Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:11 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
I guess that eliminates American law as the source of any right to keep and bear arms.
Who said America was the source? Everyone everywhere has a right to arms. They just get killed or jailed for excercising it in places that dont respect it. A right isn't given by anybody. You have the right to do anything you choose until it hurts or effects someone else. What a man has in his pocket effects no one. Once he hurts someone with it he has caused harm, broken real laws & thats different. Laws punishing people for what they do are just. Laws punishing people for something they might do is,,,,, well tyranny I guess.

Quote:
Show us where the lawmakers indicated that the words of the Constitution were to be understood according to commonly held beliefs.

Show us where the lawmakers said that.

Show us where the lawmakers indicated that the meaning of the Constitution was to be gathered from an in depth look at English history.

With these three I kinda lose confidence in your sincerety in this talk.

If you rever seriously look at the letters & documents from the time its very evident that they felt it was a right & an important one. They spoke English & were mostly of British descent. In drafting the constitution & other founding documents they relied alot on British common law.
Theres also extensive documented discussion over the wiseness of a Bill Of Rights.
As is now obvious to alot of people, words, no matter how clear & concise can be bent & convoluted by people who dont like what they say.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
I guess that eliminates American law as the source of any right to keep and bear arms.

Show us where the lawmakers indicated that the words of the Constitution were to be understood according to commonly held beliefs.

Show us where the lawmakers said that.

Show us where the lawmakers indicated that the meaning of the Constitution was to be gathered from an in depth look at English history.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

"We established however some, although not all its [self-government] important principles . The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;"
---Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. Memorial Edition 16:45, Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

"The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

this one I like

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive. "
---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. "
---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

there are many many more words from our founding fathers as to what they intended that our second amendment is.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:10 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Oh, I know, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt tho & just recognize him as the traitorous sailor he claims to be.
Did you serve? We know oz in SC didn't. Funny how the self appointed patriots are always the ones who didn't make the grade.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Did you serve? We know oz in SC didn't. Funny how the self appointed patriots are always the ones who didn't make the grade.
you do not have to serve in our armed forces to be a patriot. I tried desperately to join and serve, but I have two medical conditions that ruined that chance. I have shallow shoulder sockets, that alone did not disqualify me, I could have done office work, but the boggy was my diagnosis with multiple sclerosis, which is an automatic disqualification, or release from duty.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Your a joke. What grade? Any asshat can enlist & let someone else direct their every move. How that makes you above the same constitution you swear to defend is beyond me.

I'm very proud of those that serve my country & take their duty seriously. But I'm very ashamed of men in uniform that serve themselves. You fit very nicely in the second category.

You serve very well to illustrate the dangers of keeping profesional soldiers. You think because of your military experience you have some higher knowledge of what it means to be a patriot?

A Patriot doesnt need money to defend his country, a patriot does not support unAmerican law nor subjugate their countrymen. Theres many patriots in this thread,, you Sir aint one.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:31 PM

415 posts, read 610,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Everyone everywhere has a right to arms.
Show us where the lawmakers said that?

Quote:
With these three I kinda lose confidence in your sincerety in this talk.
Why? Don't you believe we should interpret the words of the Constitution according to the rules and principles the lawmakers probably meant for us to use? The historical record, of the making of the Constitution, contains an abundance of evidence that the lawmakers assumed that the common law rules of construction would be applied to the text of the Constitution to ascertain the will of the lawmakers at the time they made it.

Quote:
...look at the letters & documents from the time
Show us some evidence that the lawmakers meant for us to gather the meaning of the Constitution from the letters and documents from the time. I will then show you overwhelming evidence that the lawmakers wanted us to use the common law rules of construction.

Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.
What makes you think the Constitution should be interpreted according to a letter written by a dude who didn't even participate in the making of the Constitution?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
I own firearms - rifles and handguns.

I don't own a nuclear bomb - really have no desire for one.

I understand there are some that own 50 calibar weapons - even some shooting ranges being built for them -

The Constitution, and the courts, allow me to own / possess these weapons.

And, they will continue to do so -

Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
How cute is it that my daughter (from my 1st marriage, on "Dad's week" this week) called me today to see if we could go to the range shooting for Mother's Day tomorrow?

Or maybe I'm deranged and it's not really cute at all

Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
How cute is it that my daughter (from my 1st marriage, on "Dad's week" this week) called me today to see if we could go to the range shooting for Mother's Day tomorrow?

Or maybe I'm deranged and it's not really cute at all

I think its awesome. I'm taking my kids tomorrow so my wife can have peace for mothers day.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Show us where the lawmakers said that?

Why? Don't you believe we should interpret the words of the Constitution according to the rules and principles the lawmakers probably meant for us to use? The historical record, of the making of the Constitution, contains an abundance of evidence that the lawmakers assumed that the common law rules of construction would be applied to the text of the Constitution to ascertain the will of the lawmakers at the time they made it.

Show us some evidence that the lawmakers meant for us to gather the meaning of the Constitution from the letters and documents from the time. I will then show you overwhelming evidence that the lawmakers wanted us to use the common law rules of construction.

What makes you think the Constitution should be interpreted according to a letter written by a dude who didn't even participate in the making of the Constitution?
Ok, I see the game,
Let me try,

Show me evidence that I'm wrong.
Your the one trying to nullify our founding documents.

Show me where they put an expiration date on the constitution or anything in it.

Show me where it says the people have to prove a right enumerated in the constitution is suposed to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies