshop.com/traditional-archery.htm

It'd work just as well....
I do have a few Bows, longbow and compound.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roaddog
Quote:
I shoot them all the time, I just didn't buy them to shoot anybody, I shoot targets and I hunt.
The difference between shooting at targets and hunting is that shooting at targets is just an exercise.
The reason why people hunt is important; do people hunt for food or just 'recreation'. When you hunt in order to eat you have to kill, but if you only hunt as a leisure sport you could buy a video game (virtual hunting), since taking a life is not essential.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog
The difference between shooting at targets and hunting is that shooting at targets is just an exercise.
The reason why people hunt is important; do people hunt for food or just 'recreation'. When you hunt in order to eat you have to kill, but if you only hunt as a leisure sport you could buy a video game (virtual hunting), since taking a life is not essential.
Because we've upset the balance of nature by killing off most of the top predators, hunting is a necessary avocation in our society now. In many places deer populations are exploding and with the deer come several nasty diseases. We need to keep these populations in check. I have no quarrel with hunters, though quite a few of them have some strange psychological quirks.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by rlchurch
Quote:
Because we've upset the balance of nature by killing off most of the top predators, hunting is a necessary avocation in our society now. In many places deer populations are exploding and with the deer come several nasty diseases.
Following this line of reasoning we should begin with culling the top predators:
us humans.
If we don't, we become Earth's cancer.

Then again, 2 wrongs don't make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies