Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually, after boot camp, I never did have to handle a weapon. Not my job, man.
Heck - even Doctors and Medics have to qualify with weapons on a regular basis - and shooting isn't "their job" man

Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Interesting! Anyway...

Have you ever been shot or shot at? Yes

Have you ever shot or shot at another person? No

Has a close family member or friend been killed as a result of a gun (intentional or accidental)? No

Do you personally know of any children that have been killed as a result of a gun? No (note: GunCite-Gun Accidents

Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your own - by the use of your gun? Perhaps. I will never be sure..since I had the gun at the time.

Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your won - without a gun? Tough call to make

Do you hunt animals as the primary source of your food or for "sport"? This is a loaded question as there is a third, and more likely possiblity. That is, being a hunter who eats the meat provided. It not being a "primary source", but not for pure sport either.

Have a large number of crimes against people (murders, robberies, rapes - NOT property crimes) occurred in your immediate neighborhood, your side of town, where you work? "Large" is a relative term. But by and large, no

Do you live in an urban, suburban, rural setting? Urban

What are your views on the 2nd amendment and gun ownership? The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Should ALL felons be prohibited from gun ownership? No. BUT...with qualifications. Unless the felony is one involving violent crimes against person or property (robbery, etc), then even they should have the right to possess a firearm within their own domains to protect themselves. This is a tough one, I admit...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Have you ever been shot or shot at?
NO
Have you ever shot or shot at another person?
Yes

Has a close family member or friend been killed as a result of a gun (intentional or accidental)?
Yes
Do you personally know of any children that have been killed as a result of a gun?
No
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your own - by the use of your gun?
YES
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your won - without a gun?
NO
Do you hunt animals as the primary source of your food or for "sport"?
Primary source of food? No Sport? Yes
Have a large number of crimes against people (murders, robberies, rapes - NOT property crimes) occurred in your immediate neighborhood, your side of town, where you work?
Yes
Do you live in an urban, suburban, rural setting?
Rural
What are your views on the 2nd amendment and gun ownership?
I support the 2nd and a persons right to own firearms
Should ALL felons be prohibited from gun ownership?
Yes

Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Again, all you anti-gunners; look at the poll. You are vastly outnumbered. Doesn't this tell you something?
With over 20,000 gun laws on the books in this country I'd say we have more than enough!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
just going to awnser your questions one at a time

Have you ever been shot or shot at?

never have

Have you ever shot or shot at another person?

Never have had to, thank god.

Has a close family member or friend been killed as a result of a gun (intentional or accidental)?

I had a friend that did kill himself with a rifle that he had stolen in middle school.

Do you personally know of any children that have been killed as a result of a gun?

see last question.

Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your own - by the use of your gun?

nope, and hope to never have to use my gun to do so.

Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your won - without a gun?

a couple of times, from very very bad car accidents.

Do you hunt animals as the primary source of your food or for "sport"?

I do not hunt, only shoot paper and metal targets.

Have a large number of crimes against people (murders, robberies, rapes - NOT property crimes) occurred in your immediate neighborhood, your side of town, where you work?

I live in a very safe part of the state I live in. Not many violent crimes in my area at all.

Do you live in an urban, suburban, rural setting?

I live in the suburbs of a neiboring town of denver.

What are your views on the 2nd amendment and gun ownership?

I will never give my guns up. The right to bear arms is just as important to me as the right of religion and free speech.

Should ALL felons be prohibited from gun ownership?

This is a little of a grey area. If it was a violent crime that brought about the felony, then yes.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
If the American people need guns to protect them from their own government, I question their method on how they choose their government.
To me buying a gun to protect me from my own government is as illogical as buying a gun to protect me from myself.
And I am not someone who easily trusts others.
WE are a country because of our use of firearms. The British government would still be in charge if we had not forcefully removed them from power. Our founding fathers wanted to set up a system of checks and balances, and if it were to be pulled apart by our own government, then it was the rights and the need of the people to correct things. A government that is oppressing the people is imposable to remove without force.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by small arms
Quote:
You dont trust others, but you trust your government?
I trust that the Dutch have learned what fascism does to a nation. They have lost many people while hiding the Jews from the Nazis.
And how the Dutch government handles Geert Wilders (or right extremism) in general proves that I am correct.

When it comes to America history tells me that America still doesn't know how to deal with fascism (McCarthyism, Indian Reservations, Internment of Asian Americans in WWII, Guantanamo Bay).

Originally Posted by Noahma
Quote:
WE are a country because of our use of firearms. The British government would still be in charge if we had not forcefully removed them from power.
And yet you have no problem stealing land that is not yours?
This was also only possible with the use of your firearms.

Quote:
A government that is oppressing the people is imposable to remove without force.
So Ghandi did the impossible?
Without using any physical violence Ghandi and his followers succeeded in forcing the British colonials out of India.

It seems to me that to Americans guns just act like a security blanket.
Unfortunately guns are far more lethal than a security blanket.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by small armsI trust that the Dutch have learned what fascism does to a nation. They have lost many people while hiding the Jews from the Nazis.
And how the Dutch government handles Geert Wilders (or right extremism) in general proves that I am correct.

When it comes to America history tells me that America still doesn't know how to deal with fascism (McCarthyism, Indian Reservations, Internment of Asian Americans in WWII, Guantanamo Bay).

Originally Posted by NoahmaAnd yet you have no problem stealing land that is not yours?
This was also only possible with the use of your firearms.

So Ghandi did the impossible?
Without using any physical violence Ghandi and his followers succeeded in forcing the British colonials out of India.

It seems to me that to Americans guns just act like a security blanket.
Unfortunately guns are far more lethal than a security blanket.
you still don't get it about the Indian reservations. THEY ARE NOT FORCED TO LIVE THERE. I have quite a few friends that are Native Americans. They do not live poor, they do not live on a reservation. the Japanese camps were a very bad idea, although I do see the rational of them. I would have been fully opposed to them.

I did not take the land from the Indians. I cannot be personally responsible for something that happened several hundred years ago.

As for your Ghandi comment, I believe he did manage the imposable. How many other nations were freed from tyranny by peacefully demonstrations? The Chinese kill protesters, the Iranians hang people from cranes in town squares that oppose their leaders, or wear wrong clothing.
I can go on with oppressive governments that well... they slaughtered millions of people for opposing the government, while you may be able to find maybe half a dozen or so peacefull endings. Russia, Germany, Italy, England, Scottland / Ireland, I can go on. I stated most recent and ongoing ones earlier here.

guns are not a safety blanket in America, it is an insurance policy. We have decided that the only way to keep from being oppressed, and ruled over by tyrants is to arm and keep the power in the peoples hands, not the governments. They are not here to rule over me, they are here to do the work that WE THE PEOPLE wish.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
yet you have no problem stealing land that is not yours?
What land was "stolen" by whom? Be specific, please.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by TexasReb
Quote:
What land was "stolen" by whom? Be specific, please.
Bought, coerced, threatened, promised etc. by the (European) settlers and / or American government from the natives.

Originally Posted by Noahma
Quote:
the Japanese camps were a very bad idea, although I do see the rational of them.
Do you also see the rationale behind the Nazi final solution?
I mean the Nazis were the embodiment of 'rationality', they are masters in applying the scientific method to their problems.

Quote:
guns are not a safety blanket in America, it is an insurance policy.
If that were the case there would be no crime in America since almost anyone has a gun.
And yet the facts that you have idiots enter a school and shoot to kill as many as they can before they are killed themselves cannot be called an incident anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies