Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:20 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times

Advertisements

I think a regular 308 FMJ would zip thru most body armour nicely.
Tho I agree with Mr Phillips in that for most peple a shorgun is a great weapon, likely better than a handgun. But thats home defense.
The folks that are scared because people have pistols would surely panic if you walked down the road with a shotgun in your hand.

The fact is training to be safe & effective with a handgun is not hard. People are also responsible enough to know when they are too freaked out or if it would be best to sit tight. The sheer numbers of civilian guns vs the number of accidents makes that a no brainer.

RL too is right. Least about me. It has nothing to do with being a gun nut but I dont care much about suicides. Its simply not my affair & certainly shouldn't limit my liberties. But then heres a guy who doesnt even believe we have a right to go where we please.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
haha very funny. alot of shooters such as myself have shot at targets and live human beings before in combat. I have military training, but I am not in the military anymore. I am therefore put in the group of people that is a civilian shooter that shoots at competitions.
also remember that just because you are a cop or in the military does not mean you have shot at people before.

C-Troop, 2nd ACR Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Thank you for your service & for remembering what you fought for once back among us. Men like you make this country great.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Well, I'll be sure to give your erstwhile intruder both barrels then, and scrape what's left of him (including his bullet-proof vest) off the wall.

By the bye, posession of armor-piercing ("cop-killing") bullets constitutes a crime in many states.
Again this shows you are far from any kind of expert. "Cop Killer" bullets are something made up by the media and anti-gun groups. Originally they were Teflon coated bullets that were sold only to military and law enforcement but after the media blabbed their existance to everyone, the criminals went looking for them. Not one cop has been shot by Teflon coated bullets as far as I've ever heard but I could be wrong. The anti's go from "Dum-Dum" bullets which are those horrible hollowpoints to FMJ and high power rifle bullets which are at different ends of the spectrum as far as ballistics go. They want them all banned. Can't get the guns banned so go after the ammo. Any centerfire rifle round will penetrate a police vest. That included the 30-30,30'06,308 Win and any other common deer hunting round, varment rounds and other hunting rounds.

A shotgun is a great defense gun if the recoil can be handled. Most women can handle a 20 gauge with practice but the manuverability is not nearly as good as a handgun.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 AM

Click the link for a realistic view of Americas opinion about DC style gun control.
Sure looks like the trend is towards relaxing stupid restrictions & restoring the freedom to excercise your right to self defense or just carrying a gun.
Its not just in "dog patch" that people can carry. Its ONLY in 2 crappy cities & 2 states you cant. An intelligent person would say that those four places are the exception & go against the grain of mainstream USA.

GunMap.org -- The Death of Gun Control -- 2007

Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 AM

358 posts, read 518,392 times
Quote:
Certainly you are right with regard to military weapons where accuracy and maximum effective range are the critical issues; however that is not the case in close quarters, i.e., inside one's home. Ask any police officer, and they will tell you that a shotgun is the effective weapon of choice.

that is why most cops are getting away from the shotgun and going to a semi automatic AR-15 in their cars, right?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Well, I'll be sure to give your erstwhile intruder both barrels then, and scrape what's left of him (including his bullet-proof vest) off the wall.

By the bye, posession of armor-piercing ("cop-killing") bullets constitutes a crime in many states.

buying after the ban was put into effect you would be correct, but if bought before the ban it is a different thing.
also I do not live in a fear mongering facist lieberal state, Montana believes in the right of self defense and the individual right to own and use firearms.

Last edited by Losertarian; 06-12-2008 at 05:20 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think a regular 308 FMJ would zip thru most body armour nicely.
Tho I agree with Mr Phillips in that for most peple a shorgun is a great weapon, likely better than a handgun. But thats home defense.
The folks that are scared because people have pistols would surely panic if you walked down the road with a shotgun in your hand.

The fact is training to be safe & effective with a handgun is not hard. People are also responsible enough to know when they are too freaked out or if it would be best to sit tight. The sheer numbers of civilian guns vs the number of accidents makes that a no brainer.

RL too is right. Least about me. It has nothing to do with being a gun nut but I dont care much about suicides. Its simply not my affair & certainly shouldn't limit my liberties. But then heres a guy who doesnt even believe we have a right to go where we please.

actually 308 fmj ball ammo can be defeated by level 4 armor which has the ballistic plates in it. it takes an armor piercing round to go through it.
also round placement is a very important factor even if you do not have armor piercing rounds.
if you shoot the perp in the chest and he does not go down, then aim for something else until he does go down, and keep shooting until he does go down, whether it is 3, 9, or 19 rounds keep shooting until he is down onto the floor or dirt.
my choices in target placement in order are chest, head and then pelvis.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 AM

208 posts, read 412,131 times
People who are for gun control want to make it easier for a thug to rape a woman.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM

208 posts, read 412,131 times
Guns empower women.

Gun control nuts are for stripping women of that power.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
Mace® pepper spray is more chic; and probably just as effective to deter a sexual assault. At least then you don’t risk being disarmed by your assailant and raped; or charged with manslaughter if you kill him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies