Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Look under my screen name. see something there? I am an Architectural designer, and am very familar with architecutral items that may increase security. The windows you speak of are VERY EXPENSIVE, you cannot think that everyone in the industry will use them. And most ARC or ACC's would not approve of them in most reviews. Not only that, but they pose a safety issue when it comes to fires in a house, you MUST meet egress requirements in order to get permits to build a house in ANY jurisdiction, which states that a window must be of a size that will allow a fireman with a full pack and gear to enter the house. The window MUST be accessable to firefighters.

your starting to tread in an area I know like the back of my hand, I would steer clear if you know whats good for you
The homeowner can do things that are illegal for builders to do.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The homeowner can do things that are illegal for builders to do.
no they cant, you can get fined severely for not following all jurisdiction rules and regulations and not following the IRC or UBC codes in the jurisdiction. these are things you can actually get jail time for not following. Egress requirements are something you DO NOT MESS WITH. These were put in place not only for the safety of the homeowners, but for the safety of the emergency crews. If you would like, I can post the exact location in the IRC and the UBC of these egress codes. It will have to wait until Monday though, my Code books are in my office.

Now back to the topic at hand.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:29 PM

What you are ALLOWED to do, and what you actually DO are not always the same thing.

People do things that they're not supposed to all the time and get away with it...because it is not generally enforced.

Yes, if something IS enforced they can be punished. Take speeding. UNLESS a person is CAUGHT, aren't they able to get away with doing it?

The law is a farce.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
What you are ALLOWED to do, and what you actually DO are not always the same thing.

People do things that they're not supposed to all the time and get away with it...because it is not generally enforced.

Yes, if something IS enforced they can be punished. Take speeding. UNLESS a person is CAUGHT, aren't they able to get away with doing it?

The law is a farce.
so in order to protect myself, I should give up guns, and break code and risk 1 year in jail and $100,000's in fines? Um... no, ill take the gun, which is fully legal to own.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
so in order to protect myself, I should give up guns, and break code and risk 1 year in jail and $100,000's in fines? Um... no, ill take the gun, which is fully legal to own.
I've got it at my place...and I don't even own the place.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I've got it at my place...and I don't even own the place.
well, god forbid if a fire breaks out and you can only get out through a window.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
well, god forbid if a fire breaks out and you can only get out through a window.
WERE a fire to break out, I'd take care of it. Like I said, I can take care of myself, I don't need others' help.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Give it up - the OP is super human. He is better than any police officer, and fire fighter - heck, he is better than any other human on the face of the earth!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by oz in SC
Quote:
Safety, yes.
Safety is only a feeling. You can feel safe, but that doesn't mean that you are safe.
Safety comes from the illusion that you are in complete control, but the thing is that you can only control yourself and not others.
People who continually feel unsafe are paranoid, but people who always feel safe are not right in the head either.

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
The law is a farce.
I disagree. The law isn't a farce, but the belief that everyone is always an upstanding law-abiding citizen is.
The law is not a tool to control people, it can only punish people for breaking the law.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Give it up - the OP is super human. He is better than any police officer, and fire fighter - heck, he is better than any other human on the face of the earth!
Did he ever shoot the gun out of a bad guys hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies