Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
You post things as facts - not opinion. That make your postings falsehoods.

If you want to post as opinion, preface your remarks with "IMO"
Right.
Every time you post your opinion it has an IMO in your post?
You always call me a liar instead of I believe that you are a liar.
You should listen more to the advice you give others.
Lead by example instead of trying to force me off this board because you don't like the things I'm saying.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Every time you post your opinion it has an IMO in your post?
For the most part? Yes, I do preface with IMO or IMHO or IMLO

Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
That's one story in the news -- that the pilot carelessly discharged the weapon while stowing it. Another is that the pilot was showing off for his cockpit companions. Probably a third is that the dog who ate the homework did it. Funny how gun nuts blame "the government" instead of taking responsibility for their actions. That's why we restrict gun ownership here. Too many irresponsible people get off on owning a gun.

actually, I have yet to see ONE article that says he was showing the gun off, the storys I had read from ABC, NBC, CNN, Fox, and various other news agencys while trying to find one that says he was showing off the gun said absolutly nothing of the sort.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Noahma I believe in doing the right thing and not in what the majority believes is the right thing.
The fact that gun owners can't ‘handle’ critique or are afraid that they loose their right to carry a gun proves that they realise that rights are not written in stone.

So is a government who takes away the way the right to carry arms for private individuals a tyranny? Or are they just being democratic when your high courts rule that the spirit of the constitution was only to arm militias and not individuals?

BTW you could argue that a nuclear WMD provides the best kind of personal defence or is the best weapon to remove a tyrannical government.
Does this then mean that individuals should have the right to arm themselves with WMDs?
you know what Hitler did when he took power, or what musolini did when he was in power? He took the guns, yes thats right. The first thing a government that is tyrannical will do is unarm the citizens, an unarmed people are at the will of the armed, aka a government.

your first statement makes no sense. A democracy works on the will of the majority, if the majority seeks to remove weapons, then well... I will deal with that when it comes. But as it sits now, the majority in our country still has faith in our constitution as it is written. We fight so hard because a MINORITY, of people are trying to usurp the will of a MAJORITY.

a WMD is not a "defensive" weapon, there is absolutly no way to use it as a defensive weapon. they destroy way to many things to be even concidered a devensive type weapon. Your logic is well... out there, and you have tried to use this as a reason to remove arms from law abiding citizens in previous posts, and If my memory serves me, you did not get anywhere with that.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
you have no morals dont you, you gain an ignore out of me now not only for this comment, but many other comments.
Hey...that gun kept him alive, and it's obviously important to him...

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
US vs. Miller
this ruling was made in the 50's concerning sawed off shotguns which in that time were not part of normal military equipment. IF you read the end of your quote, it does state what a milita is, and what a milita should have, which is their own arms. and is made up of citizens.

If you look at some of our more modern military weapons, we do have shotguns with shorter barrels, and no stocks in use now. If this case were to be retried, I belive that the decision would be reversed based on modern military equipment in use in our army.

By using the logic of this court case, it should be much easyer than it is now to get ahold of a Fully automatic M-16, since it is used in our modern military and therefore would fit with what a "well regulated milita" would need to come to the defense of our country.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:55 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
actually, I have yet to see ONE article that says he was showing the gun off, the storys I had read from ABC, NBC, CNN, Fox, and various other news agencys while trying to find one that says he was showing off the gun said absolutly nothing of the sort.
You see the report that he's being fired?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You see the report that he's being fired?
all of the articles I had read said he was being suspended without pay pending further investigation. I will post links to the article when I get home from work this eve.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:19 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Quote:
you know what Hitler did when he took power, or what musolini did when he was in power? He took the guns, yes thats right. The first thing a government that is tyrannical will do is unarm the citizens, an unarmed people are at the will of the armed, aka a government.
Here's a few facts that you anti's might know and will probably ignore as you do any facts presented to you.

1. In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to
1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves,
were rounded up and exterminated.
2. In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5
million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up
and exterminated.
3. Germany established gun control in 1938, and from 1939 to 1945, a
total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend
themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
4. China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20
million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were
rounded up and exterminated
5. Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981,
100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.
6. Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.
7. Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one
million people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.
8. Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century
because of gun control: 56 million.

Total ban on firearms in America? I don't think so!!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Who wants a total ban on firearms in the United States? Total Strawman is what we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies