Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
You're deliberately missing the point; .
No, the OP did not miss your point at all. He simply is unable, unwilling, or incapable of acknowleging the truth of what you said.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,029,459 times
Quote:
You're deliberately missing the point; I would never blame the GUN. If someone really wants to die, they'll figure it out, no matter what you have or don't have in your home.
Actually that not true. Suicide is an impulsive act and rarely fatal, except when a gun is used. Nice rationalization though. You'll sleep better tonight if you don't confront the truth of the matter.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually that not true. Suicide is an impulsive act and rarely fatal, except when a gun is used. Nice rationalization though. You'll sleep better tonight if you don't confront the truth of the matter.
Let's see: Gassing - carbon monoxide or other, pills (the suicide of choice of celebrities), driving off of cliffs with a car, suicide by cop etc -

None of the above are used.

Your continuing to use as a reason not to have a firearm the remote possibility of suicide is moronic at best.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
So the lives of other people are not our concern...

Live & let die...

That is the definition of urban jungle...
No you render what aid that you can. If there's a fire call the fire department, a medical emergency call the ambulance, and a crime the police. Don't all you Rambo Americans start trying emergency appendectomies too.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No you render what aid that you can. If there's a fire call the fire department, a medical emergency call the ambulance, and a crime the police.
AND, if someone is being physcially harmed, and I have the ability to IMMEDIATELY offer assistance, I shall. I shall also dial 911 but, I will also render as much assistance as I can. Perhaps you lack the intestinal fortitude to physically help your fellow man?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,435,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, you said it perfectly - if everyone would help their "neighbor", what a benefical impact it can have on our communities and society at large.

well, yes, especially if you get to FIRE YOUR GUN while doing so. Yippee! Bang! Bang! Ride 'em cowboy! Please pop a cap in him!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
well, yes, especially if you get to FIRE YOUR GUN while doing so.
If using my firearm to protect my neighbor is necessary, then yes, I would.

You certainly have the right to turn tail and run away - that is your choice.

Personally, I will try to help another human being.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 PM

959 posts, read 2,351,256 times
Church...your posts smack of either complete irrationality or someone who is deliberately trying to "tweak" us "gun nuts" into righteous anger ...I had an ex who enjoyed playing that type of game in chat rooms

I just can't take ya seriously enough to get mad, I'm afraid. You're pretty fun, actually...in small doses!

If my implication that you are trolling is wrong, my apologies.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:23 PM

198 posts, read 202,720 times
The Rambo icon is somewhat passee...

We are just normal people who want neither to be sheep nor to be wolves...

Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Church...your posts smack of either complete irrationality or someone who is deliberately trying to "tweak" us "gun nuts" into righteous anger ...I had an ex who enjoyed playing that type of game in chat rooms

I just can't take ya seriously enough to get mad, I'm afraid. You're pretty fun, actually...in small doses!

If my implication that you are trolling is wrong, my apologies.
I'm deadly serious. More people die from gun suicides than from gun murders by a significant amount. The peer reviewed professional research on guns in the home show unequivacably that you are three times as likely to die from a gun , if you keep one in your home. That is primarily from gun use on intimate acquaintances.

Home invasions are in fact so rare that the police don't even track them as a separate crime. When some case controlled studies were done, gun owners managed to use a gun for self defense in a home invasion about 3% of the time. It all adds up to a big case of DENIAL among gun owners. You keep a gun because it makes you feel safe. Keep a rabbits foot, it does less harm.

I grew up around guns, hunted as a boy and young man, served six years in the military and was qualified sharpshooter on the .45. I know guns and gun safety. I'm also not in love with a gun any more than I'm in love with a hammer. If a gun were a useful tool I'd have one (other than the antique .22 that was my grandfather's).

If you can't take that seriously, you need to lighten up on the pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.