Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromTN View Post
Banning handguns will cause a decrease in crime in Black and Hispanic communities where gangs and criminal activity are rampant but will negatively affect a middle-class America continuously on the run from negative immigration and social policies that bring 'diversity to the doorstep' so-to-speak with carjackings, robberies, murder, violence, etc.
Banning handguns will not make any difference in the crime rate in the "Black and Hispanic" communities, or anywhere else for that matter. Make a law that bans all handguns, then show me a drug dealer or a gang member who will be anxious to turn his gun in.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM

329 posts, read 586,003 times
Americans in Agreement With Supreme Court on Gun Rights
PRINCETON, NJ -- The Supreme Court's ruling on Thursday that a District of Columbia ban on handgun ownership is unconstitutional appears to be solidly in step with public opinion. A clear majority of the U.S. public -- 73% -- believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of Americans to own guns. And almost 7 out of 10 Americans are opposed to a law that would make the possession of a handgun illegal, except by the police.

I posted this same article in the presidential election forum. I think its telling that the court's decision was 5-4, even when 70% of Americans believe the 2nd Amendment guarantees them the right to own firearms...

Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
Americans in Agreement With Supreme Court on Gun Rights
PRINCETON, NJ -- The Supreme Court's ruling on Thursday that a District of Columbia ban on handgun ownership is unconstitutional appears to be solidly in step with public opinion. A clear majority of the U.S. public -- 73% -- believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of Americans to own guns. And almost 7 out of 10 Americans are opposed to a law that would make the possession of a handgun illegal, except by the police.

I posted this same article in the presidential election forum. I think its telling that the court's decision was 5-4, even when 70% of Americans believe the 2nd Amendment guarantees them the right to own firearms...
Those four dissenting justices on the court really shouldn't be on the court in the first place. They're in their own little worlds and make no effort to follow the Constitution as written.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Thread closed, that's enough.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Open for business, be kind to each other...

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
I wrote on another thread what a unique country we live in to be able to have a ruling like this. I didn't think of Switzerland, which may be the only other country in the world that has the same view of self protection. Anyway, a great day for the individual in America today!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 PM

35 posts, read 50,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I wrote on another thread what a unique country we live in to be able to have a ruling like this. I didn't think of Switzerland, which may be the only other country in the world that has the same view of self protection. Anyway, a great day for the individual in America today!
I concur. This ruling, while it only applies to DC, will bring about many litigations, probably starting with Chicago, that will get this set straight around the country.

Daily has already stated that he will fight it to the end, but considering the ruling, I don't think he will get very far.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitpicker View Post
I concur. This ruling, while it only applies to DC, will bring about many litigations, probably starting with Chicago, that will get this set straight around the country.

Daily has already stated that he will fight it to the end, but considering the ruling, I don't think he will get very far.
have any of you heard the words from Chicago's mayor? wow is he ticked off lol.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
have any of you heard the words from Chicago's mayor? wow is he ticked off lol.
Yup,
But he should be scared. JMHO but any person jailed in any of these places for nothing more than possessing a gun should have cause for legal action.
If the mayor was instrumental in the laws creation he should be removed from office, by the police in cuffs & serve time.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
From what I heard the ruling allows for "regulation" by local authorities. This can make getting the license more expensive than buying the gun. Less affluent people can be denied their rights in this manner even if an absolute ban is unconstitutional. Keep the pressure on your local, county and state governments to make certain that these rights are not taken by bureaucratic bumbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies