Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Noahma
Quote:
TKramer supposedly is some super hero, that is greater than the greatest martial artist in the world, can dodge bullets, and lives like a vampire in the dark.
So, TKramer claims not to need guns to defend himself?
I guess I must then be a superhero also, because I know that if firearms were outlawed US safety would only improve. Because then the people would collectively have to rely more on their wits instead of their guns.
People with guns live under the impression that they can handle any trouble individually, while unarmed people know they need to work together in order to survive.

The Japanese once had the same problem with swords that Americans now seem to have with guns. So it became the law that only samurai were allowed to carry swords.
The peasants then became proficient in 'alternative' weapons like normal farmer tools to still be able to protect themselves from robbers.
But I guess Americans aren't as inventive and / or lack the self-confidence those Japanese seem to have?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if you look back at the other posts by the person he is replying to, you would get what he is saying.

TKramer supposedly is some super hero, that is greater than the greatest martial artist in the world, can dodge bullets, and lives like a vampire in the dark.

Take a look its quite humorous
Actually, I can dodge bullets because it is a fact that many people cannot shoot properly. People have been known to miss from 10 FEET AWAY. However, even if you HIT someone, it is NOT going to knock them down...the Army had that problem with the Moro tribes in the Phillippines. They weren't able to knock down their targets, and their targets, armed with things OTHER than guns, were killing them.

I never said I was a superhero...that's YOUR delusion, not mine. I know that I'm a great deal STRONGER than many of the people out there in the world. Because I WORK...and it's a PHYSICAL job, the only kind of job that really matters. You spend your nights lifting boxes weighing up to 287 pounds, maybe YOU can get strong too!

I also DO know how to defend myself without a weapon, that's true enough--I've been in ENOUGH fights in my life to know how to do that--and I've never lost one yet.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
In the same reality that some guy thinks he will keep fighting after being shot. If you cant even have an adult discussion what makes you think your opinion should be taken seriously?
Well, you should look into that, particularly the Moro tribesmen. If it doesn't KILL you, you should be able to CONTINUE fighting...or are you THAT much of a wimp?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I do not really trust the claims of anyone that has not been in close combat when they are talking about the efficacy of various weapons.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
because I know that if firearms were outlawed US safety would only improve.
Here is the major flaw in your argument:

If firearms were to be outlawed in the United States and IF every law abiding citizen were to turn them in, who would be he only group(s) with firearms?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
If firearms were to be outlawed in the United States and IF every law abiding citizen were to turn them in, who would be he only group(s) with firearms?
The same like in Holland only the cops and probably some psychopaths.
The thing is that once you leave your front door to take a walk in the city the chances are that you will more likely be hit by a car than killed by a psychopath.

Unless of course you are so afraid that you actually believe that everyone is a psychopath. In that case you'll probably take a gun with you, even when it is against the law.
Nonetheless carrying an illegal gun is a crime.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
The same like in Holland only the cops and probably some psychopaths. The thing is that once you leave your front door to take a walk in the city the chances are that you will more likely be hit by a car than killed by a psychopath.
The ones who would have the firearms are a) law enforcement and b) the criminals.

Law Abiding citizens would be, under your concept, unable to defend themselves or their loved ones.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Law Abiding citizens would be, under your concept, unable to defend themselves or their loved ones.
You don't need a gun to defend yourself in a city, but I guess you can't accept this simple fact.
Besides, guns aren't the only form of self-defence.

You also completely ignore the fact that when you draw a gun on an armed rubber he’ll most likely fire his gun the moment he sees you drawing 1, instead of only robbing you.
But I guess Americans are just too proud and rather die than be called a wimp?
I mean, what is the point of carryin' a gun if you ain't willin' to use it, right?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
You don't need a gun to defend yourself in a city, but I guess you can't accept this simple fact.Besides, guns aren't the only form of self-defence.

You also completely ignore the fact that when you draw a gun on an armed rubber he’ll most likely fire his gun the moment he sees you drawing 1, instead of only robbing you. But I guess Americans are just too proud and rather die than be called a wimp, right?
Clearly, you live in your own little isolated world. You are not familiar with what actually happens in the big bad country known as the United States.

And, I can attest, from personal experience, that having a firearm, can save lives.

But, then again, it appears you are not concerned with individuals being able to defend themselves.

Here is something from the real world TD: A robber (not rubber as you wrote) breaks into a home - they are armed. Encounters members of the home who gave no resistence - NONE. Yet, the robber shot and killed them .... "Just because" .

The above is a true case - from about a week ago, in my area

Old 05-06-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Encounters members of the home who gave no resistence - NONE. Yet, the robber shot and killed them .... "Just because" .
I guess this is only common in America?
Luckily this type of behaviour is not common in Holland.
Not that we don't have psychopaths, but they just aren't as common as in the US.

I wonder what the cause would be of this difference between the US and the Netherlands. Could it be that the people in Holland are generally happier than the people in the US?
That people who are happy are less inclined to commit a crime?
Let alone a homicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies