Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

We had a man arrested for public discharge of a firearm here in Bradenton. He fired, into the air, ostensibly to break up a fight. He was still arrested.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm sorry you feel this way.

I think it's OK for law enforcement to carry guns, but ordinary citizens - no, sorry. There are way too many crazies out there for me to be okay with that.
What about those crazies driving a car, or flying a plane. How about working with children, working with the elderly, working in nursing homes, ect ect ect. There are sick twisted people everywhere....what more rights should we lose in the name of creating a perfiect world. Why not have everyone dna tested and microchips inserted, we could have camera's video taping in every public place, ect ect ect.

Law enforcement is an extension of the govenment, and its ability to control the people. And I generally trust the police, they are people too and they have a rules they have to abide by and we have rights. But we as a nation of individuals have to protect those rights under the consitiution.

A look throughout history will show you the grave circumstances in which governments disarmed the public and the reasons why.

"The journey from good to evil is often made in small steps"

Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
What about those crazies driving a car, or flying a plane. How about working with children, working with the elderly, working in nursing homes, ect ect ect. There are sick twisted people everywhere....what more rights should we lose in the name of creating a perfiect world. Why not have everyone dna tested and microchips inserted, we could have camera's video taping in every public place, ect ect ect.

Law enforcement is an extension of the govenment, and its ability to control the people. And I generally trust the police, they are people too and they have a rules they have to abide by and we have rights. But we as a nation of individuals have to protect those rights under the consitiution.

A look throughout history will show you the grave circumstances in which governments disarmed the public and the reasons why.

"The journey from good to evil is often made in small steps"
Background checks.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
We had a man arrested for public discharge of a firearm here in Bradenton. He fired, into the air, ostensibly to break up a fight. He was still arrested.
as he should be, how does this show that we should not have guns?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Background checks.
background checks are already required under a federal law.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
wow, thats a cut and paste lol. I have quite a few friends that have had CCW permits for YEARS. They have not ever had to pull their weapons, nor have they harmed anyone with the firearms they own.

Please present some evidence to back up your claim. I see that violent crime is usually committed by criminals, not law abiding citizens with firearms. I have a link several pages back from our government to support the statement.

And I loved the response to my post about the gun laws in several New England states.

here is a link to some of the Vermont gun laws. lol they require nothing but what is federally mandated to own, possess, and carry
What are the Gun Laws in Vermont?

we can also look back into the English gun ban, which is the "shining example" for how well all out gun bans work (yes sarcastic)
Reason Magazine - Gun Control's Twisted Outcome
this article points out that there is an increasing amount of gun violence in Britain, even though there is very very tight gun laws.
Sixteen thousand gun suicides per year. Peer reviewed professional article previously posted in this thread that shows people are three times as likely to die in a home that has a loaded gun in it.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Sixteen thousand gun suicides per year. Peer reviewed professional article previously posted in this thread that shows people are three times as likely to die in a home that has a loaded gun in it.
if you look at that post, which has been torn to peices, it states that you are more likely IF THERE ARE DRUGS INVOLVED, OR THE PERSON IN THE HOUSE IS A CRIMINAL

the study was done by the FDA if I remember correctly.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:33 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if you look at that post, which has been torn to peices, it states that you are more likely IF THERE ARE DRUGS INVOLVED, OR THE PERSON IN THE HOUSE IS A CRIMINAL

the study was done by the FDA if I remember correctly.
Actually you don't remember correctly and it's clear you have difficulty reading scientific articles. The residual risk associated with just having the loaded gun was three time not having a loaded gun. The researchers identified and controlled for the existence of of drugs and a history of violence. If you're going to ask for proof perhaps a course in statistical analysis would enable you to keep up.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Quote:
I actually feel this is an intelligent and well-worded post. After reading it twice, I gave it some thought and couldn't agree more.

Also - those who use the excuse "guns don't kill people, people kill people" and "that's like blaming my pencil for a spelling error" are not comparing apples to apples. When was the last time a pencil was blamed for a mass killing? It's a helluva lot easier to pull a trigger and shoot someone dead than to use even a knife to kill somebody. What good are pistols, other than for police officers? Other than 'target practice' a pistol is a meaningless weapon.

As for those who claim that mass shootings wouldn't have happened if other people were carrying guns, well they're currently allowed to, but they weren't. So that's null and void. If everyone started carrying guns, small arguments would turn into shootouts, road rage would become more intense and think of the regulations that would have to be put on simple travel - flying, trains, buses, boats.

The Second Amendment should be done away with.
Your entire post shows you know nothing about this subject. These shootings occurred where guns are banned: so called "Gun Free Zones". If you carry in these areas even though you have a permit, you are breaking the law. Your drivel of small arguments and road rage turning into shootouts are totally false also. Every state (Over 40 now) that has enacted Shall Issue CCW laws has not seen any of this and have in fact seen violent crime drop. Do a little research before spouting off as if you know.

As for your last comment, that is just plain ignorance. Why not throw out the entire constitution? I'm sure someone, somewhere doesn't like something in every part of it.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel this way.

I think it's OK for law enforcement to carry guns, but ordinary citizens - no, sorry. There are way too many crazies out there for me to be okay with that.
LOL....this is pretty funny.

Sad as well.

Why dont you move to another nation more suited to your way of thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies